Thinking Of Leaving The Fold

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

JoeC

Thinking Of Leaving The Fold

Postby JoeC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:03 pm

Finally getting round to seriously selling my Fazer and 11S and thinking of what to get next. Depending on how I sell the bikes i.e. a dealer, I may go over to Suzuki and get a V Strom as they are fairly decent bikes. Looking at 2nd hand bikes rather than new. However, would still love a GS and would get one if I got cash from my bikes rather than PX.

Anybody got any experiences with either the 650 or 1000 V Strom? Been reading some reviews and they generally come out saying very good bikes. Also thought about a Transalp but don't think this is really for me.

Mainly use bike to commute into London (round trip of 26 miles) with the occasional blasts out into the sticks.

Thoughts appreciated.

PS
Anybody wanna buy a Fazer 600 £1600 or 11S £3K? PM me if you want more details.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:01 pm

I ran a Vstrom 1000 for a while and it was fine. Comfy, but r1100s would run rings round it handling wise. Have had a few GS, tdm, benelli trek, vstrom etc and if I were in your postition I'd be tempted to sell teh fazer and try a cheap trailie first such as a tdm
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

GeordieBoy

Postby GeordieBoy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:05 pm

From experience, buy the one you'll enjoy owning & polishing the most. The one you keep wandering into your garage to admire (the GS, then!).Buying a motorcycle is something you should do with your heart, not your head IMO.

Mark
'06 RSVR & '98 FireBlade
Image Image

winger

Postby winger » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Buy what ever floats your boat,but always buy a bike with your head,far to important to let a silly thing like you heart get in the way,when i first rode my S,my first impressions!!!,'biggest pile of shite i've ever ridden'thats what my heart was telling me!!! i bought it :wink:

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:30 am

I left the fold a couple of months ago though still can't resist remaining on the Forum (I did get a GS though :D )

At the end of the day you've just got to go with whatever "floats your boat".......and what the budget allows!

What you require out of a bike does change over time.

You only live once (apparently) so give it a go :D

Regards Bob

JoeC

Postby JoeC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:30 am

I never really got on with the S since I bought it about 18 months ago. LOVE the engine but don't like the 'leaning forward' stance even though it is more sports-tourer. Weight is also a bit of an issue but not too much. Sat on a CBR600RR recently and it was so small and light. I know it is a different type of bike but you know what I mean.

Always had 'sit up' style bikes (Diversion 600, Fazer 600) and prefer this stance. Not sure if I would like the full wind in body of the Transalp but never know until test ridden one. That's why I would like a GS as it has the Boxer engine and stance.

Cheers boys & ladies. In fact, are there any Boxerettes?
No longer a motorcycle owner.

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:56 am

JoeC wrote:I never really got on with the S since I bought it about 18 months ago. LOVE the engine but don't like the 'leaning forward' stance even though it is more sports-tourer. Weight is also a bit of an issue but not too much. Sat on a CBR600RR recently and it was so small and light. I know it is a different type of bike but you know what I mean.

Always had 'sit up' style bikes (Diversion 600, Fazer 600) and prefer this stance. Not sure if I would like the full wind in body of the Transalp but never know until test ridden one. That's why I would like a GS as it has the Boxer engine and stance.

Cheers boys & ladies. In fact, are there any Boxerettes?

I think you've answered you own question. The GS may be a bit more pricey at the beginning but they will be worth more at the end, so it all balances out.
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:34 pm

Bob

You're not alone, there are several ex-S and now GS owners on the forum :D, the only stipulation is you must have a rare red one.

Cheers

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

Cobbster

Postby Cobbster » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:05 pm

I faced a similar dilema a few months ago. I love the 11S but was getting a bit pi$$ed off with aching wrists and back on long journeys. I looked at other bikes but my pocket would not allow me to get what I really wanted which was a GS 1150 or 1200. So I parted with couple of hundred notes and bought some bar backs and longer s/s brake hoses which for me transformed my bike.
The riding stance is very similar to my old Fazer 600, upright but not super moto. The bike seems more flickable in the twisties and with a higher screen theres no wind blast issues.

I liked my bike but never loved it, now I do love it and I'm pleased I kept it.

Cheers, Cobbster
Mick Jagger : "These aren't wrinkles, there laughter lines mate". George Melly : " Nothings that funny!!!!".

winger

Postby winger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:46 pm

It's a funny old game e'h,i've always had high bars so i've never had a problem with the rideing position,it's the dog slow motor that rattles my fillings out,but here i am still with it,8 years this weekend!!!,like i said buy e'm with your head :wink:

m25jambuster

Postby m25jambuster » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:05 pm

Could always buy a Triumph Sprint ST !!!!!

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:22 pm

Cant decide whether or not to keep the cbr. Its a bike ive always wanted and i would think it wont drop much more money if any, but just dont think i'll use it much.
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

winger

Postby winger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:09 pm

m25jambuster wrote:Could always buy a Triumph Sprint ST !!!!!

I nearly did,i rode one on my own,my other half couldn't shut me about it,i thought it was great,rode it two up!!! an utter utter disaster,so much so, we new within yards of setting off that it was a no go'er,by time we got to some open road just a waste of time,the aerodynamics are zero two up,as bad as the Blackbird and jesus thats saying something,hence why i've looked at K1200s's,bland 4 cylinder motor,crap fuelling,a gear change that make an 1100s look good,but it's the bollox's two up,were back to the head and heart thing!!!,it's a shame cuz you can buy Sprints for peanuts,and as it's looks impossible to but a K in the spec i want looks like it'll have to be a new'un :cry:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:53 pm

winger wrote:we got to some open road just a waste of time,the aerodynamics are zero two up,as bad as the Blackbird and jesus thats saying something:

Funny that - my good lady reckons the BB's the most comfortable bike she's ever been on the back of. Horses for courses and all that. :) After all I've now done 15000 mile on the Blackbird in the last 11 months and now really can't think of anything I'd replace it with.

Joe - reading on advrider.com it seems the Stroms are bulletproof mechanically (loads with well into 6-figure mileage) but need a lot of TLC to stop the corrosion.

winger

Postby winger » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Gromit wrote:
winger wrote:we got to some open road just a waste of time,the aerodynamics are zero two up,as bad as the Blackbird and jesus thats saying something:

Funny that - my good lady reckons the BB's the most comfortable bike she's ever been on the back of. Horses for courses and all that. :) After all I've now done 15000 mile on the Blackbird in the last 11 months and now really can't think of anything I'd replace it with.

Joe - reading on advrider.com it seems the Stroms are bulletproof mechanically (loads with well into 6-figure mileage) but need a lot of TLC to stop the corrosion.[/quote

My other half nows what it's like to sit on a bike for 16 hours,cuz sometimes thats whats involved,my other half says it crap,it's crap :wink:,if your rideing one up there are loads of bikes out that get the job done

As for the suzuki,i had to collect one the other day,god knows who designs e'm but they sure as hell don't sit on a bike like i do,as opposed to yamaha.

Return to “Boxerbanter”