ST Review

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Rev Fred

ST Review

Postby Rev Fred » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:06 pm

I took an R1200 ST out from Vines for a few hours on Saturday in the snow and hail, and it was frankly brilliant, and I'm probably going to buy one.

Before I get into full swing, I came at this bike wanting to like it, but fully expecting to be disappointed after everything I had heard about it. I currently have a 40K VFR which needs replacing, and prior to that I had a R1100S, which some of you may remember. Before that it was all Jap sports bikes. I also ride Classic racers, and test ride bikes llike Gromit buys them. I commute 80 odd miles everyday into London, do trackdays once or twice a year, and I like to get my knee down regularly because I think its great fun.

I dig BMWs because I like their wacky design. The ST appeals because it is so mad in appearance. It is the perfect companion to my Vel Satis. I also like BMWs because they are underrated by most, and signal owners out as those with at least some imagination. Also important, but not so much to me, is the qualilty and all the extra features. I don't personally believe BMWs are as well made as Hondas, as my VFR has lasted considerably better than my R11 did.

Slinging a leg over the ST the most remarkable thing is how small and neat it feels. I didn't expect this at all. The tank is about half the width of that on the VFR, and overall the ST is about 5 per cent lighter too. As it carries its weight lower down, it actually feels a lot lighter than the Honda.

The ergonomics are exceptional. I had the seat at the higher setting, but I don't know where the bars were. The riding position was very similar to the VFR, which I also had not expected. I played about with the adjustable screen, but found it made no real difference to me how ever it was set. The plus point to mention is that I had no problems with any setting, as I have had considerable problems with other BMW screens in the past. The bike looks best from the front with the screen down.

We started out with a 30 mile blast up the motorway, and there is nothing to report but that this bike is near perfect in such conditions. But I was expecting that, and my real questions were about its "sporting" crudentials. Is this a bike that would let me scrape my knee sliders every day?

Well, it was very cold, and very wet and wintery, but I think I got my answer. Its no, but yes.

It all comes down to what you think "sporty" means. Is a bike more sporty the better it is at being ridden like a race bike, or is it more sporty the more fun it is to ride it like a race bike? Which is the more sporting team, Minardi or McLaren?

I'll not deny that I could lap a track quicker on an R1 than on the ST, but to my mind that misses the point.

So, in terms of raw talent the ST is not a pedigree sports bike, but crucially, it IS good enough to be ridden like a sports bike, and you can most definatley have fun on it. I once rode my VFR in the fast group at a track day, and while I was mixing it with 999s and R1s, an instructer on a bog standard GS blitzed past the lot of us and buggered off. I got it all on camera. The ST is better handling and faster than the GS.

So yes, if I had one of these bikes I would be reaching for fresh knee sliders every few months. At first the bike felt quite weyward because, as I discovered during a break, the rear pre-load was at its softest position. However, once I had re-set the rear pre-load to maximum, it was all a lot better. It still all a bit loose and flabby, but you just have to make up for this with skill.

The best thing about the ST, from a "sporting" point of view, is the engine. It has 110 bhp, but this is all channelled to the mid range, so it picks up like a brute from about 50mph. Following RB on the GS 800, where he had to wait for gaps in the traffic I had no such trouble, able to slot the bike to where ever I wanted wih a quick gun of the mighty engine. The power delivery is is quite refined, so you can ride like this is the wet and the bike doesn't get into trouble. As a pure A to B tool the ST is mighty.

I've read some reviews of this bike which said it was "bland". I simply don't get this attitude. This bike is about as flavoursome as Haggis Vindaloo. It has character with a capital K. I think an accusation of blandness says more about the reviewer than the bike. I suppose if you rode this bike like a tourer, at sub limit speeds, and like Mother Theresa after a particularly heavy bong session, then it would seem so accomplished that it might appear "bland". But this is no excuse. This bike is hugely quick, and if you give it the berries it is incredibly rewarding.

Anyone who says this bike is not sporty simply isn't trying hard enough. In my view ANY bike can be sporty, and in fact, the less adept the bike is at being ridden fast, the more enjoyable it is to ride it like that. I'll tell you what bland is, bland is riding an R1 at 80mph. OK, there may be some satisfaction to be had from riding a bike with razor sharp handling that can take anything you throw at it, but where is the challenge in that? Satisfying it may be, but exciting and sporty it simply isn't. Riding an R1 in a sporty fashion on British Roads is like riding an ST like a tourer. Its dull and it requires no imagination.

On the other hand, chucking an ST into a round about in a snow storm at 80mph is exciting. Its proper exciting. I mean its pupil dilating, bowl clenching, stomach churningly exciting. Some bikes may be accomplished speedsters, but this thing is proper FUN. Remember when Rossi rode for Honda? He was "condemned" to win, as he put it. But as soon as he switched to the inferior Yamaha team, THATS when Moto GP got exciting. Why is Moto GP boring now? Its because the best just wins in a predictable and boring way. Where's the fun in that?

One last thought. In a recent TWO there was an article about the GS. It ended with these words: "If you really want a bike that feels normal the very first time you ride it and doesn't feel any different six months later, stick with what you've got. But if you want to grow as a sports rider, get on one of these."

My thoughts exactly.
Last edited by Rev Fred on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ruffy

st

Postby Ruffy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:18 pm

It sounds like you like it fred,good luck whatever you do! :D
ruffy

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:29 pm

Nice review - and good to know you & James are still terrorising the roads of the SE :D ;)

I had a blat on an ST a year or 2 ago and liked it very much. The demo bike had a badly squared-off rear tyre and the rear shock's damping adjuster was fully out (pogo'd like a..well...pogo stick) but the bike still felt good. Nice engine especially. Very, very comfy too. :)

I'd have one. :)

dave2wheels

Postby dave2wheels » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:23 pm

good man, that's the ticket.
Get an ST and join the small but happy band (that'll make 3 of us i think) revel in the battery under the seat, stunning engine (imo), slick gearchanges and looks(!)
don't expect to find too many many bargain parts and accessories on offer, there's more bikes than parts to be found!!
Dave (not too far from you either...maybe you could drop the indicators off for me when you head to vines!!!!!)

peter f

Postby peter f » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Erm...gentlemen, bike maybe OK, but that face/design(?)...looks like Darth Vader when in good mood.
R12S, black, ex Ohlins (now WP), full HPE, RB3(in place - at last)

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:57 pm

peter f wrote:Erm...gentlemen, bike maybe OK, but that face/design(?)...looks like Darth Vader when in good mood.

It all depends on whether you want to stand and look at it, or ride it!
They all look ugly with me on.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

BRIAN-63

Postby BRIAN-63 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi just swaped my 1100s for the st well happy with it :lol: have done a few mod on it like change head light bulbs (better if you remove the clocks first) £13 a pair @ halfords , changed the rear carrier for the kappa modle(same but cheeper than givi) BMW one now hanging on the wall in gararge.The st even has room for my intercom!!!! Found i had to increas the damping so the bike didnt squat & bounce about still experimenting with it @ the moment tho not sure which is the best poition for the screen tho :? all the best Brian

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:35 pm

buy what you want thats what i say,if you bought a bike by what the mags say, we would all be riding h#nda`s,
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:39 pm

ianbcr wrote:buy what you want thats what i say,if you bought a bike by what the mags say, we would all be riding h#nda`s,

I am.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Rev Fred

Postby Rev Fred » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:42 pm

peter f wrote:Erm...gentlemen, bike maybe OK, but that face/design(?)...looks like Darth Vader when in good mood.

Man! Who WOULDN'T want a bike that looks like Darth Vader?

I think the design team at BMW are definately Sci-Fi fans. The K12R is the spitting image of Bender from Futurama.

The fact you don't like the look of this bike just makes me like it more. Thanks for that!

winger

Postby winger » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:48 pm

As was said to me last year,part of owning a motorcycle is haveing to walk past it in the garage,and you can look at an ST from any angle you like and it's still one ugly MF.

f90x

Postby f90x » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:14 pm

yup, everything i've read about them says that they are really good but man it sho is one ugly mutha.
Last edited by f90x on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rev Fred

Postby Rev Fred » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Great, thats two more for the ugly box.

Any more?

BRIAN-63

Postby BRIAN-63 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:29 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :lol: it has been said to me my s looked like it had a squint :o but at the end of the day its a bike & a BMW :D it does what it says on the tin! it just looks a little differat but thats fine by me :P

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:39 pm

It is the perfect companion to my Vel Satis.

... this is the first and only good reason to buy one, I've heard 'till now.

I had one for a loaner for a week and agree with all your observations.... but then again if you compare it to R1100S it's not better: it is in the touring department (wind protection, comfy seat a.s.o.), but it definitely isn't in the sports department (but you could fix that).

Sure you can wear your kneepads, but if you cut the crap and stop hanging about like a monkey, you'll drag the footpegs every corner. The suspension for sure doesn't cope with that kind of riding style (but ...you could fix that).

... but then again it IS probably THE ONLY BIKE that will match your Vel Satis !!

Good luck, with it, it is a perfect commuter/touring bike so you won't be dissapointed.

HJ

p.s. If you want to know what they mean if they call the ST 'bland', you should take a R1200S for a test ride.... the one I use for commuting.... not perfect but, IMHO, better looking and not .... uh 'bland'.

Return to “Boxerbanter”