A Message from Overipe's son

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

overipe&keen

A Message from Overipe's son

Postby overipe&keen » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:48 pm

I'm sorry to have to tell you that my dad has died doing what he loved on Thursday the 3rd of April at 1pm.

Eon was in Spain travelling to the Southern Coast with his two friends leading the group. I'm not 100% on the details but he was apparently spooked by some shadow on the bend at about 40mph and while adjusting his bike, one of his panniers slipped off, causing him to lose control and hit a rock face. I find some respite in that he died almost instantly and probably felt no pain. Everything was done for him as one of his friends was a paramedic, and CPR was tried for 45 minutes.

My dad loved posting on the forums, and would always be late for tea as a result of them, much to my mum's displeasure! Biking had been his passion from a young age and he could always be found fettling away on his pride and joy in the garage. Despite (!) his addiction to petrol, Eon was a loving man, husband and father and I fail to think of anyone who did not like him, I only hope to be the man he was.

I think my Dad had some riding partners on the site, so if you knew him personally and would like to attend the funeral in a couple of weeks please email me at jamescarlyle1@gmail.com

Take it easy on the roads,

James Carlyle, in memory of Eon Charles Carlyle (1951 - 2008)
Honoured Member of the Colgate Club !!

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:02 pm

Oh James - I really don't know what to say. That's absolutely tragic. :(

I first met your dad on the Wales weekend last year, during which we spent a long time nattering; the first thing which came into my head was what a totally smashing guy he was. I know we will all miss him terribly, both on the forum and at future get-togethers.

Thoughts and prayers for you and the rest of your family at such a terrible time.

gus

Postby gus » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:36 pm

Dear James , Such tragic news.I never met him face to face,but you soon build up a friendship through the board where we all share a common passion for motorcycling.He will be missed by all on this forum.
My thoughts are with you and your family.
All the best
Gus

leasky

Postby leasky » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Dear James. I am so sorry for your loss.

I had the pleasure of spending time with your father at the Hawes rally. He was staying in the same B and B as myself and my girlfriend and we were able to spend some time with him over the course of the weekend.

He was the kind of guy who we warmed to in an instant.

Our thoughts are with you at this time and in the coming weeks.

Colin and Clare.
Leasky

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:16 pm

James

I only met your dad briefly last year he was a really nice guy.

I am sorry but I just don't have words to express my sadness.

Bob

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:31 pm

James,
Very sorry to hear of this, Met your dad a few times in the last year or so and can only say again what a nice genuine guy he was. Our thoughts are with you and your family. Really don't know what else to say at this sad time.

Regards Peter.

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:44 pm

James,
Please accept my condolances. I never met your dad, but I am deeply saddened by this. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Stevie
In hiatus from motorcycles.

Ruffy

sad news

Postby Ruffy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:54 pm

:( That's really sad news james,i never met him but my condolences at this sad time.tim(ruffy)
ruffy

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:12 pm

James I am very sorry to hear such sad news, my condolences go out to you and your family.

Andrew
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

northernboxer

Postby northernboxer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:29 pm

James, sorry to hear about your very sad loss.
met your dad for the first time in wales last year,what a super guy he was.
myself and my wife are totally shocked by your news and cannot express in words what you must be going through right now.
our thoughts are with you and your family
GARY

kitkat

Postby kitkat » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:31 pm

James,

I am shocked and saddened by your tragic loss and my thoughts are with you and your family.

I met Eon last year in Wales and as by chance all the three "Colgate" (red/silver) bikes were all staying in the same B&B and so we enjoyed a beer or two over the weekend and got to know him a little. On the Sunday Eon, PaulR and myself all road south stopping for coffee in Machynilleth (I think) and to admire the view at Llyn Clywedog before we split.

Your father was a realy nice guy and good company and I was looking forward to seeing him again this year. Makes you think.

Dave
Don't waste your time or time will waste you.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:09 pm

James,

Please accept my sincere condolences too. I met your dad last year at one of our Boxertrix weekends and enjoyed his company. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about this tragic accident and I hope you and your family find the strength to cope with you loss in the coming weeks and months. My thoughts are with you all at this difficult time.

Best wishes,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

stoney

Postby stoney » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:22 pm

James

I really am gob-smacked by this terrible news. Eon was a personal friend and a fellow-member of the Harrogate IAM group. Both myself and Hannah and totally heart-broken at this terrible, terrible news.

I first met your Dad maybe 18 months ago when he joined the IAM group, and despite him being the same age as my Dad got on instantly with him, as he was so young and heart and easy to talk to. He loved bikes, but was also interested in everything else, work, family etc. He was really supportive when my Dad had an accident last year, and was always asking about his progress every time we spoke. A more genuine, caring, honest and fun guy you couldn't hope to meet!

Eon was an excellent rider and very safe and considered in all his riding, this is a terrible accident and we will all feel his loss. James - you are really brave to have made this post, and we all appreciate you taking the time and effort to post.

As you know Eon planned to come to Wales at the end of the month, and he will be really missed there - really missed! Both Hannah and I were looking forward to seeing him.

I really mean this - if there is anything we can do to help - anything please let me know - I've emailed you. I'd definately like to attend his funeral if possible - it'd be good if some other trixters could too (maybe let me know if you're going).

I know you were all very close and his loss must be hard to bear right now.

I'm gutted, we're all gutted - shocked and upset. Our full support, prayers and thought go out to you at this time.

Andy, Hannah and family.

Last edited by stoney on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Andy

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:38 pm

James

Like many on this forum I never actually met your dad but also like many on here I feel a certain kinship to all Trixters as we all have a common interest. I have no doubt that at some time or other your father and I contributed to the same threads, maybe even exchanging experiences and advice and for that reason, I regard him as a friend I never actually met.

Please accept my deepest condolences and best wishes at this very sad time and I wish you and your family all the strength to face the future.

Greg
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:13 pm

James

I've only just read this post and I'm stunned.

I was lucky to meet your dad and got on with him very well. I helped him obtain those Ohlins last year and he was planning to come out with us very soon.

If possible I would like to come to the Funeral please. That's devastating news.

Absolutely terribkle news. Best wishes to you and your family at this awful time.

Paul B
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Return to “Boxerbanter”