the anual service

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

ianbcr

the anual service

Postby ianbcr » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:23 pm

is due in a month on my 04 bcr 2.900 miles.the Q is do i bother getting it done by bmw (how much?) my local dealer,(cheaper)or not at all,i dont get much time at the moment to do it my self working away,i know there`s not a lot to it ,mainly fluids and checks,but its the stamp in the book.it had its anual service last year when i picked it up.and the main one is`nt until 6000 miles.cheers chaps. Ian.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi Ian,

Good to see you back again :wink:

Have you priced up the annual service? I would think that you are looking at about £110 from a BMW dealer. The question is, how soon are you likely to get rid of your bike? If you might sell within the year, then the magic letters FBMWSH on the for sale advert might justify the £110. If you have bonded for life and are likely to keep it for many more years, then I'd do it yourself, since it's easy peasy.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

gus

Postby gus » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi ian
Do it yourself.If you want you can keep a log/book of all the service/parts work you do yourself to the bike during ownership.If or when you come to sell the new owner would be able to see that you looked and cared for the bike.Better than any BMW dealer stamps in my opinion.
gus

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:13 pm

dont plan on getting rid for a good while,its in mint condition and fits my size requirements for ride &height,had`nt priced from the dealers,and i have an excellent local garage near me.i will have to pick up one of them service cd`s.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

winger

Postby winger » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 am

Hi Ian

Next time you travel down to the Scott Arms,my house is behind the church on the right,i'm sure Walsall is close enough to join the B'Ham Mafia.

When ever i've bought a bike,(most have been private) i'm more interested in the bloke i'm buying it off,than the stamps in the book.

Chris

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:20 am

winger wrote:Hi Ian

When ever i've bought a bike,(most have been private) i'm more interested in the bloke i'm buying it off,than the stamps in the book.

Chris
have you talked about this with June mate???
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

Cobbster

Postby Cobbster » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:55 am

Home servicing on this bike is sooo easy. When I service the beast I print off a service shedule from my maintenance disc, follow it to the letter and attach the parts receipts to the back. All parts are bought from my main dealers or Motorworks so their the real deal. To me the hit I'll get on resale is far cheaper than paying BMW's outrages service prices. I think one trixer posted that he was quoted £480 + VAT for a 24K service, mental. I think Ive said before that when it comes to buying a bike privately if the person looks as though he or she can handle a set of spanners and have the parts receipts then I would have no worries about buying it, each to there own though.

FYI annual service parts are : Oil £15
Filter £11
Brake fluid £6
Clutch fluid £0 use the bottle bought for brakes.

Total £36
Mick Jagger : "These aren't wrinkles, there laughter lines mate". George Melly : " Nothings that funny!!!!".

exoticices

Postby exoticices » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:31 pm

I've just had my R1200S annually serviced by Clarks. Basically an oil & filter change and "carry out annual service to manufacturers schedule". Cost was just under £120. Took about an hour and a half, and they have a nice waiting area.

I appreciate people's comments on main dealer service prices, but in fairness, it cost less than having a Fireblade serviced at Streetbike (Honda/Jap dealer), so it's all relative.

I'd agree with keeping receipts if you do your own servicing. To me, it shows an organised mind (and therefore that the job has probably been done properly), but I admit I'm anally retentive with that sort of thing!

John

winger

Postby winger » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:13 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:

Chris

Oh yea very funny :wink:

As for serviceing,it's very simple,i change pads when they've worn out,oil every 3000,the airfilter in the winter when there's nothing else to do,and put my Twinmax on it when i feel it needs it,first time the tappets were ever touched it had over 17,000 on it,put a fuel filter in it when i had the tank extended,i changed the fluid in the clutch this winter,it's only been in 9 years!!! did i feel a difference?? e'rrrr No.

Service e'm when they need it,not when the book says.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:18 pm

winger wrote:

Very rarely is a truer word said. :)

_IT_

Postby _IT_ » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:24 pm

winger wrote:
bigblackfalco wrote:

Chris

Oh yea very funny :wink:

As for serviceing,it's very simple,i change pads when they've worn out,oil every 3000,the airfilter in the winter when there's nothing else to do,and put my Twinmax on it when i feel it needs it,first time the tappets were ever touched it had over 17,000 on it,put a fuel filter in it when i had the tank extended,i changed the fluid in the clutch this winter,it's only been in 9 years!!! did i feel a difference?? e'rrrr No.

Had your tank extended? that sounds interesting how much extra did you get? pun intended but also interested in the mod :)
Iain.
R1100S DDP.

winger

Postby winger » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:19 pm

Blimey,here we go :wink: ,puts 4 liters on,doesn't sound much,but if thats your reserve,means you got 18 liters to burn,if you look at mine you can see it in the picture.

There are 5 tanks,Me,Martin who has the sister bike to mine,Boxerpan,Boxertools who sold his bike,and F90x.

It was a major hassle getting them made,so much so,i couldn't be done with it,i've since come up with another plan,if i ever get off my arse :?

_IT_

Postby _IT_ » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:09 pm

ok, im not familiar with the standard tank yet so probably cant tell from a picture.. was thinking a bigger link pipe would add some capacity and as I dont have abs there is probably some space under there..
Iain.

R1100S DDP.

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:23 pm

an extra 4 ltrs makes a difference. with the mods mine has and the way i ride it i get 180 to the tank. i know this as the last time i went out i ran it dry and had to get my father to bring me a gallon as he was the closest :oops: that's 37.5 mpg if you're interested. it'll do more on a run of course.

the 'abs' space is where the extra 4ltrs is made up

FalcoDog

Postby FalcoDog » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:49 pm

I did the annual on my R12S myself. I could not have been easier and I'm sure that the bike is right. I don't trust others to do it properly.

I think the trick is to set the time aside, take your time and enjoy it.

It's a good thing to know how your bike works.
"Four wheels move the body.....Two wheels move the soul"

Return to “Boxerbanter”