RIOTD...

Please see description in 'sticky'

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Herb wrote:
Been there many times. One of my favourite countries.

I too have been there many times. I hate the place and have vowed never to go back.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:20 pm

f90x wrote:
Herb wrote:
Been there many times. One of my favourite countries.

I too have been there many times. I hate the place and have vowed never to go back.

I am surprised. I have found Russia fascinating and always had a warm welcome. I have not explored much of it, visiting Moscow. Yaroslavl and Volgograd. The last in particular was a memorable trip.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:17 pm

f90x wrote:
Gromit wrote:Nice one Steve - and one of my favourite cars too. 8)

The quality of this one isn't great (it's a 6x4" Cibachrome scanned on our cheapo printer) but I'd really like to find somewhere who can properly scan slides as I've loads of this sort of stuff...

ImageScan

Taken on Kodachrome 25 at around 8am on a day in January 1998. Nikon F3/Nikkor AI 50mm f1.4

Where is this Richard?

Steve, are you being serious :?

It is obviously the Royal Pavilion in Brighton :wink:

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:26 pm

JoeyDeacon wrote:
Where did you get that case from? I've just bought an X100s and rather like the look of that.

Nice phots by the way!

Thanks JD. :)

Case is the genuine Fuji one - I bought it as a virtually un-used one from a mate who was selling his X100 (the fool!). It is a lovely thing, and being the latest version you don't have to remove it to get to the card/battery slots.

I've become somewhat evangelical where the Fuji X cameras are concerned but since getting my X100 last October, I haven't enjoyed taking photos so much since I was a teenager with my old Praktica Nova. It's such a joy to use, beautifully made and the silent leaf shutter makes it a superb street camera.

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:30 pm

One of my favourite places

Excuse the quality but saw this Turner sun-set from our garden the other day. Stunning

DT
Last edited by Dog Tyred on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Nice one Greg - never tire of seeing photos of that place.

JoeyDeacon

Postby JoeyDeacon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Gromit wrote:
JoeyDeacon wrote:
Where did you get that case from? I've just bought an X100s and rather like the look of that.

Nice phots by the way!

Thanks JD. :)

Case is the genuine Fuji one - I bought it as a virtually un-used one from a mate who was selling his X100 (the fool!). It is a lovely thing, and being the latest version you don't have to remove it to get to the card/battery slots.

I've become somewhat evangelical where the Fuji X cameras are concerned but since getting my X100 last October, I haven't enjoyed taking photos so much since I was a teenager with my old Praktica Nova. It's such a joy to use, beautifully made and the silent leaf shutter makes it a superb street camera.

I know, fantastic cameras aren't they? I've still got my D200, which I love, with a whole case of lenses but I hardly use it anymore. I used to to do a lot of photography, some of it paid, but it was only ever a hobby. I recently started thinking about photography again and wanted something I could carry around that wasn't too complicated but had plenty of capacity to tweak exposures and so on. I already had a Nikon P6000 but I never really got on with it so started looking at Leicas as I always wanted one. The reviews compared the Leica to the X100S and I was sold, particularly as it had a viewfinder - thank God.

Since I've got the X100S, I've fallen in love with photography again. I like this camera, it really makes you work with it's fixed lens and forces you to think a little bit or you can shoot straight out of the box, the choice is yours. I'm off on holiday for three weeks on Sep 12 and I'm really looking forward to seeing what results I'll get with it!
Everything on the internet is a lie.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 pm

Been experimenting with night sky photography recently - living where we are in Lincs there's very little ambient light from large towns so we got properly dark night skies. A few weeks ago...

ImageDSCF1524

X-Pro1/Fuji 55-200

JoeyDeacon

Postby JoeyDeacon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:55 pm

That framing is perfect, like that a lot.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:01 pm

JoeyDeacon wrote:

Since I've got the X100S, I've fallen in love with photography again. I like this camera, it really makes you work with it's fixed lens and forces you to think a little bit or you can shoot straight out of the box, the choice is yours.

Nail > Head. :)

This is the crux of it, the need to really think about framing, distance etc and I'm 100% convinced it makes for better pictures. Fuji obviously thought long & hard about which focal length their baby would have, and they hit it spot on.

The daft thing though is when I look at the EXIF of the photos I took with zooms in the past, they were either at shortest or longest focal length. Very rarely in between.

JoeyDeacon

Postby JoeyDeacon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 pm

I was also unashamedly attracted by its retro look! It reminded me of my first SLR, a Pentax K1000, so I was really drawn to this one but the reviews sold it for me in the end. Interesting result with the flash as well, find myself using the backlit mode rather than full on, seem to get warmer results.

Interesting what you were saying about fixed lenses, most of my work was portraiture and I either used an 85 or a 50 but never a zoom. For stage work I used a hideously expensive 70-200mm 2.8, brilliant, brilliant lens but I never got my money back on it and eventually sold it. But you're absolutely right, fix that lens and see how much better your shots will be!

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 pm

Inside of a restored forge (Evoy's forge Co Wexford) from the 2012 photorally.
Last edited by nab 301 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Our Emma - no doubt watching CBeebies/Muppets or some such...

ImageDSCF0071_2

JoeyDeacon

Postby JoeyDeacon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:27 pm

That's superb, what you are using for B&W conversion? You've got the balance of light spot on there!

Not sure if this quite matches that but we're quite fond of this, my wife and our Springer who sadly passed away this year:

It was taken in Croatia two years ago, I've only done two things to it; cropped it and applied an Exposure 6 filter. It's not much but we really like it.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:34 pm

I like that JD - such a feeling of space. :)

The B&W conversion in the photo of Emma was just done with the effects tool in iPhoto. I hadn't discovered Lightroom at that time. :D

Return to “Photographer's Corner”