Postby Gromit » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:17 pm

Our Molly at Clumber Park yesterday...

ImageClumber Park

OM-2n/50-f1.4/Kodak Portra 160

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Really liking Kodak Portra :)

Image2015-08-20-0007

Thanks to Steve (f90x) for putting me onto it.

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:25 pm

They're nice Richard. Glad you're liking Portra. Loads of latitude and great for skin tones. I'm going through a 'punchy colours' faze at the moment and shooting Fuji 160S
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks Steve - these were 1/2 stop over, wondering if I might push it a full stop for the next roll. I particularly like the subtle colours the film gives on brickwork etc - with the Zuiko lenses being slightly red-biased (ie they're quite 'warm') the Portra works well.

Looks like the Fuji 160 isn't available in 35mm - or maybe I'm not looking hard enough. :(

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Gromit wrote:Thanks Steve - these were 1/2 stop over, wondering if I might push it a full stop for the next roll. I particularly like the subtle colours the film gives on brickwork etc - with the Zuiko lenses being slightly red-biased (ie they're quite 'warm') the Portra works well.

Looks like the Fuji 160 isn't available in 35mm - or maybe I'm not looking hard enough. :(

I usually shoot it a half over but my lab guys say they have some pro clients that regularly shoot a whole stop over.

Yeah, it looks like the fuji can't be had in 35mm. I've only used it in MF. That's a shame as I wanted try some in my new 35mm. I just bought a Nikon FM3a and a 35mm F2 lens. I am currently trying to get through what's left of my freezer stock of 35mm film. It includes a load of Ilford HP5 and FP4, some original Kodal Portra 400NC and even a roll of Boots 200! I'm using that one first. It's all anything up to 10 years old. I'll be pushing all of it!
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:13 am

FM3a? Oh lordy, if there's one camera I'd love to own. 8)

Really liking Portra, it's in danger of becoming my go-to film - certainly in the OM2...

ImageRAF College Cranwell

f90x

Postby f90x » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Yeah, it's a lovely thing. It's my 50th to myself. I shan't be buying any more cameras. I don't use the ones I've got nearly enough. I'm taking the Nikon to Budapest with me next week as my only camera (save for my phone) it shall be its first use. I can't wait to try it properly.

Yes, I think ultimately Portra is my favourite too.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:00 pm

So many people (who are far better photographers then I) often state that the 3a is quite possibly one of the nicest film Nikons ever made. So many features capturing the best of electronic and mechanical. I'd love one. :)

Talking of having more cameras than I need, a good friend of mine is moving his D7000 on - ok it's 'only' a crop sensor DSLR but I have a couple of nice AI Nikkors which would work well on it. Would be an interesting exercise and he's asking so little for it I'm tempted. One thing the Fuji X-Pro1 doesn't do is work quickly (one possible reason I love it so much - it makes one think) and am hoping the 7000 might just get me back into doing some bike racing photography again.

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:49 pm

I have no idea what a 'crop sensor' is but have to take issue with people who are better photographers than me - there aren't many Richard, although Steve is up there with the film side of things.

Started to watch a documentary on Don McCullin on netflix, that is something to see.

Do I get a discount next year? :wink:

f90x

Postby f90x » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:54 pm

Do it. You'll have a great range for different subjects. Crop sensor DSLRs are great for sports photography. The Fuji clearly really suits you and the Olympus is great for keeping involved with how it all started. You'll have everything you need.

The FM3 is a great tool. It's basically an FM2 with an original FE combined. No matrix meter of the FA though; evaluative only but I can live with that. My Mamyia 7 has only a spot meter! I toyed with an F3 but I had to have silver as I've wanted a silver FE for 35 years.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

f90x

Postby f90x » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Topcat wrote:I have no idea what a 'crop sensor' is but have to take issue with people who are better photographers than me - there aren't many Richard, although Steve is up there with the film side of things.

Started to watch a documentary on Don McCullin on netflix, that is something to see

Do I get a discount next year? :wink:

That's a great documentary and he is a brave man.

P.S. I'm a particularly average photographer but I enjoy it and that's what it should be about especially if one is not being paid for it.

Steve
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:15 pm

f90x wrote:Do it. You'll have a great range for different subjects. Crop sensor DSLRs are great for sports photography.

This is what I'm thinking - I enjoyed my Canon 7D (so fast it was hardly believable) but the IQ from the Fuji sensor is in another League. I've always loved Nikons, grew up with them in my 35mm days, and actually still much prefer their colour rendering over Canon.

The Fujis are wonderful things for relatively static subjects - sure the new X-T1 is 95% there vs the latest DSLRs but we're still looking at £800+ for a T1 body. Picking up a very clean D7000 for around £200, being able to use my AI Nikkors, and perhaps adding a long zoom (or even a 200mm+ prime) and I've got a 'sports' camera with all the speed I'll need.

TC = a 'crop' sensor refers to the sensor size when compared with a 'full frame' digital camera. This has benefits and drawbacks - a larger sensor gathers more light (therefore more info) and is less noisy in low light. IQ is therefore better. Greater dynamic range, more & cleaner resolution.

A crop sensor though is cheaper to manufacture, and is great for nature/sports photography as it increases the effective focal length of a given lens. A 35mm lens on a 'crop' camera will give the same effective focal length as a 50(ish)mm on a full frame. Full frame cameras have the same size sensor as the frame on a 35mm film. Hope that makes sense?

Of course there are those who argue that below a full format camera, ALL camera sensors are cropped to some degree - that is of course correct. However, full frame is generally regarded (in DSLR terms) as 35mm.

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Bloody 'ell, you guy's type quick!

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:21 pm

So, 35mm as measured top right to bottom left?

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:00 pm

Topcat wrote:So, 35mm as measured top right to bottom left?

It's the measurement across its longest side (as opposed to TVs which are diagonal).

A good article here which explains it far better than I. :)

Return to “Photographer's Corner”