something I wondered about a long time ago

Please see description in 'sticky'

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

something I wondered about a long time ago

Postby dave the german » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:54 am

Many moons ago when I was into photography, I was into taking pics at gigs. Some of the pics I'd taken were with fast film so enlargement size was limited because of the grain. I thought I had come up with a solution but didn't have the funds to try it out - the idea was to use a highish speed slide film and then copy it with a slow speed slide film and make the enlargement with the slow speed film. Would it work?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

bigblackfalco

Re: something I wondered about a long time ago

Postby bigblackfalco » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:37 pm

dave the german wrote:Many moons ago when I was into photography, I was into taking pics at gigs. Some of the pics I'd taken were with fast film so enlargement size was limited because of the grain. I thought I had come up with a solution but didn't have the funds to try it out - the idea was to use a highish speed slide film and then copy it with a slow speed slide film and make the enlargement with the slow speed film. Would it work?

No, the slow speed film only takes a fine grain version of the high speed grainy version. You'd still have grain!
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:05 pm

I thought that too but part of me thought that by doing it with a slide copier the grain wouldn't be "large" and the grain is a part of the film? so with a slower slide it wouldn't show. Always preferred this side of photography to taking the pics which I cannot do to save my life!! Had some fun using Barfin liquid emulsion and putting images on canvas/plates etc
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Photographer's Corner”