Eprom chip identification

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

roadburner

Eprom chip identification

Postby roadburner » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Does anybody know how to identify a BCR chip?
mine just feels a bit "soggy" in the midrange and I thought that i'd better check that it's had the upgrade chip when the lasers were fitted.
mine also has a de-cat pipe and power filter, so would i need to get it re-programmed again anyway?
here's a pic of the chip that's fitted, I assumed that it would say laser or something similar on it?

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:56 pm

Seems like.
Laser chips normally have the code number on it... it is something like: 12.3456.
Even though they have higher starting numbers if I remember correctly...

Let me double check. I should have a picture of mine somewhere.
Last edited by er-minio on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1150R '03 (in pieces)
R1200GS '07 Adv
HP2 Sport '11
[I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:58 pm

Yep, it's a laser.
Congratulations :D

mine also has a de-cat pipe and power filter, so would i need to get it re-programmed again anyway?

Not really. That is for the Y piece already.
R1150R '03 (in pieces)

R1200GS '07 Adv

HP2 Sport '11

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:50 pm

That's at least cleared up one question. So I'm guessing that I'm going to struggle to improve the midrange a huge amount without serious money being thrown at it. Might play around with the ccp plug, but can't see it making a lot of difference

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:17 pm

I assume, looking at the chip's number, that is a twin spark engine.

I had no issue with the midrange (had it before with the Y piece and no chip).
Metropolis2k has the bike now and still runs fine for him too.

If the engine is in a good state and properly serviced, it might make sense to do some proper set up on it. But I'd leave that to the experts.
R1150R '03 (in pieces)

R1200GS '07 Adv

HP2 Sport '11

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:52 am

To be fair, damoace off this forum rode my BCR (the one er-minio is talking about) at Snetterton the other week back to back with his BCR. He did say if I want to get rid of that hole in the power range in the mids it'll need a power commander so I suspect he's a good person to contribute to this. He's away at the moment but I'll send him this way to pass on his thoughts when he's back.
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

DPG

Postby DPG » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:19 am

First off, I have to say that you can have confidence that the Laser chip (and more importantly the map it contains) will be fine. Laser made a lot of exhausts for the 11S and there is no doubt at all that they know what they are doing. For reference the Laser USA guy - Robert Foster - is still active over on Pelican Parts, he was/is involved with the 11S Laser systems, very knowledgeable and seems helpful too.

The only failure scenario for the chip that I can see is that the now common preference for tuners to over-write the OEM mapping on the OEM chip may have lead a previous owner/tuner to over-write the Laser map with another. That is a very long shot and I wouldn't expect it to be true - just a possibility.

Moving on to the problem in hand, can I ask when the basic servicing was done last? I'm not trying to be rude but we know that the 4v Boxer is sensitive to a few things that will leave it running ok but that knock it 'off' a little if they are not perfect. Valve clearances being one, throttle cable sync and TB sync being a couple more. I know that the midrange pull on mine is something that starts to suffer first when its time for a little corrective surgery. Other things that may be causing the mid-range sheepiness are a soft coilpack (although I'd expect an increase in vibration too), poor spark plug function on the lower pair on the twin-spark engine and perhaps a clogged injector although that would normally bring other problems along. Basically, I'd check all the normal service items before I did anything - it's not just guff, you may well find the problem.

All of the following you should read with the understanding that my usage is not typical - my BCR is highly modified, used exclusively on the track, never on the road and is always in pieces while I try to improve it to do a job it was never designed to do. This means that my definition of 'best' will differ significantly from that of a road only rider. It also means that someday soon, I'll blow it sky high and have to start again.

To clear up my conversation with Tom about his bike: I rode his bike quite hard on track at Snetterton and I remember being impressed with its smoothness and delivery overall. There was a mid-range hesitation in there though and at the 4 -4.5K range too. At the time I put it down to a standard OEM mapping which contains a lean mapping at that point for emission compliancy. I did not know at the time that Tom's bike had the same Laser chip (installed by Er-Minio) that you have in yours. Its an interesting thought that perhaps Laser had to 'hole' their map at 4K to pass the stricter emission regs in some European countries and gain type-approval for their system? Pure speculation that one though and I don't think it's likely. I also remember wondering if I could distract him with a couple of dancing girls while I nicked his front Ohlins.

Assuming yours is tickety-boo and you'd still like to improve things, there are a number of routes to take. I'm not going to into a comprehensive list of all of the many available parts and systems that all report performance gains for 11S here, that's far too much work on a day where I have to service 2 tractors and take the BCR to my workshop to weld up the downpipe that cracked at Snetterton last time. Likewise I'm not going to get into a conversation about the ethics of modifying the 11S in the first place. There are many people who find the idea of trying to improve the engine performance of the 11S absurd in the extreme. I suspect a post or two on that very topic will appear here in time. Suffice to say that I *like* to tinker and that my primary reason for having done all this work is because I enjoy it. Yes I know I'm a freak - I'm happy with it. Laptimes are just a way of keeping track of how well my mods are working. Check back to see what I do with the 12S when I get my hands on one.

Right, that's quite enough of that. I've been over a few of the tuning options over time and there are only few things that I would recommend that you do. You seem to have the first three of those - the De-cat, filter upgrade and re-chip. If you don't find a solution within the bounds if a little servicing AND can't live with the problem AND enjoy a little tinkering then I would highly recommend getting a Power Commander. Be careful here though. You should understand that the main benefit of the Power Commander is the ability to add, and just importantly, subtract a little fuel flow from the injectors at particular points in the rev-range. Think of it as fine tuning the map to your particular engine. In order to fully realise the potential of doing this you will need to buy and fit the PC3 and then take the bike to a Dynojet tuner with a rolling road and ask him to make you a custom map for your bike. He will run your bike on his dyno whilst looking at the air-fuel ratio at each point in the rev-range and configure the PC3 to make sure the AFR stays within the correct stoichiometric range for best performance (somewhere between 13:1 and 14:1 normally). Its not cheap however and normally costs about £500 including a new PC3. There may well be tuners who can remap your existing chip (Rexxer, etc). Perhaps they would be cheaper. That main point here is that your bike is run on the dyno to give a bespoke assessment of your engine and therefore a map that you *know* is good for your engine. It is never a bad idea to get a Dyno-run on an engine *before* any upgrade work. You can often find problems that way before you buy expensive upgrades and at the very least you are left with a baseline against which the effectiveness of future modifications can be measured. I speak from experience as I've done more than few Dyno runs on mine to get to where I am now. There's a thread around here someplace with a few of them. It shows the CCP differences too...

Where was I? Oh yes, I was trying to work a conclusion out of this horrible rambling mess of reply - In short, you should make some basic service checks (google Rob Lentini or try www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads), take a long look at it to see if you can live with the problem, perhaps take a current baseline dyno to see if the AFR is causing the problem (because if the AFR is good in the mid-range then your problem is either electrical or organic) and if funds permit, slap a PC3 on it before heading to the dyno.
R1250GS
R1100S BCR
KTM RC8R 12R.
2006 HD Streetglide.
Claas Arion 180
MF 135
MF 350
1943 Ford 2N Funk Flathead Conversion

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:01 pm

DPG wrote:I also remember wondering if I could distract him with a couple of dancing girls while I nicked his front Ohlins.

It's got to be worth a try! :lol:

Thanks for posting that. Really interesting reading.
2000 BMW R1150GS

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Its an interesting thought that perhaps Laser had to 'hole' their map at 4K to pass the stricter emission regs in some European countries and gain type-approval for their system?

Pure speculation here.
But I had (I have) a Y piece and Eprom on my old R1150R.
In Rome at the time you had to pass a yearly exhaust fumes test.
The bike passed with flying colours even with the modifications...
R1150R '03 (in pieces)

R1200GS '07 Adv

HP2 Sport '11

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks for the reply DPG, pretty much clearing up what I thought. I might get the valve clearances done as although i checked the TB and cables a week ago (and were spot on) I've seen the state of some of the "full dealer service history"
Trying to avoid the power commander as this is supposed to be the jump on and tour bike, I've got of a couple of other bikes to fiddle with, and I'm trying not to throw money at this one, as the others are a money pit.
The Power filter that I put in when I was taking these pictures has made a difference, as I now have some usable power about 4.5k where it was 6K before

Perhaps it's unfair to expect too much of a 10 year old twin as my last touring bike was a K1200r, however I took it out for a quick spin by myself last night (I usually take my speed triple for solo riding) and it wasn't a revelation but it certainly was a vast improvement. I was only dropping one gear for rapid overtakes rather than two. It's amazing the difference that losing over 100kg of pillion and panniers make.( as well as the aerodynamic effect that they have ) The other half certainly isn't huge but it obviously makes a big difference, that's one of the reasons that I bought this, as the speed triple became unrideable over 70 when she was on the back due to the buffeting.
I think that i've just got to attune my brain that it'll never go like a speed triple when I'm two up with luggage.

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:42 pm

roadburner wrote:I've seen the state of some of the "full dealer service history"

I'm willing to bet the worst services this bike ever had were with BMW Park Lane. It was running on one cylinder after one of them :shock:
2000 BMW R1150GS

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:06 pm

Probably the one that costed me 1k. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
R1150R '03 (in pieces)

R1200GS '07 Adv

HP2 Sport '11

stivesvelo

Postby stivesvelo » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:11 pm

I think you're right about having to re-tune the brain to the 1100, I had an Aprilia before this & thought there was something wrong as it didn't have the instant punch & top end of the big V twin, that and the the extra weight, it (Aprilia) was also like a mad puppy & a pain in the whotsit trying to ride smoothly without bashing helmets with a passenger.

After servicing it & re-tuning my brain it's fine & surprisingly good at covering ground fairly comfortably. A bit more power would be good, but I still enjoy the bike as it is & keeping a clean license!

I found this whilst looking around on net for info on the 1100s, if it is as good as he says (says no need for power commander) it looks like a pretty cost effective option & won't break the bank finding out, but may be more suitable for gentle touring??

https://www.facebook.com/bmwmotochip?pnref=story

BTW I was the other BCR at Gransden last weekend, good to meet another.

Return to “Boxertech”