Put paint brush cleaner in your tank

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:04 am

Cellulose thinners is what you want, from H*lfords :)

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:28 am

Skint wrote:
Jason M wrote:
I bought some from Sainsburys at 74p for 50ml which isn't cheap + a cheap syringe. I just want to give it a try. The site reckons anything that can deal with petrol will deal with acetone and it's only 1/15th of 1 percent anyway. .78ml per litre. I reckon about 15ml a tank. It's in there now so there's no going back :shock: Should know in a couple fo days if it makes any difference.

Jason

Jason, was the acetone 100%?? as most nail varnish removers are made from a non-acetone base...

No - it's 100% acetone from the chemists and it STINKS. I've just put some Brisk plugs in so I might try and do some more Acetone too. Just as soon as I get the bike back together again. I've got the back end off at the moment to change the swing arm main bearings cos they started to creak as loudly as my old bones :cry:

Jason

Skint

Postby Skint » Wed May 04, 2005 12:46 pm

Jason, did the acetone have any impact on the Fuel econ??? Or did you give it up as a it might wreck the fuel lines etc etc..
When can the Highway agency lay softer road coverings??

Now rides a mangled wreck... Ho Hum back to the K100

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Wed May 04, 2005 2:15 pm

Skint wrote:Jason, did the acetone have any impact on the Fuel econ??? Or did you give it up as a it might wreck the fuel lines etc etc..

I got though about 100ml through a few tanks and it didn't seem to improve the economy very much (maybe 5-10miles per tank which it can easily vary anyway) but did seem to make it run a bit better, especially on idle - still backfired regularly though so it still can't be burning all the fuel. It was a very windy period when I was doing it though so I'll try again when the weather is a bit more settled to see if it improves regularly. I don't reckon it made any WOW improvement that made pissing about with a small pot of paint distroying chemicals and a syringe worth the effort.

Jason

Skint

Postby Skint » Thu May 05, 2005 8:00 am

Thats fair enough, so it sounds like the same fuel econ improvement of swappingh your plugs every weekend and cleaning up the old ones in the cycle. Have been doing this with a big box of cheap NGK's, if you keep on dropping in clean ones every week the surging is not noticeable or stops.. Also keeps the fuel econ at optimum...
If the Acetone was to be such a WOW i would have thought that the petro companies would have used it as Acetone is cheap so would not take much to add to bulk tankers etc... It is just the environmental issue of using it.
When can the Highway agency lay softer road coverings??

Now rides a mangled wreck... Ho Hum back to the K100

oyster

fuel economy

Postby oyster » Sat May 14, 2005 10:29 am

I listened with interest to the Radio 4 Farming Today about bio-ethanol. A possible new money spinner for struggling farmers. Anything that produces sugar can be fermented to produce this cheap fuel enhancer, added up to 10% to provide more oygen for a more efficient burn, hence possible 5-15% better economy. APPARENTLY our supermarket fuel is already on the band wagon, mixing in S American bio-ethanol at 10%, so we could only do the same from branded forecourts. Tesco's million a day profit! Does anyone out there know enough chemistry to figure what would happen with petrol + bio-ethanol + acetone??!! I think tres chaud! Further web research showed stay away from methanol, can only be used up to 5% and still probably too aggressive for high tuned engines.
The programmes closing comment was of the concern for fleets of tankers cruising the countryside loaded with untaxed hooch; - just what every rave site could do with!?
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Return to “Boxertech”