Luggage

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

stevesilver

Luggage

Postby stevesilver » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:52 pm

I'm going on a 4 day trip to the Assen Moto GP, then heading down to the nurburgring in june this year

Wondering if any you guys have got any tips on what luggage I should fit to the R1100S.
I personally dont like hard luggage or want to fit a rack.
I sold all the stuff i had before with my last bike. I'm thinking along lines of tank bag and some sort waterproof bag type thing to strap on the pillion seat.

Am bit out of touch with modern tank bags.
What are these clip type bags that fit on some device on the petrol cap fitting? Are they any good? How nickable are they?

Have only done about 1000 miles on bike since I got it last year. So its going to be a great learning experience for me, cant wait....

Have not been touring or 12 years, so any tips greatly appreciated, need all the help i can get.

Also maybe you have some stuff laying about you might want to sell?

Thanks in advance for the sarcastic remarks intertwined with some good tips and advice.....

fontana

Re: Luggage

Postby fontana » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:49 am

stevesilver wrote:Am bit out of touch with modern tank bags.
What are these clip type bags that fit on some device on the petrol cap fitting? Are they any good?

Yes they are brilliant

stevesilver wrote:How nickable are they?

Very, but then so is any tank bag.

stevesilver wrote:I personally dont like hard luggage or want to fit a rack.

Hard luggage is much more useful over long trips than soft panniers.
When you arrive you just unclip them and carry them like suitcases, and because they lock onto the frames, you can leave them attached to the bike when you want to have a wonder around the shops.
If having a rack fitted is such a serious dent to your street cred, then you can easily remove it when you're not touring.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:35 am

For 4 days, a decent tailpack combined with an as-fontana-quite-rightly-says nickable tankbag should be more than enough capacity. I use BMW's own 'small softbag' as they call it -

I think they've changed it slightly (again), but that's what mine looks like. It comes with plenty of different-length attachment straps, and its 100% waterproof too. Again though, it'll be nickable - if that's a major concern, then hard luggage is really the only 'secure' option I think.

I also use on of these on the tank -

Its quite small, but perfect for phone/wallet/snacks etc, and although not billed as waterproof, I treated mine with some Aldi-sourced waterproofing spray, and its never let a drop in, even in heavy rain. It clips on and off in a second. It also has a map pocket on top, handy for putting the odd route reminder in.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Stokesy

Postby Stokesy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:04 am

The sw motech tank bags and rings are very good (used for years on other bikes) but they dont list a compatible ring for the r1100s, spoke to the disty and they cant help, any of you guys know if orher BMW rings fit ?

In terms of toiuring, if goint to one location and riding out from there a drybag with rok starps has served me well as everything staays at the hotel location and a simple small tankbag surfices for the day.

There is a chap selling a sw motech tank bag with ring for a s1000 on ebay at present, if you could establish ring compatibiulity cound be an easy way out(cheap as well)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112255796657? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:16 am

If you already have the pannier rails/footrest mounts (leave them on - they are useful for lashing tailpacks anyway) - then you could consider fitting panniers with city-lids. they aren't wide, but provide good, secure, dry storage.

Plenty of waterproof roll-bags for sitting on the pillion seat, and some have a reinforced base (Oxford do a good one) so it retains it's shape when you yark it down to the seat.

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:33 am

Hi,
Just to chance my arm, but I'm sure you have already read my parts for sale in the classifieds. But I'm selling a full set of great oem panniers, with city lids and inner bags.
Cheers,
Rich

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:25 pm

Stokesy wrote:The sw motech tank bags and rings are very good (used for years on other bikes) but they dont list a compatible ring for the r1100s, spoke to the disty and they cant help, any of you guys know if orher BMW rings fit ?

In terms of toiuring, if goint to one location and riding out from there a drybag with rok starps has served me well as everything staays at the hotel location and a simple small tankbag surfices for the day.

There is a chap selling a sw motech tank bag with ring for a s1000 on ebay at present, if you could establish ring compatibiulity cound be an easy way out(cheap as well)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112255796657? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I think the K1200/1300GT ring will fit, of course it will be off centre because of the location of the tank filler but it'll work. I'm looking out for one as I have sw motech rings on my 8GS and 12RT.

Like Pete, I have the small bag that's ideal for dropping phone, camera, wallet, sunglasses etc into.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Hard luggage is quite useful and add security. I have use mine rarely. 3 times in fact and have been adequate for my needs. Tank bags on the other hand can get in the way. Depending on what you are going to take it is perfectly adequate for a day or 2. Expand them when fitted to a 11S you'll find it is in the way when you are on the bike. Just mind the panniers with the touring lids. It is wider than the handlebars and can make filtering a challenge.

The BMW branded tail bags are the dogs dangles. I have the the big and small one although the big one is not really suited to the LC GSA. Just pic taken from another related forum.

'Let me check my concernometer.'

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:04 pm

I've checked the Givi fixing ring off my GS and it matches the holes on my BCR - the supplied screws are way too long but that wouldn't be a problem. Personally, I only use a small Givi tank bag for essentials - currency, passport, visor cleaner, compact camera. I have a Famsa tank bag in very good condition but it's a strap on bag if you're interested - expensive when new and hardly used with the added bonus that bases for different bikes can be bought separately. Personally I'd go for hard luggage
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

kfrogzx7

Postby kfrogzx7 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:19 pm

https://goo.gl/photos/XyZ9ZXfUkgruUMrF6

OE BMW specific R11s tank bag and tail pack, enough space for a week in Scotland. Both fit the bike properly / securely, look good and are very practical.
You'd be welcome to borrow them for your trip if you collect from Suffolk ?
Simon.
K100rs, R1100s, R1150rs, R1200st, K1300s

Al

Postby Al » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:22 pm

I have a baglux tank cover and Alpha bag for sale, as said previously it CAN get in the way fully expanded. i also have a set of oxford throwovers, all used in fair condition at a sensible price. PM if you want to go this route.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:32 pm

Massive thanks for all the answers and ideas.

Before I asked the question, I really thought the tank ring and bag was where I wanted to be.

Didn't give it a thought that the filler is offset. That would drive me to the hat shop with it slightly to one side, no,no,no, not for me :bounce:

Magnetic is out obviously, plastic tank cover, although IMO they scratch the tank anyway , or at least it did on my ZRX1200R.

So bagster it is I guess, "easy road" harness looks like a good bet rather than the full tank cover.

Down the other end of the bike, I know the sensible choice would be the hard luggage, especially as its a BMW with loads available.
I just don't think I want that look, or if panniers the extra width involved.

A mate going says he uses a "dry bag" 30lt around £25-£30 available from sports shops.

Not to sure about them, but think I will go down that route with something similar just a bit more "biker" ish.

Massive thanks Dave the German for checking your ring :lol: :lol:

Al, message coming your way.

Again thanks to all....

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Drybags are fine, you get a lot in 30l. Did Spain and France with one strapped to the back. Bought cheap tee shirts and boxers from a well known sports store to wear under the leathers and threw them away at the end of each day. By the last day the drybag could fit in my pocket :)
10 KTM RC8

fontana

Postby fontana » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:38 pm

dave the german wrote:I've checked the Givi fixing ring off my GS and it matches the holes on my BCR - the supplied screws are way too long but that wouldn't be a problem.

I think on the older bikes (oil heads), it's a one size fits all,
My Givi tank ring on my R1100RS is actually for an 1100GS.
It makes no mention of my bike on the packaging and on their website there is nothing listed for the RS but yet the GS one fits perfectly.

Al wrote:I have a baglux tank cover and Alpha bag for sale,

That's well worth considering.
I've used baglux extensively over the years and it's brilliant.

Herb

Postby Herb » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:49 pm

I use a dry bag on the pillion and a Kriega bag on the tank when I tour. Works well for me. Valuable in the kriega so I can carry it with me, everything else in the dry bag. The advantage of the bike specific bags is that they are pretty well thought out with respect to fixing straps.

RenderedContent-4D3B3CAB-2DA9-4462-B02F-F59C14DCFBEC.JPG
RenderedContent-4D3B3CAB-2DA9-4462-B02F-F59C14DCFBEC.JPG (122.85 KiB) Viewed 5993 times
Last edited by Herb on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Return to “Boxertech”