Annoying Fluid Leak...

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

JamesL

Annoying Fluid Leak...

Postby JamesL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi all, the 1150GS seems to have dropped fluid on the floor below the back of the gearbox, ie since I parked it in the shed on Thursday night. It's clear and tasteless (thought it might be water from the last hose down, but it's definitely fluid). The underneath of the flat section just forward of the swingarm is soaked in fluid - oil? But no obvious drips. And I'm struggling to trace the source. I've worked the clutch - the master cylinder has lots of fluid and the clutch works fine; no apparent leak from the slave cylinder (when I replaced it I put a cut out in the bottom of the gasket). Final drive seems dry at the gaiter. Rear brake seems not to be leaking. Gearbox oil (blue) level is fine. The rear shock seems dry but I could take another look - there is fluid at the lower mounting. The only other possible source could be runoff from the boatload of ACF50 I larded on in the New Year - but I've ridden 400 miles since then so that seems unlikely...

So - I'm looking for inspiration here! And what's the easiest way to see if the rear shock's blown?

Thanks all,

James

milleplod

Re: Annoying Fluid Leak...

Postby milleplod » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:02 pm

I think you might have answered your own question! There aren't many fluids on an aircooled bike that are going to be clear and tasteless! :D Can't help re the rear shock.....other than to say I think if it is knackered, it'll be like riding round on a pogo stick! :shock:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

sjrainsford

Postby sjrainsford » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:15 am

Perhaps you could repeat? In other words take it out for a spin (when this crappy weather allows) and get all of the fluids warmed through then park up again and observe it now and then? Perhaps park it on an old white sheet or something similar to give you and better idea of where it is coming from?
2001 BMW R1100S (Merecat)
2008 Vespa GTS300 (Bianca)

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:16 am

Yep, thanks for that, looks like a plan... Just been out there with a mate and the clutch seems fine, no obvious leaks; the rear wheel seems to damp ok, so we're stumped... I have to be in Brum tomorrow, so 35 miles each way, mixed town & motorway, easy route and daylight; and I'll give it a good look over at each stop.

Milleplod, I absolutely take your point - as I wrote the post part of me was asking what's the point.... But a problem shared is a problem halved as they say, and I bet I'm missing something utterly obvious...

Pip pip! J

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:24 am

the tasteless bit seems to suggest nothing to worry about tho. I've thought about investing in a dog drier (cheaper for the same tool that's advertised as a bike drier!!!)
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:40 pm

Possibly condensation , Sunday for me had a forecasted rapid rise in temperature with high humidity , sure enough when I opened the (colder than outside) garage, anything metal including my tool box and even the plastic petrol tank on my Guzzi was covered in condensation. :cry:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:58 pm

talk about click bait.. the title dragged me in but the content was very disappointing :D

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:57 pm

As the conversation went:

Lady customer to the local butcher: ' Do you keep dripping?'
Butcher: 'Yes madam'
Lady customer: 'Annoying isn't it
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

adam

Postby adam » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:00 pm

dave the german wrote:the tasteless bit seems to suggest nothing to worry about tho. I've thought about investing in a dog drier (cheaper for the same tool that's advertised as a bike drier!!!)

Rather than faff about with my compressor to dry my bike post wash, I use a cheap petrol leaf blower with the end of a 2lit plastic pop bottle gaffa taped on the end. Works a treat (and it taught my kids about Bernoullis Principle - so now they know how carbs work :lol: )

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 pm

Yay, getting there and I'm not going insane...

Warks to Brum to London & back to Warks this week, all good seemingly. Did the paper thing overnight and I have my leak back, but it's definitely coming off the bottom of the shock mounting and the base of the shock just below the adjuster is wet. So - shock cream crackered? Otherwise bike is bone dry and none of the oily mess I cleaned up last week has returned, hurrah.

J

Return to “Boxertech”