Replacing my Nav VI...

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: Replacing my Nav VI...

Postby Paul » Tue May 07, 2024 10:01 am

Thanks for that tip Al. I will be giving my 7 inch screen a thorough test at the Welsh weekend. I have just downloaded MyRoute-App and am getting to grips with that. No turning back now since I sold my Nav VI to our chum in Fife.
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Paul

Postby Paul » Sun May 12, 2024 5:02 pm

I tested the "Crapuride" over the Welsh weekend trip. Generally it worked well, but I do need to get an anti-reflection screen overlay, since the polished screen can blind you when riding with the sun behind you.

I also had a few GPS connection problems with my phone in my jackets breast pocket when in the mountains of Snowdonia, but when I put the phone horizontally in my tank bag the next day, I didn't get those problems any more. I did notice the battery life on my iPhone going down while using the CarPlay screen for navigation, so I might plug it into a USB charger next time I ride.

I'm still getting to grips with MyRoute-App for planning and navigating routes, but i should get better at that with further use.

All in all I think it is a very viable alternative to the BMW Navigator.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

popsky

Postby popsky » Sun May 12, 2024 5:44 pm

Paul wrote:I tested the "Crapuride" over the Welsh weekend trip. Generally it worked well, but I do need to get an anti-reflection screen overlay, since the polished screen can blind you when riding with the sun behind you.

I also had a few GPS connection problems with my phone in my jackets breast pocket when in the mountains of Snowdonia, but when I put the phone horizontally in my tank bag the next day, I didn't get those problems any more. I did notice the battery life on my iPhone going down while using the CarPlay screen for navigation, so I might plug it into a USB charger next time I ride.

I'm still getting to grips with MyRoute-App for planning and navigating routes, but i should get better at that with further use.

All in all I think it is a very viable alternative to the BMW Navigator.

Cheers,

Paul

Great review Paul as after our “satnav” challenges this weekend I’ve looked on the CarPuRide site and put a couple in the basket. On the phone battery drain how long do you think the battery would last without being recharged if not plugged in to a permanent charger.

PS another great weekend and thanks for the tail end Charlie duties, and the concourse competition added a really fun aspect especially the knobbling that other awful 12s

PPS have a look at the MyRouteApp again, look in friends and I’m sure you’ll see me there, if so any routes I make public and vice verse can be uploaded by others to enjoy
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon May 13, 2024 2:07 pm

Hi Phil,

Regarding phone battery drain, I was down to about 30% remaining on my iPhone 15 pro max after about 7 hours of riding. I have a little USB power bank that will charge the phone about 3 times, so with that plugged in I would have no worries at all. Normally I get through a whole day starting at 100% charged overnight and never get close to running out during normal use i.e. not using the GPS all day.

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon May 13, 2024 3:14 pm

I just ordered an anti-reflective screen for my Crapuride W702 from Amazon here

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon May 13, 2024 4:20 pm

I think for battery drain, it can be partially alleviated by running on downloaded maps and/or downloaded routes.

You can download MRA maps in areas, as you can do with google.

Modern phones- the space the maps take are insignificant. I plan on trying that option in France, to reduce roaming charges.

I suspect it will drain the battery less, but will see.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

popsky

Postby popsky » Tue May 14, 2024 2:17 pm

That sounds good Paul, not very often I’m riding for 7 hrs these days, and a battery bank would take care of it anyway. I’m looking at the 5” version as there’s not much room in the 12 cockpit and the Z being a naked would suite both better, as long as MRA routes work and there’s voice prompts in helmet that is what I’m after, I can then do my route and share with Karen so we’re both on the same page.

I just need a couple more invoices for the home build and see what cash is left then hopefully order 2 Neotec 3 2 SRL 3 and 2 CarPurides :shock: :shock: :shock:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

popsky

Postby popsky » Fri May 17, 2024 6:23 am

Your reception issues could have been down to the electrical storm that made the northern lights visible over the weekend Paul, Nig and Suz with the K 16 had all sorts of problems as did Karen getting home on Saturday afternoon.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Return to “Boxertech”