Garmin Quest ram mount

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxered
Route Master

Garmin Quest ram mount

Postby Boxered » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:32 am

I have read all the relevant posts, but was looking for an update,
has anyone any experience of this http://www.ram-mount.com/products/qpac.htm

specifically mated to an S, if not what is the latest best solution to mount my Quest.
any help much appreciated

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

gus

Postby gus » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:53 am

Steve
Nowt to do with this post.Did you win on ebay?
gus

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:21 am

Nah, pulled out, closer inspection led me to believe it would have needed a rebuild, all totaled up was too expensive. the search goes on.

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

Every nerve aware

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:02 pm

Steve,

The QPAC was developed by GPS Warehouse. If you already have the RAM cradle for your quest, then this is a good solution. I was going to buy one but instead ended up with the Garmin cradle, since that broke cover before the QPAC. Call GPSW and ask to talk to Steve (a.k.a. Ram Man) for further details.

I'm coming up to Kendal for the Boxertrix weekend, so you can have a look at my Quest mounting solution. I also invested in the external antenna since the Quest's isn't great at keeping the satellites in view...

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:24 am

Thanks Paul, I thought the qpac was a total solution, looking at the piccies, do I need a cradle as well?
like your shock mount solution, very neat, was hoping to mount the qpac the same way.
see you next weekend

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

Every nerve aware

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:01 pm

I had the RAM cradle, mated with the shortest of the arms and the replacement cover for the clutch reservoir (which includes a ball for mounting the arm).

I changed the RAM cradle for the official Garmin one because only the Garmin one outputs sound to a 3.5mm socket. From this you can wire it in to your helmet via the larger of the two male plugs that go in to a PMR465 radio, or into a Starcom/Autocom unit.

But - have to say that the RAM mount is very secure (but not against theft).

The Quest, when mounted on the clutch reservoir cover is ideally situated for sight and operation - it presents it closer than the speedo and out of the way of the LH indicator lamp.

All in all - it is a great set-up for a sports bike.

PM me if you want photos of the the two set-ups.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:10 pm

Boxered wrote:Thanks Paul, I thought the qpac was a total solution, looking at the piccies, do I need a cradle as well?
like your shock mount solution, very neat, was hoping to mount the qpac the same way.
see you next weekend

Steve

Steve,

If you buy the QPAC, then you also need to buy the RAM cradle, which if memory serves is just under a tenner. If you don't already have the RAM cradle, the the Garmin powered cradle is a similar sort of price to the RAM duo. The Ram cradle has a slightly more confidence inspiring locking mechanism than the Garmin. I have both, so I'll bring the RAM Mount along for you to look at in Kewick too.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:18 am

Thanks Paul, I'll wait and see your setup before parting with my hard earned.Really looking forward to the weekend now :D

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

Every nerve aware

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:31 pm

Blackal wrote:I had the RAM cradle, mated with the shortest of the arms and the replacement cover for the clutch reservoir (which includes a ball for mounting the arm).

Al, Steve W also uses the clutch reservoir Ram ball mount. He'll be in Kendal too this weekend.

From a security point of view, I hope that the fact that the cradle is hard wired onto the bike will stop some scrote nicking it. All they could really nick is the ram arm, which would be of little use to anyone. I also use the cradle as a helmet stand when parked up, and use a small bowden cable lock to lock the helmet over the cradle to the handlebars, as an extra deterant. It also keeps the cradle dry in the event of rain.

Cheers,

Paul

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:28 pm

Paul,

Good idea with the cabled helmet over the mount - I doubt if you could actually see the mount without looking closely.

I must admit to having the garmin mount plugged into a bulkhead mount in the left-hand fairing, below and slightly to the left of the instruments. If I am doubtful about the security I throw the whole lot into my rucsac.

I must admit that I am a fan of the Quest - but make sure you load the latest operating system upgrade from Garmin - it sorts out the problem of the unit switching off spuriously.

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Steve W

Postby Steve W » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:52 am

Steve

As per our conversation at the weekend, below is the link to 'Cycle Gagets' in the US who supplied my brake reservoir cover.

I notice that they have now added some cheeper alternatives.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/pr ... tem=RAM-BA

Steve

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:15 am

Much obliged, thanks Steve,

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome