Hunting??/

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

high_tower

Postby high_tower » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:43 am

well lads i've

+changed the plugs which were terrible thanks to the neglect of the previous owner, oh and of course M&S/Kens who obviously didn't bothered to check my bike over and service it as promised when i bought it.
+ensured the air filter was clear of obstruction,
+filled up with shell super unleaded (or whatever they call it),
+ensured all cables were adjusted correctly with the right amount of freeplay 1mm on the choke and grip and 2mm on the throttle bodies
+and finally started the throttle balance.

First step wind the brass screws in full until seated gently then unwind the 1 1/2 times.

put on the twin max and started the bike it was obvious how badly they needed doing. even at idle they were pretty poor with the right hand side not pulling anywhere near that of the left side. so i slowly turned the brass screw out on the right side until both sides pulled the same.

then at 3500 rpm same problem but with a little adjustment to of the cable on the throttle body on the higher side to add a small amount of freeplay into the cable i had them balanced out and running sweet.

gave it a good run and the horrible hunting at 4000rpm was gone and the horrible jerkyness at slow speeds was cure.

all that i need to do now is use a full tank and see if my fuel economy has improved. Otherwise i'm pulling the chip out.
2006 z750 - hit and run
2001 CCM 640 supermoto - Traded
2001 BMW R1100s

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:16 pm

high_tower wrote: .......all that i need to do now is use a full tank and see if my fuel economy has improved. Otherwise i'm pulling the chip out.

Wouldn't advise running a VDL pipe with a standard chip, I forsee a big hole in at least one of your pistons :shock:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

high_tower

Postby high_tower » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:34 pm

really? i didn't think it would be to bad.

oh well i'm not that in love with the vanderline i feel like i'm being chased by a dozen sherman tanks everytime i ride the thing.

only keep them to rev for the ladies lol
2006 z750 - hit and run

2001 CCM 640 supermoto - Traded

2001 BMW R1100s

70tno

Valve Clearances

Postby 70tno » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:08 am

Spent nearly 20 years in the motorcycle trade and balancing the carbs was the last thing to do once we had changed plugs, checked air filter, exhaust leaks etc. and finally valve clearances. Incorrect valve clearances subtly alter the valve timing and therefore the inlet vacuum, which is what is being measured when we attempt to balance carbs or injector butterflies/slides etc.

Lambda sensors and electronics will only compensate for so much.
Only the person who risks is truly free.

Black 1100s

winger

Postby winger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:04 pm

What your missing is were talking BMW here!!!! with a tractor engine thats as subtle as a rat with a gold tooth!!!,dealers can't be arsed to fanny about for an hour getting the balance bang on,a combo of tickover,and getting cables right,hence the TwinMax.

Anyone thinking of doing it,do it now,trying to balance one in the summer,motor soon gets it's nickers in a twist.

gus

Postby gus » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:43 pm

Nicely put Mr C,A fantastic choice of the english vocabulary. :D
Correctly adjusted valves are essential to gain correct throttle body balance.It takes time to get these items spot on,something a dealer wouldnt spend too much on.
I did the procedure on grahams(mr sheenes)bike last weekend,the difference in how the motor ran was before and after was huge.
Learn how to do this and you will be rewarded with a far more pleasurable riding experince.
gus

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:58 pm

gus wrote:I did the procedure on graham last weekend,the difference in before and after was huge.
Learn how to do this and you will be rewarded with a far more pleasurable riding experince.
gus

:oops: Sorry
Lloyd

bigblackfalco

Re: Valve Clearances

Postby bigblackfalco » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:24 pm

70tno wrote:Spent nearly 20 years in the motorcycle trade and balancing the carbs was the last thing to do once we had changed plugs, checked air filter, exhaust leaks etc. and finally valve clearances. Incorrect valve clearances subtly alter the valve timing and therefore the inlet vacuum, which is what is being measured when we attempt to balance carbs or injector butterflies/slides etc.

Lambda sensors and electronics will only compensate for so much.

DITTO ON THE VALVES......YOU ARE WAISTING YOUR TIME WITH EVERYTHING ELSE UNLESS YOUR VALVES ARE 100% CORRECTLY ADJUSTED!
Bailey.
ps. sorry I shouted :wink:
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

gus

Postby gus » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:52 pm

boxerpan wrote:
gus wrote:I did the procedure on graham last weekend,the difference in before and after was huge.
gus

Now now,you know i have done the same procedure at yours awhile back.
You really seemed to enjoy it after i had finished. :wink:
Dont get jealous now! :D
gus

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:57 pm

gus wrote:
boxerpan wrote:
gus

Now now,you know i have done the same procedure at yours awhile back.
You really seemed to enjoy it after i had finished. :wink:
Dont get jealous now! :D
gus

Touche :D
Lloyd

Return to “Boxertech”