Headlamp adjustment for Europe

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

sproggy

Headlamp adjustment for Europe

Postby sproggy » Mon May 28, 2007 4:24 pm

What an unbelievable bu**er of a job :shock:

Thinks "It's time to rotate the headlight for my trip to Italy so it doesn't blind oncoming drivers - should be a 5 minute job". Er.....no. Manual says dismantle bike first. :?

Surely that's not necessary...........but a few minutes trying to work with a screwdriver between the forks proves that it is if I want to avoid ruining the headlight in the process :cry:

Both side fairings off, mirrors off, screen off, front fairing off, headlight out, 2 minutes to adjust and then all back together again. What idiot designed that method of adjustment? And the really great thing is that I've got it all to look forward to again when I come back :evil:

And the REALLY annoying thing? I had all the fairings off to fit a carbon front panel a few weeks ago - if only I'd known then what I know now.

winger

Postby winger » Mon May 28, 2007 4:52 pm

Can't beleave you daft enough to do it,i've never altered a headlight in 33 years,in fact it's better as it, is cuz when you rideing at night your headlight stays on the dotted line in the middle of the road,instead of in the ditch!!!

Years ago the muppets used to put yellow lens on and then leave e'm on over here 'Look at me i've been abroad' when the reality of it was,rideing with a white light the Froggies avoided you like the plague cuz they new you weren't one of them!!!

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Mon May 28, 2007 5:03 pm

winger wrote:Can't beleave you daft enough to do it

I haven't done in the past, either because the bike I've been riding doesn't have an adjustment (most of them) or because I couldn't be bothered, but I'll be over there for a month this time so I reckoned it was the polite thing to do, particularly since I've also fitted brighter bulbs.

winger

Postby winger » Mon May 28, 2007 5:24 pm

Run mine with an HID,haveing said all the new Mercs and Beemers have e'm anyway,no one bothered.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Mon May 28, 2007 5:29 pm

I'd be tempted to put it in the 'in between' position when I come back, to give a symmetrical dipped beam pattern, but there's some sort of mechanism buried in there designed to stop you doing that.

gripperod

Postby gripperod » Tue May 29, 2007 5:17 am

I leave Germany this week, but in order to get a VCA certificate ready for UK registration did all the UK changes in Feb and ran for 2 months in the Fatherland with a UK headlight set up . Fortunately due to the pathetic nature of the standard headlight, nobody seemed to notice. :wink:

Didnt think it was too much hassle (considering how often you are likely to want to swap) was more bothered (as somebody on here has pointed out before) that BMW screws appear to be made of cheese and only just managed to loosen the 3 screws holding the headlight before they disintegrated.
THE FASTER SILVER AND WHITE VERSION !

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Tue May 29, 2007 8:09 am

gripperod wrote:BMW screws appear to be made of cheese and only just managed to loosen the 3 screws holding the headlight before they disintegrated.

Ditto. That was the reason I abandoned my attempts to adjust the beam with everything still in place. If they'd used decent screws I could have undone them OK. Possibly.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue May 29, 2007 10:17 am

I found that mine was set to LHD and set about changing it.............

You'd need to be a Gynaecologist to do it without taking off any panels :?

In the end, when I went to tighten the three screws - I left the unreachable one slack.

I don't bother adjusting them now.

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxertech”