So, which y pipe/silencer is the best??

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:17 pm

Personal preferance I suppose but the front shock is of no better quality or performance than the std rear and IMHO deserves to be binned at the same time, I wish I had the skills to be able to set up suspension with rebound and compression damping but what I do know is that I have found a vast improvement simply by replacing the std shocks(one spring suits all)with aftermarket items that are at least partly built to suit my weight and riding style!
Peter.

steve7

Postby steve7 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:41 pm

Does anybody know of a company that sells and or sets up suspension to suit the rider

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:03 pm

Steve,
Motorcycle Technics, Excellent for setup, Many here have used them. Technoflex/Wilbers build shocks around your Weight,Riding style, favoured roads and Tyre choice. PM me for more info if you wish. I've had shocks from both.
Peter.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:05 pm

steve7 wrote:Does anybody know of a company that sells and or sets up suspension to suit the rider

MC Technics in Stowmarket. See http://www.mctechnics.co.uk/ for details
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:23 pm

Paul wrote:
steve7 wrote:Does anybody know of a company that sells and or sets up suspension to suit the rider

MC Technics in Stowmarket. See http://www.mctechnics.co.uk/ for details

I'll second (third ?) MC Technics. If you buy the shocks from them set up is included, if you go to them with your shocks fitted set up costs £75 and is for life - i.e. I can phone / go back as many times as I like for any tweaking from the initial set up. Good value in my opinion.

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:17 am

I'll fourth what Adam said :)

steve7

Postby steve7 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:25 am

Do i hear a fifth peter pm waiting for you

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:53 pm

I can very strongly recommend the Arrow 2 part Ti system.All the pipework is in stainless and the end cans are titanium.
Performance is very good.This system has been very well thought out.Welds and joints are the best I've seen on a production unit.Seems to have been gas flowed.Weight is very low.Lambda probe mounting point is in the correct place......whereas the Laser is not!!!Sound is not offensive.Unit can be re-packed with off the shelf kits from Arrow.
Available via B&C Express for £700.00 delivered to your door.

My 0.02p on which system is best etc:
The Zach mid pipe does wonders(I've owned one!) and works very well with the original end cans.
But the original end cans do restrict the engine quite a bit as they have a section of half diameter pipes exiting one end can into the other.

If it is of any use I have some hi res photos of the Arrow system.
HTH?
Bailey.

oyster

So, which y pipe/silencer is the best??

Postby oyster » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:06 pm

Thank you all! The bike came with the Lennies/K&N. I have serviced the bike to factory spec, 4 feeler tappets (superb improvement), throttle valves (almost spot on already), new oils, new010's, clean the Brembos. It seems the next bit is to change the y pipe. I am advised that the Remus will be the best as it has a centre stand stop built in. All Y's are about the same for performance. The stock cans restrict the power and the noise, Laser there if needed. I like the idea of the Arrow system, especially as it does not require a chip. Next is the REAR shock; and I thought Showa was good!? that should be enough or me over the next year. Any other easy, good mods I should be doing?
Thanks.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

winger

Postby winger » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:51 pm

Hi Peter

Bloody hell no wonder you pay someone set up your suspension!!,the front shock never alters,one up,two up,hot/cold weather,and even handles my AP's at full tilt,non of the former applies to the one at the back,at a decent pace two up i used to get an hour out of my rear shock before it went tits up,the front just plodded on regardless.

Chris

gus

Postby gus » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:46 pm

Try riding hard when your shocks got 40000+miles on em!Kinda gets entertaing to say the least.Now have everything near enough fully wound up,it just about copes.But you can forget any kind of comfort.OHH me farmers as you ride over a white line! :lol:
gus

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:41 pm

Hi Oyster,

Personally speaking, I would go with the Staintune system with a FIM Chip to go with the lennies and K&N. I have all these fitted to my bike and they make a nice difference. the staintune has removable baffles so you can be quiet one day noisy the next. With the FIM Chip it is simple plug in no different stages to set on it.

As regards shocks I have Wilbers fitted front and rear and they have made a big difference especially 2 up, the bike feels so planted
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:07 pm

I had the Laser Y piece and end cans. K and N filter and BB Power chip. I dont have much experience regarding the other setups available, but the improvement over standard was very noticeable.
I will very likely have a the Y piece and Chip for sale soon, but the end can on theleft is dented so although it'll work fine, not many people wil want to use it
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

oyster

Postby oyster » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:12 am

Having sifted through all the information to date, I fitted a Wunderlich/Sebring Y pipe (ebay!!) which I am advised is the same as the Remus. It came with a bolt on centre stand stop. Kept the stock silencers. With the Lennies, K&N + this pipe, it pops a little on hard over run; plugs look on the lean side of o.k., but I am not anxious. Lambda is still fitted (the boss on the pipe did NOT align with the hole! so some grinding needed) and there was no code plug to remove. The result is a great improvement on low/mid torque, exactly where I wanted it and a few more horses. Not suprising now that the breeze block obstruction is out of it.
I reckon this is the best value for money improvement and will not be going for a chip. Others here have expressed similar opinions and they are right!
Next will be both shocks, E=MC will get my business.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:01 am

Just been shopping around for prices on remus road cans & Y piece for my 02 S, £505 from motorworks, I'm really tempted, especially as straightline quoted £620 for the same kit.
anyone beat this price?

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Return to “Boxertech”