Aftermarket Suspension List

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

DeeBee247

Shoch re-build and service

Postby DeeBee247 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:17 pm

Guy's have looked at the search facility to no avail so please accept my apologies as I am sure I will be repeating what has gone on before.
I am looking to confirm if the original shock units are re-buildable?
If so by who and what price.
I am unable to justify the price of a new Maxton or Nitron but feel that after 60,000 odd miles a refresh would work wonders.

BTWI have had good reports from a friend who fitted a Nitron to his GS12 and apparently they now offer a front to match. This does not need a remote pre-load adjuster as there is less need for this adjustment on the front

Looking at economics here when it comes to buying new as I really like the bike but spending £400 at each end plus a new set of tyres is getting toward it's total worth.

Thanks Dave
1998 R1100S (Sold)
1997 Suzuki TL1000s (Sold)
1979 Suzuki X7 (Sold)
1980 Suzuki X7 (Sold)
1993 Honda VFR 750 x 2
2014 Triumph Tiger Sport 1050

damoace

Postby damoace » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi,
The standard OEM shockers are indeed rebuildable. I should imagine that there are plenty of places that will do it for you but I would personally recommend Darren at MC Technics (MCT).

http://www.mctsuspension.co.uk/Home.html

I've used him to do the job you are asking about. Well worth the money (£400). Speak to them BEFORE you buy tyres or replacement shockers, explain what you want the bike to be like when finished, and take their advice. They really DO know what they are speaking about.

Just up the road from PeterBogHorror too...

As a guideline, since the MCT rebuild, there is no point in changing the standard shockers for anything else. They are that good.

I said before that having Darren service the standard shocks and tune them to my use was the best 400 quid I've spent on that bike. I'll stand by that....
R1200GS - 'El Bastardo' - The Exploder.
R1100S BCR - 'Flashart the Misguided Missile'.
KTM 990SMT- 'Scratch' - Hoonery Assured.

www.bmrider.com - The cobbled part of the information superhighway.

DeeBee247

Postby DeeBee247 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi damoace, thanks for the quick reply.
I have tried contacting MCT, by recommendation from the bike mags and this forum, using email to no reply as yet.
I will give them an old fashioned call.
I agree that if they can rebuild the units and possibly recommend a different spring it will make the difference.
I have re-sprung a Ducati Paso via a custom spring from Maxton and changed the spring rate on the TL1000s with a Hyperpro spring and a Hagon damper so have been down this route before.
Really need to buy a bike that agrees with my budget. Oh yes I do have that bike a hard tail Trek MTB.....
1998 R1100S (Sold)
1997 Suzuki TL1000s (Sold)
1979 Suzuki X7 (Sold)
1980 Suzuki X7 (Sold)
1993 Honda VFR 750 x 2
2014 Triumph Tiger Sport 1050

damoace

Postby damoace » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:57 pm

Phone call is the best. They are normally very very busy so the sooner you call them, the sooner your appointment will be.

Darren will almost certainly have recommendations, but it's up to you to be able to tell him what you need. Just give him as much info as you can and trust him. You won't be disappointed.
R1200GS - 'El Bastardo' - The Exploder.

R1100S BCR - 'Flashart the Misguided Missile'.

KTM 990SMT- 'Scratch' - Hoonery Assured.

www.bmrider.com - The cobbled part of the information superhighway.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sat May 09, 2015 5:38 pm

Here's another you might want to consider.

RAMSHOX. [www.realmengineering.com. ] been in use for over 30 years for their race and roadgoing replica sports cars [ Jag and VCobra ] and for the past 9 years developed for bikes.

Ben Kingham won the B.E.A.R.S. championship outright with his RAM suspended K100

Tell them TJ sent you for a 10% discount.

"if at first you don't succeed - you've already been a failure once"

3narf

Postby 3narf » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:57 am

Hi, just a question connected to this topic.

The lack of feedback from the front end; is that an initial lack of feedback when compared to other bikes, or something that remains even when you're used to the bike?

I mean, do you learn to interpret what the front is doing, eventually, or do you have to live with just not knowing what it's doing?

Ta

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:42 am

3narf wrote:Hi, just a question connected to this topic.

The lack of feedback from the front end; is that an initial lack of feedback when compared to other bikes, or something that remains even when you're used to the bike?

I mean, do you learn to interpret what the front is doing, eventually, or do you have to live with just not knowing what it's doing?

Ta

See discussions re: 10mm offset Telelever arm or adjustable [ or GS length ] Pararlever. According to those that know - transforms the bike.
"if at first you don't succeed - you've already been a failure once"

Aladin1

Postby Aladin1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:11 pm

My 2002 R1100S rear shocker has started to weep oil at 30,000 miles so a repair or replacement is imminent.
I have read on this topic that the OEM shocks are repairable, however my Clymer states that the only replacement parts available are mounting bolts and bushes. I have limited funds to spend on my bike (retired pensioner) so I would prefer to repair rather than replace. Can anyone confirm whether the original front and rear shocks on a standard 1100s can be rebuilt?

Alan

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:21 pm

If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxertech”