Aftermarket Suspension List

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

peter f

Postby peter f » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:32 am

http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motor ... set-up.htm

The 1M questions: (a) is it worthy to get a top fully adjustable shock? (b) Can I feel the aperture of adjustments? (recently UK BIKE mag had an interesting article about that) (c) should I pay for hydraulic preload devices?
R12S, black, ex Ohlins (now WP), full HPE, RB3(in place - at last)

winger

Postby winger » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:51 am

ned1 wrote:Although I understand the need for all the adjustments........compression damping, preload, etc, etc, with so many how on earth can someone like me ever set it up for the best ride, because at the end of the day it seems that I could land up spending a lot of pennies without the right result.
What I am saying is would I be as happy with say a Hagon (for less £) as a high cost one (lots of £££) with all the bells & whistles that would probably not be adjusted right
:scratch:

ps I am a short a** and have a blue spring, did they make a low seat R1100S !!

I'll work backwards,i've had a Hagon on an FJ1200, after the stocker i thought it was great and so would you,but when you've got your foot in the door with suspension lark,you'll be up and running.

It doesn't take long to feel/realise whats going on with a good shock,it's called tinkering,you can't go wrong,if you loose your way go back to original settings and start again,the fact that e'r short makes no difference.

peter f

Postby peter f » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:02 pm

A note worth considering: Telelever (smart for allowing brake AND steer due to anti dive kinematics) has a major drawback > that lack of feel...you ride on faith rather than on feedback (so to speak). Thus - IMHO- it's worth investing on some top quality highly adjustable stuff - in front - provided that you put some stress on the bike (and yourself).

ned1

Postby ned1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:38 pm

Thanks for that Boys, interesting,

winger...
Before I got my bike everyone told me they had a high seat and the boxer cup even taller, but as I liked the bike and there was one up for sale close to where I live I had a look and tried it ( R1100S with blue spring ) without a problem with the seat and wondered if I had a low seat option on my bike, then went and got another shock only to land up being on tiptoe.

Ned :wink:
Yesterday R1100S 03, today K1300s sport
Ride like they are all out to kill you and you will live to ride another day............Ned 2008

Mountain 300

Postby Mountain 300 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:26 pm

If you want quality, are gonna keep the bike a long time and do a shed load of miles, you can't beat Maxton shocks. Got em the R1100S & ZZR1100. The BM set have done 65k miles, must get round to having em serviced. The Kwak shock and revalved forks have done approx 145k miles and still going strong. Maxton just rebuilt the rear after the seals failed, good as new again :D

User avatar Scotland
Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:49 pm

Looking at the offerings from WP,Hyperpro,Ohlins,Maxton etc - I think it could very well be like choosing golf clubs - a bit of blind faith :?

But - If you were ever thinking of selling the bike, "sans shock" - I think that Ohlins is the one on Ebay that would return more of your outlay? :?

Admitedly - those in the know would realise the worth of the others in the £700+ price category, but if you get £100 more for the shock when you sell it................... It's a bit like spending £100 less in the first place.

(should appeal to the Yorkshiremen :hello1: )

After noticing a marked difference when changing to a Wilbers rear shock, with hyd preload on my BoxerCup - I fancy shelling out for a better shock on one of the others. My BCR hadn't done a heap of miles before fitting the Wilber (should that be singular? :? ) - so the better handling could be attributed to the better-quality shock, rather than a knackerd old one.

Decisions - decisions.................. :?

(thanks for listening [smilie=drunk.gif] )

Al :thumbright:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:20 pm

peter f wrote:http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

The 1M questions: (a) is it worthy to get a top fully adjustable shock? (b) Can I feel the aperture of adjustments? (recently UK BIKE mag had an interesting article about that) (c) should I pay for hydraulic preload devices?

a) Yes, even if you don't use the adjustment possibilities. This is because these higher grade shocks come with a remote reservoir, which separates the nitrogen and suspension fluid and will make the working of the shock temperature independent.
b) you should, with the A brands mentioned
c) Very simple to answer, after you answer the following question: do you regularly ride with luggage and/or pillion? If yes, the answer is yes, if no you don't need it.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

User avatar Great Britain
dave2wheels

Postby dave2wheels » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:58 pm

I would buy ohlins but at £700 it's too much for the 36 model (the DR46 ohlins models sell at sub £500 for other BMW's) I am looking to upgrade my suspension at the mo, are there any offers on?
NEC next month WP usually do 10%
just about anything is better than standard you've just got to decide on remote unit and the level of adjustment, either proportional compression rebound adjustment or independent which is really a race shock
anyone selling anything??
Dave N

User avatar Great Britain
Merecat

Postby Merecat » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:18 pm

Good thread and very interesting.
My 2001 S has the stock shocks.
My main motivation for upgrading would be to lower the seat height to get both feet planted. (yes Im a short a**e too) so I would be looking for a unit with a ride height adjuster or a shorter fixed length.
Does the team think. I would get away with just a rear, or should i only be thinking of replacing the pair to preserve the geometry?

Mick
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

winger

Postby winger » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:02 pm

I would get away with just a rear, or should i only be thinking of replacing the pair to preserve the geometry?

There by hangs the problem,the last thing you want to be doing is drop the rear on it's own,it will make the problem even worse,you'll end up with the geometry of a chopper,you can have shocks made to what length you want,but your into the realms of your own R+D,which is no different to what some us guys have had to do over years anyway,just take a little thought and some tinkering.

winger

Postby winger » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:25 pm

dave2wheels wrote:I would buy ohlins but at £700 it's too much for the 36 model (the DR46 ohlins models sell at sub £500 for other BMW's) I am looking to upgrade my suspension at the mo, are there any offers on?
NEC next month WP usually do 10%
just about anything is better than standard you've just got to decide on remote unit and the level of adjustment, either proportional compression rebound adjustment or independent which is really a race shock
anyone selling anything??
Dave N

Dave

I'd phone Harris up first and find out their price,there is a little discount after that phone around to find out what dealers have in stock,after,phone Wilbers and Maxton and then work out the variables price wise.

User avatar Scotland
Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Surely the "Myleene Klass" of shocks...............

Weighs in at around $1,300 though.......... :shock:

Al :D

See if that works .....

winger

Postby winger » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm afraid not,thats the old style Ohlins which was superceded this year by the TTX,which operates totally different.

http://www.rogueracing.org/ttx.htm

User avatar Scotland
Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm guessing the new one is just a gnat'sfart better than the old one - but costs even more............ :?

Maybe someone's selling the old model off cheap? :?

Al :)

See if that works .....

peter f

Postby peter f » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:28 am

Blackal wrote: Weighs in at around $1,300 though......

Hmm,

Less than the 4618 WP (1200 Euros, NOT dollars)

Questions are : (1) who does it for R12S? (except PPR in USA), (2) what is their solution for the Telelever part of the equation? (far more critical, in my humble opinion - due to that lack of feel etc etc).

Return to “Boxertech”