Starting problem

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dickie2679

Starting problem

Postby Dickie2679 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:08 pm

At 5.20 this morning I tried to start my bike, but it would only turn over & not fire. I tried this for about 5 minutes off & on before the battery started to get a little low (slower cranking speed)
I then gave up & took the car to work, I called the BMW recovery service & they arrived at my house at 8.30 - and the bike started without a problem.

Fuel pump runs
Fuel in Tank
Battery Good

I spoke to some one at Pidcocks who thought it my be the 'hall sensor' starting to fail? & I should carry on using the bike until it stops again!
Can anyone offer some advice? do you recognise the symptoms?

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:44 pm

Hall sensors are a known problem so it might be worth changing it as a precaution, it could pack up at 120 in the fast lane and you wouldn't want that with the cops on your tail :D

The hall sensor provides the motronic with a timing reference for ignition and injection. If you got a smell of fuel when cranking then it may not be the sensor.

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:15 pm

It's probably not this but I'll throw in my tuppence worth as what you describe matches it perfectly.

If I try and start my bike whilst it is in gear with the clutch pulled in then it will turn over but will not fire if the side stand is still down. As I say it's probably not that but at that time in the morning you'd be forgiven for brain fade ;-)

Toodle pip
:roll:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:12 pm

theseadog wrote:It's probably not this but I'll throw in my tuppence worth as what you describe matches it perfectly.

If I try and start my bike whilst it is in gear with the clutch pulled in then it will turn over but will not fire if the side stand is still down. As I say it's probably not that but at that time in the morning you'd be forgiven for brain fade ;-)

Toodle pip
:roll:

Ditto the side stand thing - if you've parked the bike after a run in a downpour, or given it a really good wash, then it can exibit those starting problems - I just squirt WD40 all over the switch, leave it a couple of minutes and it usually does the trick. I've had this happen a few times now. Of course.... it could be the hall sensor... One failed on a GS (identical to the S in this department cos they fixed it with one from a showroom S) I was with recently. Turned over fine, but the ignition was permanently live.

Jason

Jason

Dickie2679

Postby Dickie2679 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:06 am

I've just tried it again - starts fine :lol: I guess I'll have to wait until it fails again, no doubt on a cold frosty morning when least expected :cry:

Dickie2679

Postby Dickie2679 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:02 pm

I've fitted some new plugs & I'm fitting a new fuel filter, my problem is that I've drained & removed the tank, but having removed the screws holding the pump/filter I can't pull the thing out. There seem to be some hoses on the back, has anyone done this job? where am I going wrong?

gus

Postby gus » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:51 pm

Its a right bleeder!
You need to disconnect the hoses and note where they go.
Have you new hose clips?
I used the old one and a crimping tool to refit them.
You just have to juggle it about a bit but it will come out as a whole unit.
hope that helps
gus

winger

Postby winger » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:22 pm

I did mine last week when i put my bigger tank on,just prize the two pipes of the pump that come down from the filler end(leave the clips on,spray some WD on when you put them back on),and you need to just bend the big rubber pipe that you can see inside and it just pops out,don't use brute force you don't to!!!.

Chris

Dickie2679

Postby Dickie2679 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:30 pm

Thanks, job done, I managed to remove the pipes without removing the clips & managed to fit the breather hoses back with a bit of washing up liquid. There was some dirt in the fuel tank but no water, the service guy at pidcocks told me that they removed half a pint out of the tank on one bike.

Return to “Boxertech”