Bar Raisers

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Cusi

Bar Raisers

Postby Cusi » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:51 pm

Has anyone got any pictures of the factory fit handlebar raisers?

Cheers Cusi

bernsmartco

Postby bernsmartco » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:12 pm

Factory high bars fit on top of the yoke and have a lug that mounts into the recess machined into the yoke where it clamps the fork.
You can just move the low bars above the yoke (search previous threads) but you then have a bolt hole showing.
If you really want to move the bars back there are 1 or 2 aftermarket options. Theres a guy on pelican in the states who makes them.
Ride safely
Bern.

boxerpan

Re: Bar Raisers

Postby boxerpan » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:37 pm

Cusi wrote:Has anyone got any pictures of the factory fit handlebar raisers?

Cheers Cusi

You may want to ask (or do a search) over at the Pelican Parts 'S' board, I think the Americans are more prone to chopper handlebars than we are in the UK. Something to do with the better climate I think :wink:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Mick Mac

Postby Mick Mac » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:45 pm

I moved mine above the yoke and find that it improves the riding position for me. Others don't like it but I think it depends on the type of riding you do, how tall you are and whether you suffer from lower back pain.

I did find the front to be a bit vague when I raised the bars. The front tended to wander on fast sweepers. I fitted the shorter para strut (£53.35) which raised the back end up by an inch. This moved my weight a bit further forward which helped the bike track better.

It would be nice to have the proper BMW bars with the lugs but I didn't fancy paying the £150. I just make sure that the pinch bolts are tight and check them regularly.

Yes, with the two bolt holes showing the standard bars don't look too clever but I've used the left hole to mount the Oxford heated handlebar grips control box. All I've got to do now is find something to mount on the other lug. Cigarette lighter, ashtray ??

You will need a longer brake hose and I took the opportunity to fit stainless braided. I went to Inox Fasteners in Southampton ( www.inoxgrp.co.uk ) and bought an Earl's three line kit. It cost £75.70 delivered in January.

It's no problem to move the bars up. Just remove the two bolts underneath and slacken the pinch bolts. Take off the wire in the recess, drop the fork tube down, remove the handle bar and slide the tube up. Re-fit the bars. Run the switch wires on the left handlebar outside the fork leg.

Hope this helps.

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:37 pm

Dave, why don't you just trade the old girl in for a GS. You know there as common as muck on the island.

Or you could have a chat with Panikos when he's in Limassol next on his own R1100S as he has the Wunderlich conversion fitted.

Or you go down to the Wunderlich dealer in Limassol and have a look in the catalogue. The shop is called Motorgear and they are in the same Building as Becky's Travel opposite Fairways Mitsuibishi dealer on Makarias Avenue.

Hope that is of some help to you.
TTFN and enjoy the weather where ever you are!!

Derek 8) 8) 8)

Return to “Boxertech”