R1100S Intake Ram Tubes.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

HerrFlick

R1100S Intake Ram Tubes.

Postby HerrFlick » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:22 pm

A couple of years ago I fitted a pair of intake ram tubes to my 11S, between the throttle body and air box, never got around to posting the results, so:

I've just given them a refresh (while changing air filter and checking for oil in airbox):

The intake bell shape is that of a CFD designed raised intake bellmouth:

Very pleased with the result:

- crisper throttle response.
- need less throttle cruising at 70mph
- while in 6th I'm regularly looking for a '7th'. LOL
- better fuel economy.
- no loss of peak power (academic interest only), but the walloping increase in low to mid range torque = FUN. :twistedevil:

Stock air filter, ECU and exhaust system.

Thought I'd pass this on for general interest.

Cheers.
Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:49 pm

Seems a good improvement, so where do we buy them from??
John M

eyore

Postby eyore » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:14 pm

Funny enough I was just re reading your original thread the other night.
Seems like a very worthwhile mod.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Al

Postby Al » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:55 pm

Several others have fitted GS intake tubes with the same results, I have some in the garage waiting for me to get round to fitting them, hopefully before welsh trip.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Motocod

Postby Motocod » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Did you do the CFD analysis yourself? I have a requirement for that kind of software to use at work, and would be interested to find out some more.

On a bike related note, can you explain where this is fitted - I realise that might sound like a bit of a daft question! I have a carbon fibre inlet pipe on my bike (I understand these are quite rare, and much better flow characteristics compared to stock) - I'm assuming your mod is directly in to the airbox, or to the throttle body itself?

Nik

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Motocod wrote:Did you do the CFD analysis yourself? I have a requirement for that kind of software to use at work, and would be interested to find out some more.

On a bike related note, can you explain where this is fitted - I realise that might sound like a bit of a daft question! I have a carbon fibre inlet pipe on my bike (I understand these are quite rare, and much better flow characteristics compared to stock) - I'm assuming your mod is directly in to the airbox, or to the throttle body itself?

Nik

Hi Nik,

No, I don't have any CFD s/ware. I trawled the net for hours and gathered a bundle of pics that showed the proportions of the shapes I had to achieve. Not hard to get a reasonable looking match. While they're not mathematically perfect they're a lot better than what was there. I use one of those knead-it type epoxy putties that I shape up by hand and then finish with sandpaper and a dremel.

While trawling I found several forums where chaps were discussing their s/ware and manifold designs etc. Google for things like 'intake airflow CFD'.

Daft questions are my specialty. :lol:

Go through these installation pics. I hope they're sufficiently self explanatory.

You don't need to physically remove the "S" intake tubes, but you will need to loosen them from the throttle bodies. Makes it easier when fitting the GS tubes through the top of the airbox. The LH tube lies over the RH runner. Push the GS tubes into the 'S' tubes until U get a snug fit, then re-attach to the TB's and lock in place with the screws as shown.

Cheers

John C.

(BTW I also have the CF snorkel to the top of the airbox. Eliminates that restriction around the battery box corner).

Angle of the cut must be back to the inside of the curve of the GS tube so as to fit to the curve of the 'S' tube.

You need to drill a hole through the wall of the GS tube. Don't rely on the self tapping screw to bite into the GS tube wall as it just bends the wall inwards

New self tapping screws need to be abt 10mm longer than stock

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:10 pm

Al wrote:Several others have fitted GS intake tubes with the same results, I have some in the garage waiting for me to get round to fitting them, hopefully before welsh trip.

Al.

Thanks Al. Good to hear about the others.

The longest part of the job is removing the bodywork.

Cheers.

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:16 pm

eyore wrote:Funny enough I was just re reading your original thread the other night.
Seems like a very worthwhile mod.

Cor - you must have been desperate for reading matter. LOL

Yes, it's the best bang-for-buck I've ever run across, not only for performance, but it improves low end tractibility enormously.

Not needed on those R1200S weapons. :)

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:21 pm

SP250 wrote:Seems a good improvement, so where do we buy them from??

Yes they are. U won't believe the improvement.

They're actually 1100/1150 GS intake tubes. Mine cost abt $35 from a wrecker.
I've just blinged mine up a bit but that's not necessary for a result.

Go through the step by step pics I've posted here tonight. Very easy to do.

Cheers

bfisher

Postby bfisher » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Sooo.... How does this mod differ from the gains from those through Lennies induct (http://boxer-performance.com/bmw-inlet-ducts/)? Would you consider do this mod in combination with the Lennies (if not why not?).

Brad

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:36 pm

bfisher wrote:Sooo.... How does this mod differ from the gains from those through Lennies induct (http://boxer-performance.com/bmw-inlet-ducts/)? Would you consider do this mod in combination with the Lennies (if not why not?).

Brad

When I got my 11S, a riding mate with an 1150 RT told me the first thing I had to do was to fit the GS tubes, and to go to the 1100RT forum to see dyno results of fitting GS tubes to an RT. Saw the dyno numbers and said "rightio - this is for me :)", and since the tubes were cheap and they could be easily removed if they didn't work out I had nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

So away I went (as above), and from the moment I hit the starter the bike felt different. Better idle, crisper exhaust note, less clutch slipping uphill out of my driveway. On the road - crisper throttle response from 2000 rpm - and when the tach went past 4k it was just "in yer face" full on better.

I had this big ear to ear grin and went off to have the bike dynoed.

I overlaid my dyno result over the factory dyno charts, below:

I can tell you that the seat of the pants result is every bit equal to what you see in the dyno comparison.

You know when your testing some new power gizmo and if you squint really hard you can feel a bit more 'here' and some more "there" ...?

Not with this. It's a pie-in-yer-face type improvement. No joke. If you can't feel the difference then you're next in line for the morgue. LOL

I've got nothing to gain by telling ppl about this. I don't own a shed full of black market GS tubes or anything like that. It's just that I've never got so much bang-for-buck from anything I've done to an engine.

To your specific questions:

- Lennie's Induct: I had already fitted this and felt that it improved breathing above 4000 - 5000 rpm (I have a 2000 ft test mountain range nearby :))

- then I fitted the GS tubes (whoohoo), so I can't quantify and difference made by the Induct BUT ... it has to have helped with high rpm breathing when you look at the minimum x-section (around the battery box) of the OEM snorkel (below):

Intuitively I would say that by fitting GS tubes you would achieve the same gains below say 5k rpm (because it's an issue of better ram filling using available air, rather than needing greater air volume). Remember that great gobs of low to mid-range torque are far more exciting most of the time, so I'd say you'd still have lots of fun fitting GS tubes but using the stock intake snorkel.

When I first posted all this a couple of years ago there was a chap, who had already fitted Lennie's Rocket Sprockets and Induct, fitted the GS tubes to his 11S. His reaction was "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh f************k", or words to that effect, but shortly after he sold his 11S and disappeared.

Look - all I can say is this:

firstly, it's not like you're making a few hundred quid of irreversible changes, putting your trust in the claims made by the bloke flogging whatever it is.

secondly - I'm not flogging anything so I've nothing to gain.

thirdly - to find out, it will cost U what U might spill on the bar on a Saturday night trying to get laid yeah? (= price of second hand GS tubes).

fourthly - if U don't think they work then U can take them out just as easily, and yer now worse off than U were on that Saturday night when U were in bed before 11 o'clock. LOL LOL

fifthly - you won't have to worry about 'fourthly' - cos they flippin' well do work.

Anyway Brad - over to you mate - but here's a thought - "over analysis" of a situation: look - your talking about investing a couple of hours of your time and a few bob's worth of plastic for what is, anecdotally, a good gain.

Fer heaven's sake man - get some perspective will ye! It's not like yer deciding on a nuclear submarine contract. G'wan - splash out. Take a risk!

Having said all that, let me know how the GS tubes work out, won't ye?

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:06 pm

I'm getting tempted to try this. Are these the right parts?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mod ... g=13&fg=71
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

Al

Postby Al » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Had to take the plastics off today to charge the battery and a couple of other bits and pieces, so decided to do the mod to the intake tubes while the battery was on charge, took about 30 minutes, used a bit of sealant to keep the GS tubes in place and make sure they sealed as the radius of the tubes are different where they fit together. Have not ridden it yet but started ran fine and revved cleanly throughout rev range.
I have a Lennies induct pipe, Laser cans and chip, K&N filter and booster/accelerator plug I fit in the summer, so bike must run better :lol:

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:11 pm

metropolis2k wrote:I'm getting tempted to try this. Are these the right parts?

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mod ... g=13&fg=71

Metropolis2K - oh goodness me mate - just go for it.

I don't understand those part numbers, but what I can say is that if U call a a BMW bike wrecker (re-cycler blah blah) and so on and ask for R11 GS intake choobs, they will know exactly what you want. Easy peasy.

You can't damage your motor in any way, and if this does not meet your expectations then all U have to do do is to remove the "choobs".

:)

What would U rather do: pay a shirtload of cash for ECU mapping, an XYZ exhaust system, a monster K&N intake system, a cold air intake ECU temp sensor correction unit ... and so on ... before we are even talking about higher performance cams.

Orrrrrrr ... ohhh dear. oh me oh my. :(, or buy a pair of GS tubes from a bike salvage yard for a few quid and throw caution to the wind, with bugger all to lose?

Cheers.

HF

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Al wrote:Had to take the plastics off today to charge the battery and a couple of other bits and pieces, so decided to do the mod to the intake tubes while the battery was on charge, took about 30 minutes, used a bit of sealant to keep the GS tubes in place and make sure they sealed as the radius of the tubes are different where they fit together. Have not ridden it yet but started ran fine and revved cleanly throughout rev range.
I have a Lennies induct pipe, Laser cans and chip, K&N filter and booster/accelerator plug I fit in the summer, so bike must run better :lol:

Al.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

:-)

Return to “Boxertech”