fitting Laser Y piece

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxered
Route Master

fitting Laser Y piece

Postby Boxered » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:31 pm

Finally about to fit my Y pipe today, any tips or issues I should know about?
will I need new gaskets/compound?
do I really have to take off numberplate bracket and silencers?

any help much appreciated as I'm a complete numpty when it comes to spanner twirling

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Gats

Postby Gats » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:05 pm

Mr M will be along with explicit directions to fitting using a large mallet and brute strength.... Take it away, Jase! :D
Gary Rose.
'06 R1200S Titanium with farkles - Moristech Pro Sequential Interceptor, full Remus system, carbon bits
'12 Tiger Explorer, loaded
'15 Triumph Thruxton ACE Cafe (hers)
-------------
A little inaccuracy saves a tonne of explanation.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:08 pm

Turn back time and equip yourself with 4 new bolts since the ones holding the headers to the cat will probably shear...

If you have to remove the cans, you'd best remove the two rear fairing panels and the rear brake light cluster. Taking off the number plate bracket is a piece of cake. 3 small hex bolts hold on the number plate light panel, giving you access to two of the three bolts holding the number plate bracket to the cans.

You will probably have to lift the petrol tank to unplug the 02 sniffer before you can wrench it off the cat with a 22mm spanner. You would definately need to do that if you have a laser Y piece, since some extra length on the sniffer probe cable will need freeing up.

Other than that, it's a doddle :wink:

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:27 pm

Ouch!!!size=18][/size]
me bleedin knuckles...........why is is it that I find myself hopping around the garage when I've hurt my knuckles?....whats that all about? :(

I have a full stainless bolt kit from Bob, so I'm ok for bolts, wish I'd armed myself with a trained mechanic first though :cry:

I'm about to start my revenge with my trusty FBH....twatting of the highest order methinks.

Cheers
Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

Every nerve aware

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:14 pm

You probably dont have 4 x M6 x 25 St Steel hex head bolts for the y piece/cat in the kit as I have only just started to include them in the kits I send out, remind me of your address and I will send you some gratis.

PS a little tip if the bolt /nut seems to be a bit tight go get your best winter biking gloves put them on and then attack the offending fastener should it shear as it probably will result knuckles in one piece.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:36 pm

Thanks Bob, according to your delivery note, there are 12 m6x25 included, so I assume these are for other parts?
I'll pm you my address, I will pay you for them if you let me know how much.

Well after much twatting, have succeeded in removing the cat, skin off 4 knuckles, my temper, sheared only 1 bolt :o
Bollox to it! I'm off to the pub :x

shall carry on tomorrow

thanks all

Steve Jones for Boxertrix.com.......film at eleven
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

Every nerve aware

oyster

fitting bits

Postby oyster » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:23 pm

someone ought to do a spot for regular swap-outs like a Y pipe! A new section for alphabetically listed problems/improvements.
Then all the 'new comers' like I was a few months back could tap in and check the correct route to bliss! I learned the hard way too as to how to fit a Y pipe and left my info earlier.
The thread on Lennies, K&N, Y pipe and or not chip is proving very interesting. Just shows that individuals engines are all slightly different!
While I am here, I would just like to say that the adhesion the new E=MC shocks are providing is superb!!! :D

and I like the use of the Hellfire Club's motto by Boxerred!
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Bob, Bolts arrived this morning.... Top Bloke

Oyster wrote
"and I like the use of the Hellfire Club's motto by Boxerred!"

Was something my old boss used to quote me 25 years ago, it just stuck with me! Never heard of hellfire club, so apologies to any members on here. I didnt plagiarise.......I just nicked it! :)

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

Every nerve aware

bernsmartco

Postby bernsmartco » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:03 pm

Oyster,
Totally agree on the regular questions. Suggested it to Grom some months ago but we don't seem to have made much progress.
Ride safely
Bern.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:20 pm

bernsmartco wrote:Oyster,
Totally agree on the regular questions. Suggested it to Grom some months ago but we don't seem to have made much progress.

...Which is why I made a sticky of 'use the search function'. It'll give you a much broader view - plus there's often several answers to the same question which is why a specific FAQ isn't always the answer.

From past experience, folk will STILL want to ask further questions (and so they should if they need to), even if a FAQ section is put up.

hth.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:36 pm

bernsmartco wrote:Oyster,

In Grom's defence, I personally don't think there's anything wrong with going over old ground as new lessons/tricks may have been learnt since a general FAQ has been posted.

After all, this isn't the pelican forum and we aren't into ridiculing newcomers with the same old questions... are we?

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

carlk

Postby carlk » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:59 am

A new smiley suggestion????

:wink: :P :twisted:
traffic Dodger

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:17 am

carlk wrote:A new smiley suggestion????

:wink: :P :twisted:

:lol: :lol:

bernsmartco

Postby bernsmartco » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:40 pm

Gromit, Adam,
So how about this then!
Set up a whole new section into which the regularly appearing thread can go. Someone can own the starting thread and compile the information available to date and any new info can be posted as a reply.
Ride safely

Bern.

Return to “Boxertech”