Tyre poll

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

What rubber do you use?

Avon AV45/46ST (or other Avon)
No votes
Bridgestone BT010/014
24%
BT020
28%
Metzeler Roadtec
19%
Metz Sportec
13%
Michelin Pilot Road
9%
Pilot Sport
No votes
Pirelli Dragon Evo/Diablo
6%

Total votes: 67

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:17 am

Gromit wrote:Thanks guys - this must be fate, as I'd just spent the afternoon setting my sag (ooer) and polishing my downpipes so thought I'd check my tyres for tread depth. Nice shiny object, like the edge of a metal staple, in the rear tyre. I pull it out....sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss... :(

2 holes 5 mm apart cause by a fuggin' great big metal 'clip' thingy. Won't be repairable. Micheldever have a pair of 014's put aside for me tomorrow.

should have used SLIME.

;)
non quod, sed quomodo

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:06 pm

Ive been looking carefully at my rear Z6 over the last few weeks and reckon it will need replacing very soon. Only 3.5 k miles . May just replace the rear otherwise i'll be on my 5th consecutive different set of tyres. (that doesn't sound right) Was thinking of 020's (followed an r1100r at the weekend and he swore by them . they were scrubbed right to the edge although he had wire wheels with 110/150 combi. ive read all the threads but ijust cant make up my mind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

gus

Postby gus » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:08 pm

Well what a drama i,ve had today getting new tyres fitted! :roll:
I Had booked a couple of hours off work to get some new tyres fitted before going to LeMans next week.Was due to go yesterday to central tyres,but they didnt have a front 010 in stock.Phoned this morning,still no joy.So i gave someone else a call,they had them instock and the price was about right.
Went down late afternoon to have them fitted.
Straight in,off with the wheels.Off with the tyres..............................That dont sound right!
The bloke had only gone and put a scratch on my rear rim! :evil:
The gaffer comes over and inspects the damage and offers me a number of ways of dealing with it.
They can repair the scratch,which has taken off the black powder coat by sending it away to be repaired/recoated.
Take my bike to a BMW dealer and get them to fix it and pay for a hire bike whilst its been done.The Tyre company footing the bill.
Or maybe a little ammendment to the bill.
Now i was only arouind the corner from brums biggest r1100s breakers :wink: So i nipped round to see if i could blag a wheel for a couple o days.
Nobody in!
SHIT!
I go back with no wheel.
I come out with a new set of 010,s for a ton.
:)
Went back around to the breakers yard and pilthered a new seat and coffee from his wife.Who was now in. :wink:
Went home and scrubbed them in a bit on the way back.
gus

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:30 pm

I got a 5.5" rear you can borrow (its even got a legal tyre on) if your deal with the Brummibreaker goes t*ts up
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:49 am

gus wrote:Well what a drama i,ve had today getting new tyres fitted! :roll:
I Had booked a couple of hours off work to get some new tyres fitted before going to LeMans next week.Was due to go yesterday to central tyres,but they didnt have a front 010 in stock.Phoned this morning,still no joy.So i gave someone else a call,they had them instock and the price was about right.
Went down late afternoon to have them fitted.
Straight in,off with the wheels.Off with the tyres..............................That dont sound right!
The bloke had only gone and put a scratch on my rear rim! :evil:
The gaffer comes over and inspects the damage and offers me a number of ways of dealing with it.
They can repair the scratch,which has taken off the black powder coat by sending it away to be repaired/recoated.
Take my bike to a BMW dealer and get them to fix it and pay for a hire bike whilst its been done.The Tyre company footing the bill.
Or maybe a little ammendment to the bill.
Now i was only arouind the corner from brums biggest r1100s breakers :wink: So i nipped round to see if i could blag a wheel for a couple o days.
Nobody in!
SHIT!
I go back with no wheel.
I come out with a new set of 010,s for a ton.
:)
Went back around to the breakers yard and pilthered a new seat and coffee from his wife.Who was now in. :wink:
Went home and scrubbed them in a bit on the way back.
gus

I've got a spare 5" unpainted non ABS rear rim sans tyre if you want want too Gus. I was thinking of putting it on ebay sometime, or maybe keeping it for any future GS arrival :wink:

Jason

gus

Postby gus » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:18 pm

Thanks for the offer guys
I,m gonna leave it for the time being,it aint that bad.I,m also going to paint the chipped bits which are on the inside of the bead edge.
thanks
gus

BMMenace

Postby BMMenace » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:57 pm

Have just been down to the local dealer to get the rear Pilot Sport I ordered last wednesday fitted. He takes the wheel, takes the old one off and twenty minutes later calls me into the office. Apparently Pilot Sports are discontinued and he cant get one :shock:
All he can offer from stock is 020 or another Michelin - cant remember the name but he reckoned it was the fore runner of the Pilot Sport nso it must be pretty ancient by now. No thanks - Ill take me wheel and leave!
So now what do I fit?
The fronts a Pilot Sport with loads of life left in it. I dont do mix and match with front and rears so was thinking either :
keep the front and get a road sport on the rear - daft i know but I hate the look of the tread pattern on these!
fit a power sport on the rear - possibly a bit on the soft side / low mileage (the sport struggled to 4K)
Swao them both for 020's
Any advice?

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:42 am

BMMenace wrote:Have just been down to the local dealer to get the rear Pilot Sport I ordered last wednesday fitted. He takes the wheel, takes the old one off and twenty minutes later calls me into the office. Apparently Pilot Sports are discontinued and he cant get one :shock:
All he can offer from stock is 020 or another Michelin - cant remember the name but he reckoned it was the fore runner of the Pilot Sport nso it must be pretty ancient by now. No thanks - Ill take me wheel and leave!
So now what do I fit?
The fronts a Pilot Sport with loads of life left in it. I dont do mix and match with front and rears so was thinking either :
keep the front and get a road sport on the rear - daft i know but I hate the look of the tread pattern on these!
fit a power sport on the rear - possibly a bit on the soft side / low mileage (the sport struggled to 4K)
Swao them both for 020's
Any advice?

Nothing wrong with having a gripper front than the back.

Try a Pilot Road on the rear?
non quod, sed quomodo

Clive Alive

Postby Clive Alive » Wed May 11, 2005 11:37 pm

:?: :?: I am just about to change the Sportec rear tyre on my 04BCR - which has lasted less than 2000 miles (600 of which were running in).

Before my BCR, I had a Guzzi 1100 Sport - on which I ran Bridgestones - an 010 on the front and an 020 on the rear which worked well.

Is this a good combination on the BCR?

Alternatively - what about a Roadtec on the rear with a Sportec on the front?

Cheers
Clive

Clive Alive

Postby Clive Alive » Wed May 11, 2005 11:37 pm

:?: :?: I am just about to change the Sportec rear tyre on my 04BCR - which has lasted less than 2000 miles (600 of which were running in).

Before my BCR, I had a Guzzi 1100 Sport - on which I ran Bridgestones - an 010 on the front and an 020 on the rear which worked well.

Cheers
Clive

Clive Alive

Postby Clive Alive » Wed May 11, 2005 11:38 pm

I am just about to change the Sportec rear tyre on my 04BCR - which has lasted less than 2000 miles (600 of which were running in).

Cheers
Clive

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Thu May 12, 2005 9:01 am

I've considered a Roadtec/Sportec mix before know - actually - I think i've done it....

Seemed ok IIRC.

I've just killed a Rear Roadtec in under 4000 miles... :( (well - not dead dead, but one side of the tread was below the wear markers and from experience - Z6's don't last much longer once you get to the markers)
non quod, sed quomodo

julian

Postby julian » Thu May 12, 2005 9:56 am

I quite like the BT014s now.
They have improved with 1500 miles, although I don't see them lasting much more than 2.5k max.

Only problem is that the front is too pointy and it feels like it is going to tuck in on 30mph 90 degree turns of which we have a lot in central London. It feels like it is trying to over countersteer. Perhaps it is too little preload on the front.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Fri May 13, 2005 4:21 pm

My 014s feel the same. For riding around London the 020s are a better bet. But once you get them up to speed and temperature they start to make a whole lot of sense. I really like them. Can't speak for wear though as they've only done a few hundred miles. Feel bloody soft when they're warm, especially at the edges (are they dual compound as they feel like it?). I don't think that they're going to last too long, but they're damn good fun to wear out. :D

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:44 pm

Just to be different I recently fitted a set of Dunlop 220st , mainly in an
effort to see if i could get some decent mileage . They seem to be even quicker steering than D208's although the front took about 500 miles before it even looked used :shock: . Probably not in the z6 league though if they last longer I'll be more than happy
Nigel B

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Return to “Boxertech”