Different kind of Zorst

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

damoace

Postby damoace » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 pm

sandbar wrote:
All the seriously powerful Boxer engines that I have seen have not used any sort of balance pipe, but have joined the two main pipes a lot further forward than BMW do. One of the main reasons that BMW do not join the pipes at what appears to be optimum place is for ease of servicing (you can't change the oil filter without removing the exhaust) as well as ground clearance issues. That gives you V shaped front pipes or indeed the Y shaped ones used to get the pipes into a decent bellypan like the HP2 Sport.
sandbar

Hmm. Interesting. Perhaps better to use an old R1100 gs/rt mainfold as a starting point? :

http://www.boxer-parts.eu/szczegolyProduktu.php?kat=0&item=1917&lan=4&cur=2

Food for thought for me at least.

I'll return your thread Nick, with my apologies for hijacking it.

@MikeB: You cant notice an extra 5HP in a bike with 95 already? Pity.
R1200GS - 'El Bastardo' - The Exploder.
R1100S BCR - 'Flashart the Misguided Missile'.
KTM 990SMT- 'Scratch' - Hoonery Assured.

www.bmrider.com - The cobbled part of the information superhighway.

nab 301

Re: Different kind of Zorst

Postby nab 301 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:45 pm

el-nicko wrote:. I mean, after all, that 'right-angle' crosspipe must be doing more harm than good with regard to exhaust gas removal. Or, :o did somebody already try it?l:

Gus (and Winger i think) went that route .. although as he says "only" 97 bhp but engine spins up very quickly.

http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Re: Different kind of Zorst

Postby el-nicko » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:52 pm

nab 301 wrote:
el-nicko wrote:. I mean, after all, that 'right-angle' crosspipe must be doing more harm than good with regard to exhaust gas removal. Or, :o did somebody already try it?l:

Gus (and Winger i think) went that route .. although as he says "only" 97 bhp but engine spins up very quickly.

http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Ah yes, I can see Gus' solution (joining the two pipe together well 'downstream' ) is a lot more elegant than my original sketch. Never mind; there's been some realy interesting contributions to this thread.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:06 pm

damoace, I dont use the 90 or whatever BHP it has, so I would never notice an extra 5 at the top end.
There are only two things in life that are "Priceless"
Time & Health
Everything else can be bought or stolen.

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm with Mike, I'm not sure I'd notice a jump from a genuine 90 to a genuine 95, and if I did, how long would I notice it for, though I can see how for track use, it might be useful. The 1100r exhaust on the performance website gives no indication of how it achieves the quite substantial increase in power, and all this on an engine which is about 10hp down on the 1100s engine out of the crate. The separate headers follow the original design and do not appear to be being singled out for the increase in power.
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:51 pm

I didn't write this, I found it on the internet

The German Motorrad magazine performed an interesting test on mufflers in 04/2002 (source: www.s-boxer.de -German language -). They tested 8 different after-market (tuning) mufflers for the R1100S. Even though those manufacturers make a living with their products and many promised an increased performance, the test results were crushing. 7 out of 8 expensive tuning mufflers actually decreased the performance. Only one System (AC Schnitzer Grand Prix) had a similar performance than the original BMW muffler. By the way: The tested series R1100S had 101 bhp and 100 Nm torque with the original BMW exhaust system.
This result leads me to the conclusion; “It will be difficult to reach the performance of the original BMW exhaust system”. On the other hand, the Staintune system “without the primary pod- (this system was installed on my BMW) still reached 99 bhp and 96 Nm. None of the tested systems resulted in a significant loss of power. I guess those systems are just not worth the money.
There are only two things in life that are "Priceless"

Time & Health

Everything else can be bought or stolen.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:55 pm

What happened to the post from Mike B and me last night? Did it get lost cause there was some problems with the server?
'Let me check my concernometer.'

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:31 am

Mike B wrote:
The German Motorrad magazine performed an interesting test on mufflers in 04/2002 (source: www.s-boxer.de -German language -). They tested 8 different after-market (tuning) mufflers for the R1100S. Even though those manufacturers make a living with their products and many promised an increased performance, the test results were crushing. 7 out of 8 expensive tuning mufflers actually decreased the performance. Only one System (AC Schnitzer Grand Prix) had a similar performance than the original BMW muffler. By the way: The tested series R1100S had 101 bhp and 100 Nm torque with the original BMW exhaust system.
This result leads me to the conclusion; “It will be difficult to reach the performance of the original BMW exhaust system”. On the other hand, the Staintune system “without the primary pod- (this system was installed on my BMW) still reached 99 bhp and 96 Nm. None of the tested systems resulted in a significant loss of power. I guess those systems are just not worth the money.

This reminds me of the time that we were working with HPE to develope a silencer for the K1200. When doing the dyno testing, HPE could not get a standard bike to behave as badly as most other exhaust manufacturers were claiming was the performance of their "standard" bike.

sandbar

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:29 am

Mike B wrote:I didn't write this, I found it on the internet

I have to say, that when fitting my Staintune - there was a noticable benefit in the engine's speed of response, which would indicate an increase in midrange torque. The free-breathing should also assist high-rev power.

I don't think it is disillusionment or false claims by all the people who have ditched their cats either.

That said - The ability of an engine to breath easier isn't the whole story. The ability to burn more fuel, efficiently - requires that more fuel is available to "feed the fire".

I don't see Honda running stock exhausts on John McGuiness's Fireblades either :?

Al :)

(not ready to sell my Staintune........ yet :wink: )
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:01 am

(not ready to sell my Staintune........ yet. :) . Oh well, better start saving then :cry:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:29 pm

those look remarkably similar to the Remus fitted to my BCR
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 pm

el-nicko wrote:Image

God, they're gorgeous :shock:

God, they're pricey :cry:
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:10 am

£1617 ! :shock:

I hadn't realised they cost that much new, now :?

They've always gone (secondhand) for around £450 on here (They don't seem to make it as far as Ebay).

That seems a bit cheap, now :?

If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 pm

All I remember one that had never been fitted and they where only asking £400 for it!!!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Boxertech”