Rough-running Rockster

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Rough-running Rockster

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:54 am

This has only been happening for 2 days - came on very abruptly on Saturday - just after I'd cleaned the bike. Is it possible that I bumped or messed with something while cleaning around the injectors??

Friday night the bike was running perfectly.
non quod, sed quomodo

Smeegles

Re: Rough-running Rockster

Postby Smeegles » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:42 pm

RiceBurner wrote:This has only been happening for 2 days - came on very abruptly on Saturday - just after I'd cleaned the bike. Is it possible that I bumped or messed with something while cleaning around the injectors??

Friday night the bike was running perfectly.

Just after you washed the bike?
water in the electricals somewhere.
WD40 is your friend.
check where the leads come into the cylinder head
remove and examine.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:10 pm

Bit of a long shot - but make sure you've not disturbed the throttle position sensor on the l/h throttle body. It'd take quite a knock to dislodge it though.

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:42 pm

Mine has tarted doing this too! What are your symptoms? The iddle seems rougher than usual. The pick up seems slightly slower than normal. Also off the throttle there's a little surging. Possible thoughts;

a. 02 sensor (or wires) distubed when the Y piece was fitted just before Christmas. Running too rich?
b. ECU needs resetting?
c. Some intermittant mis-fire?

d. Lastly (and I need some help here), the auto choke, idle speed thingy, when you hold it open, it's fine, but then there's no difference between the other two settings. That is it's the same on the middle position as it is on the normal/off setting. Is this anything to do with the TPS?

Mark

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:15 pm

Gromit wrote:Bit of a long shot - but make sure you've not disturbed the throttle position sensor on the l/h throttle body. It'd take quite a knock to dislodge it though.

hmmm worrying thoughts - cheers guys

I have to say I've always been a bit concerned about the vulnerability of the injector systems - why they can't be tucked up inside something protective I don't understand.

I doubt water ingestion will be the reason - the bike is used in all weathers and lives outside (in a bike bay) during working hours. More worried about what Grom suggested.

oh yeah - should I not use it until it goes to Vines on Thursday???? Will I damage anything?? (normal use is 105 miles a day of pretty harsh riding).
non quod, sed quomodo

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:59 pm

Ricey,

Mine's going in to South London on Wednesday. I don't think that it's doing any harm. If it is running rich then that's not going to do any long term damage. I don't think it's running lean as it would get very hot and there's no pinking under load so I don't think that it's a clogged injector. Somehow the fuelling isn't quite right. Where abouts are you? We could bang our heads together after work if that helps. I'm by Holborn Circus?

PS. begining to regret buying that wee smelling petrol off the bloke in the pub.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:58 pm

[
d. Lastly (and I need some help here), the auto choke, idle speed thingy, when you hold it open, it's fine, but then there's no difference between the other two settings. That is it's the same on the middle position as it is on the normal/off setting. Is this anything to do with the TPS?

Mark[/quote]

Bmwonder
The fast idle cable is just that , its connected to the throttle cable junction and holds the throttle bodies just off their stops . The throttle bodies may just need balancing , or maybe the fast idle cable is slack
Regds, Nigel B.

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:54 am

Hmm! Thanks Nigel. I wonder it the throttles need balancing? It cut out on me on the way home last night just as I was pulling up to the lights.

As for the fast idle control. When you let go and it goes to the first position it goes to about 975rpm until it was up a bit and then it goes to the standard 1100rpm. It's going in tomorrow so I'll see what they say.

Mark

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:35 am

Well - it's still bad - stalled in the middle of a rounadbout this morning! :( It won't tick over without the fast-idle pulled up.

pops and bangs on the overrun like a race bike though....

I reckon one cylinder is running lean and the Motronic is compensating by making the other run rich in order to make the bad one run ok.

It's going to Vines on Thursday though.,
non quod, sed quomodo

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:54 am

It's not as simple as the throttle cable outer dislodged from the cup on the right hand intake is it? Apparently a common thing but normally after the tank has been removed rather than just cleaning.

Let us know the outcome.

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:55 am

If I find out what's wrong with mine on Wed I'll send you a PM. Might help?

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:48 pm

adamski49 wrote:It's not as simple as the throttle cable outer dislodged from the cup on the right hand intake is it? Apparently a common thing but normally after the tank has been removed rather than just cleaning.

Let us know the outcome.

hmm - I'll have a look at that.

Wonder - I don't have the kit to balance the system up so it really has to go to a shop (I'm also short on available time). But any thoughts obviously appreciated :)
non quod, sed quomodo

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:34 pm

Ricey

Here's a pic I lifted from ukGSer

The outer should be seated securely down into the knurled adjusting nut. Some are completely out and some just aren't seated correctly and both give rise to poor running.

See more here.

HTH

Errr... just noticed that's the LHS... so check both sides then.
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:38 pm

check on each side that the inner wire is properly seated in the groove of the quadrant that opens the throttle butterfly. Cleaning can definitely dislodge this inner cable which causes very poor running.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:07 pm

bmwonder wrote:Mine has tarted doing this too! What are your symptoms? The iddle seems rougher than usual. The pick up seems slightly slower than normal. Also off the throttle there's a little surging. Possible thoughts;

a. 02 sensor (or wires) distubed when the Y piece was fitted just before Christmas. Running too rich?
b. ECU needs resetting?
c. Some intermittant mis-fire?

Mark

You need to get the cable adjusted underneath the switch gear! left hand!

Return to “Boxertech”