Front brakes locked on

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Lightrunner

Front brakes locked on

Postby Lightrunner » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:44 am

I was less than 400 yards from work this morning when it felt like the front brakes were on. I was doing about 40 mph, had just lightly braked as the car in front had but the brakes didn't release. I rolled along a bit confused trying to decide what I should do as I was about to get to work. Tried slowing down and pumping the brakes (I don't know why there was no technical theory being tested when I did that) after about another 50 yards they released.

I checked the front discs when I got to work, one of the was hot enough to take my fingerprints off and the other one was cool.

I'm assuming that only the one locked on but by looking more closely at the discs that one looks more worn, slight deeper groove.

What do you think I should do, I use the bike everyday so can't afford to take it off the road to look at really but I'm not keen to ride something that's potentially got a brake problem. I've only had the bike a few months although it's done a few thousand miles since I bought it and I've just had it serviced, last week.
I'm thinking that my options are get the torches out and have a look at it tonight when I get home.... or phone Vines and pass it on to them at potentially crippling costs :(

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:00 pm

take the pads out and clean their edges up with sandpaper/ a file - If you use every day, there's a strong chance that the salty spray from the roads has caused the pads to stick to the calipers with corrosion. Had to do this on my Rockster when it was 4 months old. The Tokico calipers (branded "BMW") seem particularly bad for this. Brembos use stainless inserts for the surfaces that the pad bear against, eliminating the problem.

I had to clean up my Rockster ones 4 months from new ! (it had been the dealers demo so probably got lots of time standing round damp but even so!)

Lightrunner

Postby Lightrunner » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:25 pm

cheers I'll give it a go.
It does get daily use and I've not got back into my cleaning routine yet with this bike so it's maybe not had the care it deserves.

I've not ever worked on any of my own bikes but I have recently done a motorcycle maintenance course with the intention of starting to do more of my own routine maintenance. Is there anything I need to watch out for in doing this? Anything that it's wise to buy before hand so I'm not stuck with a non-working machine and a long walk to get anything that I need?
I've just been out to the carpark to have a quick look at her and I've already noticed that the bolts securing the calipers have a head that I've not got the right tool for. Is it a torque head? Is this the sort of thing I can get easily enough from Halfords?

Cheers for the help

Harry

Postby Harry » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:03 pm

From memory, it's an 8mm allen key.

Lightrunner

Postby Lightrunner » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:06 pm

yeah I had assumed that it would have allen head bolts but it's not... it's quite a distinctive 'star' shape which is why I wonder if it's torx?
Or can I happily use an allen key?

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:49 pm

Sounds like a torx to me. Get the right bit for the job - I got an assortment of bizarre bits from screwfix that I use with a socket set (hex drive). You never know, Halfords might be able to help with the bits.

Fortunately for me though, I have a 2000 model with brembos and allen bolts, so no nasty stripping calipers or the like.

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:47 pm

I bought a set of hex head sockets from Halfords, which I needed to fit my hugger to the rear caliper mount. I assume this is the same as yours, Mines an 02 S.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:28 pm

They are Torx on the newer bikes. Can't remember the size specifically its a TX45 or bigger. Bigger branches of Halfords sell them as 3/8" drive sockets individually which lets you use a torque wrench with them. They may also have a set on a rail, just make sure the biggest size is big enough.

Lightrunner

Postby Lightrunner » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:33 pm

cheers all - I've got the workshop manual at home so I'll check in there to see if it talks about sizes on the bolt then I'll pop to my local Halfords... they're pretty good at letting me take tools out of the shop to check on the bike or Jeep before I buy so I'll know I'm getting the bit that fits.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:01 pm

Word of warning:
This happened to me on the motorway at approx a ton... and i was going up hill, so without realising what was wrong i opened the throttle!! Within a second or two the bike was starting to slow veryquickly and as i released the throttle i had a bloody frightening emergency stop on my hands (this is on a bike that had only 1500 miles on the clock).
The disc was blued really badly and after a few minutes the brake had released, so i rode the next 80 or so miles with great care..
BMW changed disks and calipers on warranty. They are the bmw calipers and they are apparently known for seizing when mucky!
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

BOWLER

Postby BOWLER » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:35 pm

Thank for all previous comments, I have had the same problem which resulted with me hittting the deck on the snow,luckily unhurt but the bike looks a bit the worst for wear.Hasd also happened twice since, just waiting for a dry day so I can strip and clean the calipers.
Jeff

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:14 pm

BOWLER wrote:Thank for all previous comments, I have had the same problem which resulted with me hittting the deck on the snow,luckily unhurt but the bike looks a bit the worst for wear.Hasd also happened twice since, just waiting for a dry day so I can strip and clean the calipers.
Jeff

Sorry to hear that Jeff - that's a b'stard. As long as you're OK I guess. What damage did you do to the bike?

Jason

BOWLER

Postby BOWLER » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:26 pm

Thanks for the concern the damage was
Smashed front indicator pod{could have been worse could have holed the fairing}
Scraped rocker cover
Rear indicator
Chamfered bar end weight and brakr lever
Scuff on pannier frame{may have prevented damage to seat cowl}
DAMAGED PRIDE
JEFF

BOWLER

Postby BOWLER » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:39 pm

Calipers removed and cleaned out,had to fit new pads,brakes had definitely been sticking .Left hand side pads still had plenty of life but right hand side well worn Wallet still stinging from cost of pads but thats life.
What appears to be average milage to a set of pads.
Cheers
Jeff

Lightrunner

Postby Lightrunner » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:00 am

It's done it again!!!

Going home Friday night it locked on while I was going through a 40 zone.
I'm just grateful that it's not happened when I've been on a faster road.
I rode straight to the dealers and told them what had happened, wanted to talk to them while I was still a bit emotional about the whole thing. It takes a lot to get me upset but the potential of getting thrown down the road by the bike would do it.
They were sympathetic and immediately offered to take it in and give the brakes a going over while I took a loan bike. They even gave me a few bacon rolls on Saturday after the work was done.

What I don't understand, and I suspect I'm just niave, is that they know that the brakes are a problem and have a tendency to bind up if not in spotless condition. I stripped and cleaned the calipers after it first happened, 1500 miles ago, and the bikes had a 6k and annual service since then, 1000 miles ago. It also gets a good wash every couple of weeks. I was planning to strip and clean the calipers every few thousand to make sure I keep on top of them but that's clearly not often enough? The dealership have recommended I do it at least once a month which isn't a problem but I'm a bit suprised.

Return to “Boxertech”