Lennies : Any noticable difference?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:48 am

What Mike says makes a lot of sense. There's a bloke drinks in the same pub as me who tunes Hayabusa engines for them peeps who race those little grass track cars. He recons folk who are new to the sport turn up from all over the country with engines that they insist he tunes for 'top end' performance. He tries to tell 'em, "You'll be needing the grunt where you can use it". They don't listen. They go race. Next time he sees em. :?: They listen. :wink:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

gus

Postby gus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:38 pm

[quote="Mike B"]Mine had a Y piece fitted when I got it, so I don't really know what a totally standard one is like.

It has my opened up induct, and I have fitted a variety of different filters. I also fitted it with a boosterplug.

What I am saying is, what is the first thing you do on a test ride after you have made a modification? you thrash it! is sounds louder and you are riding much quicker than normal so your perception is that your mod was an improvement and it's much quicker. When you revert back to normal riding, can you tell a difference? maybe not.

I removed my "Val Singleton" air filter and put a standard one back in. On the test ride, yes I thrashed it. Did it feel quicker? actually yes. Just proving the point I made.

Yes, I agree an engine is a pump, and yes I agree than on full bore free flowing intake and outlet is a good thing. But, on a road bike, and a powerful one like the beemer, just how often are you on full bore? For the vast majority of the time you will be riding with the throttle hardly open at all, in which case there is no restriction.
Hi
That's what you might do,others may do things differently. As has been stated there is over a 10% gain in real world horsepower across the range by bolting on various bits. As has been said the power commander is the key to making it all work together really well. You don't need to ride full bore as you put it to appreciate the gains available. All these gains have been seen by use of dyno work so it ain't it's louder , so must be faster scenario. Please credit people on here who have done mods and proved them to work rather than tar everyone with the same brush. The 1100s isnt what I would call powerful as standard but can be made a hell of a lot better with a little modification .
Gus

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Gus, i am not saying mods dont work. I am saying for me personally I wouldn't really notice they way I ride my Beemer. I didn't buy it for that.

most increases in power usually come with revs, I don't rev mine at all, I love the low down torque, hence the reason I love the cam sprockets.

My comment regarding the beemer being powerful, In my opinion it has plenty enough for a road bike.

I did say it was my 2pence worth lol
There are only two things in life that are "Priceless"
Time & Health
Everything else can be bought or stolen.

feralworks

Postby feralworks » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:41 am

The R1100s I ran last year (& spent a fortune on!) ran, on the performance front, :
Lennies induct
Val Singleton filter
Power Commander
Y piece
Lazer end cans
adjustable paralever strut
Wilbers shocks F&R
Schnitzer wheels (6" rear)
Err... I'm sure there was more....

I thought it ran fairly well &, despite the cost, felt I'd made a worthwhile improvement.
Then a standard one came in for a service & I ran it round the block - Jeez!! It was awful !! :shock: Quite a bit slower too.

When the guy came to pick it up I asked him if he'd ride mine & give me an honest opinion.
WHEN he got back (was beginning to think he'd binned it!) he couldn't stop enthusing over it 8) He told me he was enjoying it so much that he was nearly back but decided to turn around & do it all again. Although he did say he couldn't live with the noise :roll:

Clearly, if you do the mods over a period of time you get used to the improvement & it's only by doing a back-to-back comparison that you can really see how much you've improved / spoilt the bike!

The same can be said for how a worn out shock creeps up on you without you noticing until it completely fails, or the sudden 'I'm a MotoGP god' feeling of fitting new tyres!

R100CS / 1070 kit
Krauser MKM & 4v heads
R1200S
Thunderbird Sport
Dresda Honda 590/4
R NineT

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A CABLE TIE - IT REALLY IS BROKEN !!

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:01 pm

feralworks wrote: or the sudden 'I'm a MotoGP god' feeling of fitting new tyres!

Assuming you don't highside it while riding out of the tyre fitters..

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

feralworks

Postby feralworks » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:20 pm

nab 301 wrote:
feralworks wrote: or the sudden 'I'm a MotoGP god' feeling of fitting new tyres!

Assuming you don't highside it while riding out of the tyre fitters..

Isn't that what MotoGP gods do ??
(i.e. Casey Stoner warm -up lap crash Valencia 2009) :roll: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0iszcvOYaw
R100CS / 1070 kit
Krauser MKM & 4v heads
R1200S
Thunderbird Sport
Dresda Honda 590/4
R NineT

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A CABLE TIE - IT REALLY IS BROKEN !!

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Well gents, there you have it, from two of the sites "mad" modders and beemadonnas you CAN make a difference :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:05 pm

boxerscott wrote:Well gents, there you have it, from two of the sites "mad" modders and beemadonnas you CAN make a difference :wink:

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:44 am

I would agree with that amount of changes you would be able to tell a difference, however the title of this thread did ask could you tell a difference with a Lennies induct. I assumed this to mean just a Lennie induct, to which my personal opinion was no, not in isolation.

If I had had spent as much as you guys on all those goodies I would be seriously miffed if it rode just like a standard one. As Gus pointed out, you can get an extra 10% with ALL the mods. So am I right it thinking about 9 bhp at full power? So how much for JUST an induct?

my 2pence worth.

Time & Health

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:58 am

What el-nicko said about the Busa tuner, yep I learned many years ago when tuning and racing two strokes. On the track/road there are more corners than straights, and one of the best mods for faster lap times believe it or not was BRAKES.

Time & Health

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:58 am

Mike B wrote:I would agree with that amount of changes you would be able to tell a difference, however the title of this thread did ask could you tell a difference with a Lennies induct. I assumed this to mean just a Lennie induct, to which my personal opinion was no, not in isolation.

If I had had spent as much as you guys on all those goodies I would be seriously miffed if it rode just like a standard one. As Gus pointed out, you can get an extra 10% with ALL the mods. So am I right it thinking about 9 bhp at full power? So how much for JUST an induct?

my 2pence worth.

And that Mike, is precisely why I've been reluctant to add the fabled induct to my bike. I already have the sprockets, the cans, the Y-piece, the Val filter, the Techlusion module and the almost fabled 'Mikeduct' :D, so I reckon if I spent £350 on a Lennies Induct, I probaly wouldn't notice that much of a difference. Unless a secondhand one somehow falls into my lap at a very reasonable price, it's unlikely that I'd be having one. (Might be tempted by the much cheaper plastic version sold by SJ BMW in the States though.) :roll:
Last edited by Daveg2812 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:08 am

Hi Dave

I often wonder why, if the induct is such a restriction, we don't just remove the whole lot?

I have ridden mine without, and i certainly believe the whole induct thing is just for noise reduction. Cos it's certainly loud without it lol

As for cool air, well yes I can see the idea while stood in traffic or very slow moving, but on the move it would be pretty cool under there anyway.

The next time the bodywork comes off mine, I will be removing the whole induct.

Time & Health

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:55 am

Mike B wrote:Hi Dave

I often wonder why, if the induct is such a restriction, we don't just remove the whole lot?

I have ridden mine without, and i certainly believe the whole induct thing is just for noise reduction. Cos it's certainly loud without it lol

As for cool air, well yes I can see the idea while stood in traffic or very slow moving, but on the move it would be pretty cool under there anyway.

The next time the bodywork comes off mine, I will be removing the whole induct.

I would try taking the whole thing off mine if i had the plastics on but as it stands the airbox would fill with water

Another idea i had was to remove the air box plenium chamber and fit two individual filters to the inlet tubes, assuming i can get them out of the airbox [just realised they will fly out with no problem] if i angle them down no water could enter, i will have to fit some sort of protection to stop spray from the back wheel getting to them but that will be easy
The reason i think this would work is the throttle bodies we have fitted are directly connected to the throttle and don't work on a vacume so i realy can't see why we need the plenium chamber,
I think the advantage would be weight saving and stopping the breather breathing directly back into the intake
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

oyster

Postby oyster » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:59 am

Mike Hailwood took a lot of stick about his family wealth funding his superior bikes enabling him to win frequently. It all came to a head. The new delivery of factory machines, in the crate, (AJS 7R) arrived at the trackside the day before the race. He advised his loudest dissenter to pick any one of those for him. Hailwood took the bike chosen for him, prepared it and won the race. He had no Lennies induct on that one.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:19 am

Just had a look on the motoworks web site

HELP does anybody know which Throttle body inlet duct's will fit that are longer than the R1100S ones the extra length will allow me to tuck them in further

Thanks Dai
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe

http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata

http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie

http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Return to “Boxertech”