clutch oem or aftermarket

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dysondiver

clutch oem or aftermarket

Postby dysondiver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:20 pm

hi guys as i mentioned in my introduction post i bought most of an 1100s it was missing a few parts , exhaust shock alternator and clutch ,,,, thanks to a few people and flea bay i have all of the bits now except for a complete clutch ,,,, heres the question , do i buy an original bmw clutch at 350 , or a motorworks kit at 225 , both with new bolts and this special grease im told i need ,,, any thoughts and advice appreciated.. thanks in advance.
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

r550s

Postby r550s » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:01 pm

how much is secondhand from Motorworks? - they'll sort you out a good one if you ask!
'Hinterachsge' translates as 'rear axle'.(Not 'Differential', so f*** off)

dysondiver

second hand

Postby dysondiver » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:28 pm

hi , i hadnt thought about that , do any of the other bits give bother or is it just the friction plate that wears out .. i know in the old cortina days all you ever did was change the friction plate , but with the moddern stuff its swap the lot ,,, just sounding out ideas at the moment from those who know.
thanks
t

r550s

Postby r550s » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:36 pm

34,900 changed clutch friction plate – was below wear limit (.18”) & breaking up. Also changed pressure plate & cover (new cover screws) – all items good s/hand. Rear crank seal ok. G/box output shaft seal leaking – changed. G/box clutch slave cyl shaft seal also leaking – not changed – slave cyl gasket prevents leak. Neutral sw seal ok. New g/box & final drive oil (SAE 80/90)

There y'go - cut and pasted from my anal notes!

Bike is now on 58,000, much abused clutch might just be starting to give up again. I only changed the pressure plate & cover back then because it had blued after lots of clutch slip.
'Hinterachsge' translates as 'rear axle'.(Not 'Differential', so f*** off)

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:41 pm

bit the bullet and put in a brand new oem one , so next time it needs looked at i will keep all the metal bits and replace the friction plate only ,,, thanks for the help and thoughts.

Return to “Boxertech”