ACF50 how do you apply yours???

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Is it Pro-Care No 1?

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:30 am

I'm thinking of using a paint spraying kit and a small air compressor-that should be easy enough to get the desired misting effect shouldn't it??

I spoke to the guys at nippy Normans who agreed that the aerosol does give a big thick splurge of ACF but if I buy the litre it came with a pump bottle which is "slightly" better! I think I'll give the 1L a go and if the pump bottle isn't any better I can look at other alternatives!!

wicker

Postby wicker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 pm

ACF50 seems to spray better if you have slightly warmed it. I usually leave the can on top of the central heating radiator for 1/2 hour whilst cleaning the bike.

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Don't over pump the ACF bottle, if the pressure is too high you get a jet, rather than a mist.

I spray it on then spread it with a designated ACF rag.

It's probabley more use on your winter hack than the S though.....
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

Vince

Postby Vince » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 pm

Steve1200S wrote:Don't over pump the ACF bottle, if the pressure is too high you get a jet, rather than a mist.

I spray it on then spread it with a designated ACF rag.

It's probabley more use on your winter hack than the S though.....

Agree with the above.The ACF bottle spray is good for touch up through winter once you've warmed it.

It's about now that I remove the plastics from my RT and get the cheapo paint spray gun I bought and the compressor out and use that to apply the ACF, it's a far better way of doing it as it really does atomise the ACF and allow it to get everywhere you can get to and doesn't over apply it.

ACF50 specific rag and a paint brush is good for top up through winter.
I tend to still hose off with COLD water after riding on salty roads mind, just not a proper clean as I don't want to remove the ACF.

Proper clean and a recaoat with ACF come Christmas
\v/
2015 S1000rs
2007 R12r
2007 R1200RTSE
2005 R1200ST (2007~2009)
1996 VFR750FT (1996~2007)
1994 RF600 (1994~1996)
GPZ750
X7
DT175
TS50

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm tempted to shut up and just buy ACF50 shares........ :roll:

If you are spraying it on - what the hell are you spraying it on to?

It sounds like you have found acres of untreated aluminium or magnesium on your bikes :?

Get a can of a hard cavity wax and spray it over the rest of the bike, using the ACF50 for bare bolts etc.......

You won't have to worry about destroying the cavity wax film with washing - in fact you'll need to go some to get rid of it :roll:

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Vince

Postby Vince » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:33 pm

It's the creepbilty of the Acf. I prefer, ease of application and removal. When the time comes.
And it works.
The OP asked about Acf application., just giving my methods of using it.
\v/

2015 S1000rs

2007 R12r

2007 R1200RTSE

2005 R1200ST (2007~2009)

1996 VFR750FT (1996~2007)

1994 RF600 (1994~1996)

GPZ750

X7

DT175

TS50

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Clean bike to within an inch of it's life.

Remove body work & wheels mask of calipers.

Put regular aerosol can in ho water and keep a jug of hot water handy to keep the can warm

Mask off discs and spray ACF50 onto a small paint brush and paint wheels and spokes.

Re install wheels and then clean brake discs with brake cleaner.

Ride bike all through winter do not bother to wash at all.

End of February clean bike twice with S Doc 100 gel cleaner, polish hey presto bike looks like it just came out of the showroom ( ask other folks about the condition of my bikes)

Remember keep the can warm at all times a regular aerosol can is more than enough to do a bike well

One decent coat is enough to last all winter.

Takes me about 4 hours to do my GS Adventure start to finish

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:48 pm

with you on this Al, I used some waxoyl type stuff years ago on an R65 - ran it all winter and cleaned it off and the bike looked like new - was a bugger to clean off mind!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:27 pm

took me a while ,,, the really good thick scented wd40 stuff that works so well ,was called ,,,,,, break away. plain steel gallon tin yellow label from the motor factors , perfumed smell.
hope that helps some one
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Blackal wrote:Then get a leaf-blower and dry it off, paying particular attention to the brake calipers.

If you are storing it for 4+ months - take the brake pads out not a huge job) as it will save the galvanic action between the bronze flecks in the pads and the steel of the discs. They can pit a disc really badly over the winter.

(Don't forget to refit them in Feb :shock: )

Good idea 'bout brake pads. That galvanic action; Ugh :!: After getting caught out late one night a week or so ago on freshly salted roads, I washed my bike, dried it off as best I could (no leaf blower tho :cry:) and put it away. Took the cover off yesterday to see if things were 'ok' and wadyano :?: Could'nt rotate the front wheel 'cos the pads had stuck (rusted) to the rotors :!: I've got to use it over the holiday but next time I lay it up I'll be removing the bolts and moving the calipers to the very edge of the disc. That way the pads won't 'creep' together and the discs won't get pitted. I'll shove the workshop broom handle thru the front wheel to remind me to refit them :idea:.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:53 pm

el-nicko wrote:
Blackal wrote:Then get a leaf-blower and dry it off, paying particular attention to the brake calipers.

If you are storing it for 4+ months - take the brake pads out not a huge job) as it will save the galvanic action between the bronze flecks in the pads and the steel of the discs. They can pit a disc really badly over the winter.

(Don't forget to refit them in Feb :shock: )

Good idea 'bout brake pads. That galvanic action; Ugh :!: After getting caught out late one night a week or so ago on freshly salted roads, I washed my bike, dried it off as best I could (no leaf blower tho :cry:) and put it away. Took the cover off yesterday to see if things were 'ok' and wadyano :?: Could'nt rotate the front wheel 'cos the pads had stuck (rusted) to the rotors :!: I've got to use it over the holiday but next time I lay it up I'll be removing the bolts and moving the calipers to the very edge of the disc. That way the pads won't 'creep' together and the discs won't get pitted. I'll shove the workshop broom handle thru the front wheel to remind me to refit them :idea:.

A piece of plastic oil container between the pads and disc's will do the job
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Herb

Postby Herb » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:09 pm

I use fs365, summer and winter. Doddle to use, spray on when bike is wet, either after a wash, or after a wet ride. Job done.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Dai wiskers wrote: A piece of plastic oil container between the pads and disc's will do the job

I'll give that a try too m8.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:26 am

el-nicko wrote:
Dai wiskers wrote: A piece of plastic oil container between the pads and disc's will do the job

seriously? Oil container?
I'd go with a piece of plastic milk carton myself.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Return to “Boxertech”