tax disc

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Mine also lives in the drawer in my office.

Been stopped by the police (pulled me to have a look at my bike, a Suzuki GT750) wasn't interested in where the tax disc was lol. I told him it was at home. His reply was "it's ok so is mine, I just wanted to have a look at your Kettle, not seen one in years" He then told me that they can check out to see if a vehicle was legal from the reg number, so displaying (or not, as the case may be) it wasn't an issue for him.
There are only two things in life that are "Priceless"
Time & Health
Everything else can be bought or stolen.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:45 pm

It's over-zealous traffic wardens in public car parks you've got to worry about tho mate.
Last edited by el-nicko on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:46 pm

nope, cos I never park it lol
There are only two things in life that are "Priceless"

Time & Health

Everything else can be bought or stolen.

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:02 pm

i have said for a long time why the dvla continues to go to the cost of all the discs they produce when all it takes is a radio call/pnc check of the reg.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Mike B wrote:nope, cos I never park it lol

Well maybe you don't Mike but that doesn't remove the threat to those of us that do does it. :roll:
Last edited by el-nicko on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 pm

el-nicko wrote: BTW, is'nt it a requirment that it must be visible from the nearside of the vehicle?

Technically, near side in front of the rider's position and between two heights that I can't be ar5ed to remember.

I used to have mine hanging off the rear peg bracket IIRC.
Ex-11S owner; now SV-S owner.

Where's me heated grips gone?

NA1959

Postby NA1959 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 pm

We have a double isssue as in Northern Ireland we must display an MOT Disc as well

Mounted both discs on either side of front fender using the mounting bolts Works for me :roll: :roll:
Over 40 and flying low ---------

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:07 am

Mine is fitted behind the rear foot peg also.....but the paper disc is a colour photocopy. The original is laminated and sits under the seat :thumbup:

Simples!

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Flipper1200

Postby Flipper1200 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 pm

It is a popular misconception that police can check whether a vehicle has an upto date VEL. They are not shown as expired on the police national computer until at least 3 months expired. Don't know why as MOT and insurance go on almost immediately.
It is, however, an offence purely not to display it, although most (though not all) will be happy if you can produce your disc from a pocket or under the seat when required.
2000 Honda (yes, I know) VFR 800FiY
2006 Custard and grey R1200s R.I.P 29/1/2013
1988 Duct tape and dirt FJ1200

Flipper1200

Postby Flipper1200 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Dog Tyred wrote:Mine is fitted behind the rear foot peg also.....but the paper disc is a colour photocopy. The original is laminated and sits under the seat :thumbup:

Simples!

DT

Exhibiting a colourable imitation! S59 Road vehicles (registration and licensing) regulations 1971.
Just write copy across it, and it's problem solved! Stops anyone possibly thinking they're trying to be had over :)
2000 Honda (yes, I know) VFR 800FiY

2006 Custard and grey R1200s R.I.P 29/1/2013

1988 Duct tape and dirt FJ1200

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Trouble is, some overzealous traffic wardens'll bust you if they find you parked-up in a public car park and not displaying a current disc. Those buggers have 'targets' to hit. :shock: And another thing; Recently there's been murmerings about charging bikes to park. I'm wondering where they expect us to display the ticket on a 'naked' bike on a wet and windy day.:?
Last edited by el-nicko on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Me-109 wrote:
el-nicko wrote: BTW, is'nt it a requirment that it must be visible from the nearside of the vehicle?

Technically, near side in front of the rider's position and between two heights that I can't be ar5ed to remember.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002 ... ion/6/made

(ii)on the near side of the vehicle in front of the driver’s seat and not less than 760 mm and not more than 1.8 metres above the surface of the road.

I thought this was legal. However, it looks as though I'm infringing the minimum height requirement. :cry:

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:30 pm

. Just found this on another forum....

"It's car related but I thought I'd share seeing as we're talking about disc position.

Picture the scene,
Hospital appointment, no parking spaces to be had, so the little lad had a blue badge, as much as I loath using it I dropped MrsB off for the appointment and parked the car on a side road.
Technically the car was facing the wrong direction on the carriage way, anyway the upshot is, I got a £60 fixed penalty not because I was facing the wrong way, but because the taxdisc was not visible from the kerb side.

I challenged the traffic wardens decision for the ticket as I was within the boundaries of the "blue badge scheme"
I got a great letter back from the council sympathising with the traffic wardens decision, but they were upholding his ticket because of the position I left the vehical contravened health and safety.
The traffic warden going about his daily duties is not permitted to enter a carriageway to check the badges.
Should the badge not be visible from the kerb a fixed penalty will be issued.

Heres the hit

They backed this theory up with a leaflet and also with a f**king photograph of my car and it's position taken from, yes, the f**kin road!!!

I Simply said, surely while the tosser was stood that side taking the picture, he could have checked the badge!

Local authority. Who'd have them "

Un-f**kin'-believable eh? George Orwell and Franz Kafka must be spinin' in their graves at a fair old rate.

Return to “Boxertech”