GS intake runners fitted to my 1100S: WOW !!! Pics added.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

HerrFlick

Re: GS Tube

Postby HerrFlick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:04 am

ODDWHEELS wrote:Take Heerflick for a squirt and that will help keep the black dog away, my R1100S keeps my interests up and it's always a pleasure to ride, even though it's foggy and 5 degrees C. "Keep Riding" :D

Thanks for your encouragement OddMan, but it hasn't been as easy as that during this recent bout. Grrrrr...

Cheers.

Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:43 pm

old thread ,,, but what was the general view , ,, did the dyno confirm things
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:18 pm

dysondiver wrote:old thread ,,, but what was the general view , ,, did the dyno confirm things

I never saw any dyno charts
Afaik it was only the seat of the pants type dyno...
Easy enough to do though if you want to move the power band.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:49 pm

i remember reading about the air tube ,, so ill go and find one , its got to be off a 1100gs from what i understand ,, so i may as well try the runners too ,,, after all said and done , its not the most expensive mod on the face of the earth,, something to play with over the rainy days , and test in the summer.
best i do the cam chain adjuster mod when im in that far too.
thanks for the idea though.

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 am

dysondiver wrote:i remember reading about the air tube ,, so ill go and find one , its got to be off a 1100gs from what i understand ,, so i may as well try the runners too ,,, after all said and done , its not the most expensive mod on the face of the earth,, something to play with over the rainy days , and test in the summer.
best i do the cam chain adjuster mod when im in that far too.
thanks for the idea though.

Hi Dysondiver.

Firstly - it's the intake tubes to the airbox are what you want. 1100GS or 1150GS are identical. Sometimes called 'runners'.

I did this conversion on my 'S' and started this thread with the results in late 2012.

I did so after a friend put me on to an RT forum where a chap had put GS runners on his RT and meticulously dynoed the results.

"Looks like the go for me" I thought and away I went with the 'S'.
Removing the bodywork is the longest part. Easy to reverse if it didn't work.

First thing I noticed was the easier starting and even idle.
Then the crackle in the exhaust note when I blipped the throttle. Cool. :)

Out the driveway and up a short hill: much less clutch needed. Onto the road and roll on the throttle. WHOA!!! Didn't have to concentrate to feel a bit more here and a bit more there. Was pie-in-your-face type improvement. :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's the best bang-for-buck mod I've ever made to any engine. My 'S' is otherwise completely stock.

I really encourage you to get on with it.

Would you get back to me with your impressions when it's done.

I actually have before/after dyno results but I'm loathe to publish them after the many naysayer opinions already posted here.

All the best and have fun. (follow my step-by-step pics).

Cheers.
John C.

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:54 am

hi , yes i have your pictures downloaded , hand to know that the 1100 and the 1150 gs are the same , im sure i read somewhere that the actual snorkel
was a good thing to change as well , thats the bit i didnt know if it had to come from an 1100 or an 1150gs , maybe they are the same too ..
ill do the mod as its winter it will be a while till i pass verdict , but its too good not to try ,,, many thanks

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:01 pm

dysondiver wrote:hi , yes i have your pictures downloaded , hand to know that the 1100 and the 1150 gs are the same , im sure i read somewhere that the actual snorkel
was a good thing to change as well , thats the bit i didnt know if it had to come from an 1100 or an 1150gs , maybe they are the same too ..
ill do the mod as its winter it will be a while till i pass verdict , but its too good not to try ,,, many thanks

Don't worry about changing the snorkel just yet.

Your biggest problem at the moment seems to finding somewhere to ride where you won't get washed off or blown off your 'S', or flooded or frozen. :) :) :)

Regards from sunny 45C Australia, where we have the choice of being fried, bush-fired, or flooded. :mrgreen:

John C.

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 pm

45 degrees ,,, seriously ,,, its still 4.5 degrees here ,, as you mentioned , floods and freezes are the norm , a move to warmer climes does look so tempting , im sure im not the only one ,
i will let you know how it all goes ,,, in a month or two ,,

Skippy

Re: GS intake runners fitted to my 1100S: WOW !!! Pics added.

Postby Skippy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:46 pm

Sorry about being 7 years behind on this :D I'm a bit slow in coming forward :D.
Want to try this..are these what I need.. how to I attach!??
And secondly..
Is there a thread still available for the how to.photo guides.??
Attachments
Screenshot_20200804-204032_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20200804-204032_eBay.jpg (559.56 KiB) Viewed 5626 times

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:33 am

Skippy
Yes those are what you need, can't help with the install pics.
But, if you need an A,B,C of how to fit them, other than a workshop manual, you either shouldn't be attempting it or go find a friendly mechanic to do it for a few quid. Its just changing the intake tubes from the airbox to the TB's.
Also bear in mind all it does is to move the torque band of the 11S to lower revs and what you gain at the bottom end, you will lose at the top end.
Nothing is for free - it is a compromise, not free extra torque.
John M

Skiddy

Re:

Postby Skiddy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:28 pm

HerrFlick wrote:
I did this conversion on my 'S' and started this thread with the results in late 2012.

I actually have before/after dyno results but I'm loathe to publish them after the many naysayer opinions already posted here.

Read the whole thread which was quite interesting in a 'too good to be true' sort of way and was looking forward to seeing some actual dyno results to prove the theory, I should have read the last page first! :lol:

WasOnceBroken

Postby WasOnceBroken » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:37 am

I've purchased a set of GS tubes second hand in anticipation of performing this mod and being the photos of years yore are long gone - does anyone have some pics showing how these are actually fitted? I have dismantled my machine to the degree required - however, I just cannot see how these can be rube goldberg'd into place. Much appreciated in advance.

W.O.B.

ajuarsan

Postby ajuarsan » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:19 am

Hi guys!

I have the same problem...I tried the GS intake tubes in the dyno and the increase of torque in the medium section is noticeable, my problem is fitting them properly (big airbox hole-stretch GS tube).

Does anyone has some pics of the process?

Thank you!

Return to “Boxertech”