GS intake runners fitted to my 1100S: WOW !!! Pics added.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:20 pm

ianbcr wrote:i thought you had just mugged rolf harris for his didgeridoo nick. :roll:

Ages ago one of my boys made a didgeridoo for a class project. Used s bit of PVC choobing.

He later found a one size larger length and realised he could sleeve it on to the didgeridoo to make lower notes.

We couldn't decide if it was a Didgeribone or a Tromdoo. :mrgreen:

True. It got thrown out when I moved house last year.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:04 am

HerrFlick wrote:
Where did you get/make the El Niko emblem on the fairing?
Looks very good (as well).

Cheers mate. I bought the 'Boxertrix' stickers from the shop (blue button, up on the right) on here. And for my gold name I just bought a sheet of lettering from a model and hobbies shop. Was only a few pence. :wink:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:11 pm

el-nicko wrote:
HerrFlick wrote:

And for my gold name I just bought a sheet of lettering from a model and hobbies shop. Was only a few pence. :wink:

Thanks El Nicko.

It's the letter style in which I'm most interested: at first glance it looks identical to the running font used by Porsche eg: 'Carrera S' and so on, and which Porsche fiercly protects.

Any recollection of the name of the hobby shop?

Cheers

HerrFlick.

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:33 pm

el-nicko wrote:Well I'll give it a try. I've just bin down to B&Q an bort 2 metres of 50mm dia black plastic pipe for £6.20 so i recon i'm gud to go. :lol: :lol: :lol:

El Nicko - at the risk of popping your balloon - that choob looks suspiciously like 50mm ID. }:-O More than hapy to be proved wrong (go on - beat me - dominate me - make me write bad cheques :)

The GS choobs are 48mm ID from my #!!!%* memory, so if you use the GS length but with a larger dia you'll prob'y find the torque peak occurring at a few hundred higher rpm. Alternatively - you could lengthen your choobs by 25mm or so to lower the peak torque rpm.

Either way you'll notice a definite improvement over stock.

Busting to hear your results.

:bounce:

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:29 pm

OH NO! If yor rite iv wasted £6.20 :!: Still, a slit along its length will bring it in. Havnt fitted em yet. A bigger problem is how im going to put a curve in em. :? Also id like to put some of that thin sponge in front of the air-filter but I cant find any. :cry: Anybody know where i can get sum?

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:34 pm

HerrFlick wrote:
el-nicko wrote:
HerrFlick wrote:

And for my gold name I just bought a sheet of lettering from a model and hobbies shop. Was only a few pence. :wink:

Thanks El Nicko.

It's the letter style in which I'm most interested: at first glance it looks identical to the running font used by Porsche eg: 'Carrera S' and so on, and which Porsche fiercly protects.

Any recollection of the name of the hobby shop?

Cheers

HerrFlick.

Sorry mate; I can't help. It was some time ago and the shop's shut down now. :cry:
Nick.

chris r

Postby chris r » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:04 pm

I did start to go through this thread to see if my question was already answered, but I couldn't see anything, I was skimming through mind you.

Anyway, my question would be. I've recently had new throttle bodies fitted with the carb balancing done. If I did this mod would they have to be balanced again? I imagine they will so I guess I should just invest in a Twinmax regardless?

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 pm

chris r wrote:I did start to go through this thread to see if my question was already answered, but I couldn't see anything, I was skimming through mind you.

Anyway, my question would be. I've recently had new throttle bodies fitted with the carb balancing done. If I did this mod would they have to be balanced again? I imagine they will so I guess I should just invest in a Twinmax regardless?

No Chris. Not at all.

One part of the balancing is to synchronise the opening of the throttle body butterflys - a purely throttle stop and cable adjustment, while the other is to adjust the airflows around each buterfly at idle - done by the brass airscrews.

I had done all that on my bike prior to fitting the GS intake tubes. It started at the first touch of the starter and idled smoothly with GS tubes fitted. Haven't had to touch anything since.

I made a water manometer instead of buying a Twinmax, but a Twinmax would be far more convenient if you want to spend the money.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with the GS tubes. If you follow the steps in the pics I've posted you shouldn't have any problems.

Cheers

John C.

chris r

Postby chris r » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Cool. I've got a pair on the way. Lets see what happens :D

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:48 am

chris r wrote:Cool. I've got a pair on the way. Lets see what happens :D

There'll soon be another BELIEVER !!! mwahhh haaa harrr :twisted:

btw -where are you located Chris?

SAS Tom

Postby SAS Tom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:58 am

Have you managed to get the before and after dyno charts yet?

chris r

Postby chris r » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 am

HerrFlick wrote:
chris r wrote:Cool. I've got a pair on the way. Lets see what happens :D

There'll soon be another BELIEVER !!! mwahhh haaa harrr :twisted:

btw -where are you located Chris?

Just outside Watford for my sins.

chris r

Postby chris r » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:12 pm

Ok, I fitted the GS tubes today. Haven't taken it out as yet, but I did start the bike up as it had been sat idle for a week or so, just to make sure the battery was still ok.

That was all fine, but what I did notice is that one side of the exhaust "pulses" (if you know what I mean) slightly stronger than the other. What that means is that if I hold my hand in front of the end can, of the 2 exhaust outlets one side feels stronger on my hand than the other when the bike is ticking over/at low revs.

It may have done this before & I just never realised/worried about it. I just want to be sure this is normal before I take the bike out as I'm a bit paranoid I've messed something up/missed something when putting the throttle bodies back on the bike.

One thing I did notice when fitting was that a 1" or so rubber "o" ring, flopped on the the floor when I removed the rubber manifold from the header, and I can't find anything in the Haynes of the fische that shows one should be there!?!?! :shock:

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Don't worry about the exhaust, if you look underneath at the rear box you will see why it does that. The second outlet is really for looks.

The only O ring you should have come across is the one that fits around the throttle body. It can be a bitch to slide the tube back over that O ring. I used plenty of WD40

I would suggest to anyone trying this. BEFORE messing about with the tubes (they will go in and out a few times before you are happy with the fit) carefully remove the rubber O ring around the throttle body so you don't damage it. Then on final fitment put the rubber O rings back on. Really you should use new ones, as old O rings always seem to be too big LOL. Anyway if you spray the end of your throttle body and the inside of the induct runner with WD40 it will help it slide back on, however the O ring will probably appear to be too big and keep trying to pop out. Use a small flat end screwdriver or similar tool to just keep pushing it back under the runner and back into it's slot, it will go back if you dont rush and take your time.
There are only two things in life that are "Priceless"
Time & Health
Everything else can be bought or stolen.

chris r

Postby chris r » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:07 pm

There is an o ring on the throttle body that connects with the intake tube, so no idea where this rogue one came from.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest about the exhaust. If I finish up down the allotment early, the road awaits!!

Return to “Boxertech”