Handling

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:24 am

Looks to me like those bushes are keeping the rear wheel in line. Or not, as the case may be!

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:38 am

I may be wrong but I think if they're too tight the steering angle is not consistent as they're binding and holding the rear at varying heights which alters the steering angle. Maybe :)

I guess that as they heat up it just gets tighter exacerbating the problem hence why a teeny free play cold is desirable ..... maybe.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:43 am

oyster wrote:This is interesting. I changed my bearings for the bronze bushes recently. I adjusted the pin as accurately as I could, then did not ride the bike for a while. When I later began riding, I thought the poor handling was down to me having forgotten how to ride, the tyre pressures or the 'new' Maxxis tyres. Tyre pressures were re-checked and more miles ridden in the hope my learning would catch up. A chat with a pal who had also recently replaced those bearings with OE reminded me to check the play. Released the pin and carefully reset the play. Instant driveability again. I suddenly could ride again. Or, more likely, those bearings have now bedded in and the end float is just right. The bike felt as though it had to be ridden upright, any more than a slight lean it seemed to fall. Now it has the usual easy, neutral feel, taking lean without any inflection, from one side right over to the other.

That's the exact feeling mine was giving, a sort of nervousness if lent over slightly
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:27 am

slparry wrote:I may be wrong but I think if they're too tight the steering angle is not consistent as they're binding and holding the rear at varying heights which alters the steering angle. Maybe :)

I guess that as they heat up it just gets tighter exacerbating the problem hence why a teeny free play cold is desirable ..... maybe.

Are they eccentric?

How are they lub'd?

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:28 pm

Corvus wrote:
slparry wrote:I may be wrong but I think if they're too tight the steering angle is not consistent as they're binding and holding the rear at varying heights which alters the steering angle. Maybe :)

Are they eccentric?

How are they lub'd?

tapered bearings, greased I believe :)
--
Steve Parry

oyster

Postby oyster » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:13 pm

And that is another thing; when my pal took the back end apart on his bike, the splined drive shaft was seized (had to be replaced) and all the bearings - swing arm and paralever were dry, hence he replaced the paralever bearings. When I was reading up on the Peclican site, it would appear that the BMW assembly line did not include a greaser, so many comments on dry drive shafts and not much better for the bearings.
Last edited by oyster on Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:14 pm

slparry wrote:
Corvus wrote:

Are they eccentric?

How are they lub'd?

tapered bearings, greased I believe :)

Ah. Now I see what you mean. If slack, the wheel can go out of alignment in any plane. Plus they'll take over tightening preload abuse.

madshep

Re:

Postby madshep » Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 pm

slparry wrote:As a heads up guys I've fixed it. The paralever bearing was a gnats whisker too tight, backed it off a bit so there's a whisper of detectable play there and normal loony tunes is resumed :) .. phew I was worried it was going to get expensive or summat :)

As a newbie, can someone please explain how I can do this / check it etc.

Many thanks

Return to “Boxertech”