R1100S - Why so much buffeting...?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BoxerTastic

R1100S - Why so much buffeting...?

Postby BoxerTastic » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:20 am

The buffeting/wind noise along the RHS of my crash helmet when traveling at 50+ on my R1100S is crazy - never suffered anything like it before, even on the old R1.

I'm 6'1 and the screen is standard issue BMW - anyone suffered(ing) the same issue? Time for a double-bubble thingy... never needed one before, so not sure if they work?

:?

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:39 am

Get a 'Vario' screen, with adjustable aerofoil. They transform the bike.
Fucked Off!

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:55 am

Mmmm, I'm the same height, but yet when I climbed on mine, standard screen, I thought it was one of the quietest, least buffeting bikes I'd ever been on,
Checked your helmet for lose side plates or vents :?: I had an annoying buzz I eventually traced to a slightly loose rear vent :idea:

We all sit slightly differently I suppose, that's bound to make a difference too.
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 pm

I think it has much to do with the Helmet.

With my BMW System 6 and the standard screen, I have no buffeting at all.
However, I have got much more wind pressure than I had with my good old K100RS. Above 70MPH, my helmet screen closes itself alone.

The only time I have buffeting is on the speedway with my wife as passenger. (Luckily), I often ride alone. :D
R1100S / VIN ZA82517 : Image

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm 6ft and apart from lying on the tank on track days and the 'ring I pretty much sit up high everywhere.
The standard screen doesn't deflect anything higher than mid chest but I have no buffetting.
I would suggest looking at your crash helmet to find the cause.
I use an Arai and a Schuberth flip front which is a bit noisier than the Arai but both are ok with and without ear plugs.
John M

johnny 5

Postby johnny 5 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:05 pm

I`ve just fitted a Powerbronze Double Bubble today, and just been out for a 10min blast :D there is a substantial difference...
Ktm 1290 sas
Norden 901
R1200s black

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:54 pm

I think it depends on how/where you sit on the bike as well. I'm 5'7" and the standard screen buffeted do much it gave me double vision. My head would continue vibrating for minutes after i got off. I changed it for a touring version and although it threw the air directly at my face there was no buffeting at all. I tried the vario and it had the same effect as the standard screen. It's weirdness. Unfortunately it's just a case of trying them in succession until you find one that works.
Last edited by f90x on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoxerTastic

Postby BoxerTastic » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:29 am

f90x wrote:I think it depends on how/where you sit on the bike as well. I'm 5'7" and the standard screen buffeted do much it gave me double vision. My head would continue vibrating for minutes after i got off. I changed it for a touring version and although it through the air directly at my face there was no buffeting at all. I tried the vario and it had the same effect as the standard screen. It's weirdness. Unfortunately it's just a case of trying them in succession until you find one that works.

This is EXACTLY how I feel, even after a 15 minute ride, my head feels as if I've just downed 2 pints of Scrumpy Jack, double-quick - honestly, it's that bad!

My helmet is new - a Shark S600 and whilst I'm a fan of the brand, reading the comments above, I can't help feeling that therein lies the problem. I'll try a different lid and see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies everyone - really helpful.

oyster

Postby oyster » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:39 am

I am that height; Shoei helmet and standard screen, bars on top of yoke, no buffeting. I did, later, choose the taller MRA screen to hide behind for European tours. One of the best bikes I have ridden, aerodynamically speaking, it tolerates the vicious cross winds on Thanet with little complaint.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

johnny 5

Postby johnny 5 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:17 pm

I fitted the double bubble cos 95% of the time I`ve got the missus on the back which stops me from getting that bit lower to the tank. Not that made any difference with the original screen on ... I have an Aria Rx7gp and its NOISY as hell !!!
Ktm 1290 sas
Norden 901
R1200s black

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:56 pm

BoxerTastic wrote:
f90x wrote:I think it depends on how/where you sit on the bike as well. I'm 5'7" and the standard screen buffeted do much it gave me double vision. My head would continue vibrating for minutes after i got off. I changed it for a touring version and although it through the air directly at my face there was no buffeting at all. I tried the vario and it had the same effect as the standard screen. It's weirdness. Unfortunately it's just a case of trying them in succession until you find one that works.

This is EXACTLY how I feel, even after a 15 minute ride, my head feels as if I've just downed 2 pints of Scrumpy Jack, double-quick - honestly, it's that bad!

My helmet is new - a Shark S600 and whilst I'm a fan of the brand, reading the comments above, I can't help feeling that therein lies the problem. I'll try a different lid and see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies everyone - really helpful.

Subsequent to installing the touring screen I then added comfort bars and then Barbacks on top of that and I never had a problem.

R-man

Postby R-man » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Different approach...experiment at virtually no cost.

I'm 5' 8" in old money (about 1.75m) and have for many 000's of miles suffered buffeting whenever I drop my head a little. have a built-up seat and taller rear suspension, though.
Since raising standrad handlebars over the yoke, its different but still there.

Tried a longer screen that raked back further...different but not better.

Hmm - picked up a tatty s/h screen for £5; took hacksaw to it, removed top 40mm (very scientific) and hey presto -quiet air around the helmet (oo-err don't quote me, missus!)
OK puts more pressure on head at higher speeds that I rarely do (Officer) but well worth it. Next year I'm going to cut my 'good screen' down initially by 30mm.
R1100S current
K1200RS (2005-07) Autobahn-stormer
V-Strom (2004-05)
VFR800 (2003-04)
-in the 70s & 80s there were lots more...

BoxerTastic

Postby BoxerTastic » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:18 am

R-man wrote:Different approach...experiment at virtually no cost.

Hmm - picked up a tatty s/h screen for £5; took hacksaw to it, removed top 40mm (very scientific) and hey presto -quiet air around the helmet (oo-err don't quote me, missus!)
OK puts more pressure on head at higher speeds that I rarely do (Officer) but well worth it. Next year I'm going to cut my 'good screen' down initially by 30mm.

:o

I guess it proves what a lottery the buffeting issue is to resolve.

I've never suffered before - R1, Bandit, Streetfighter's, 955i, Speed Triple, the list goes on... but the issue on the 1100s is crazy bad - my head feels like I've gone 10 rounds with Lennox Lewis after a ride round the block!

popsky

Postby popsky » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:37 am

I've not ridden an 11 but I had mild buffeting on my 12s and fitted the MRA vario screen, it's adjustable and stopped the turbulence. I've recommended to other Trixters with I believe great success.

Here's the 11s variant
http://www.mraonline.nl/contents/en-uk/p10396.html
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Return to “Boxertech”