Nothing like jumping in at the deep end. With Questions ?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

strommer

Nothing like jumping in at the deep end. With Questions ?

Postby strommer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:28 am

Hi all,

In the last couple days. I bought a 40,000 km, 2001 1100s and it does look like it is good nick. The ad sounded good any way. Full Remus exhaust with matching chip, wide rear wheel, carbon fibre front mudguard. Buying bikes unseen is a bit of a gamble. Had mate look at it and said the bike was very clean an straight.

Image[/url]

I knew it needed things like new tyres and registration. After unloading the S off the truck. First impressions are it does look clean and the Remus sounds great.

Having a talk to the owner about maintenance other than washing the bike. I don't think much has been done in the last 20,000 km. All brake pads are almost down to bare metal. The stock paper air cleaner was stuffed. The fuel filter has never been changed. Front fork seal is leaking. Spark plugs rusted into place.

Thought to self how hard is it to replace a fork seal and fuel filter ? an other general maintenance stuff.

Image[/url]

Simple answer. it is a crap job in changing the fuel filter. At least it some thing that is one done once or maybe twice.

Image[/url]

The left fork seal was dribbling oil. Not too hard. Whip the old one out and replace it with a new one. Wrong. The new one from the BM dealer leaked far worse than the old. First thought. Did I put it in upside down ? five goes and three fork seals later. These fork seals where unbranded and I think they where after market seals causing the problem.

So that done. Move onto the other maintenance stuff. Move stock handlebars above the triple clamps. Change engine oil and filter. Change diff oil. Wanted to change the gearbox oil. Until I found I need an Allen key of what size? 15 mm.

Image[/url]

Before I changed the diff oil. I went for a first ride an thought what a lot drive line back lash. Is this normal or is there something wrong? In first gear and gently letting out the clutch. Bang from the drive line. Also does it in slow moving traffic on / off throttle, but not as loud. Changing the diff oil has quietened down the clanging a fair bit. Just need to a 2nd opinion from a friend who is a BM tech. The gear change is quite loud as well. I think the clutch needs bleeding. Where is the clutch end bleed point on the bike ?

Question about the air intake tube. Are they made of plastic? mine is made of some course fibre.

Image[/url]

Just when I think I am getting on top of it all. I adjust the rear suspension. Now when I bounce up and down on the seat the suspension squeaks really loudly. Blue spring mono shock. I guessing I am going to have to put out the mono shock and grease the bearing?

Well that was my first 24 hrs of owning a 1100S
01' BMW R1100s, 13' Kawasaki W800, 13 Skyteam ACE hotted up.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:53 am

Looks not bad, to be honest............

You may think about an aftermarket shock for the back, a Lennies induct, and K&N tubular air-filter............

....and you have gone most of the way to perfecting the bike.

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

strommer

Postby strommer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:51 am

Idles smoother now with a throttle body balance. The right one was way out. It is very docile and can tootle along at low revs without snatching. The compression lock up on the rear wheel when backing off in 2nd gear while going down hill caught be surprise.

A real Jekyll and Hyde personality.When you get up it.

nab 301

Re: Nothing like jumping in at the deep end. With Questions

Postby nab 301 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:15 pm

strommer wrote:Hi all,

The stock paper air cleaner was stuffed. Spark plugs rusted into place.
Wanted to change the gearbox oil. Until I found I need an Allen key of what size? 15 mm.

Before I changed the diff oil. I went for a first ride an thought what a lot drive line back lash. Is this normal or is there something wrong? In first gear and gently letting out the clutch. Bang from the drive line. Also does it in slow moving traffic on / off throttle, but not as loud. Changing the diff oil has quietened down the clanging a fair bit. Just need to a 2nd opinion from a friend who is a BM tech. The gear change is quite loud as well. I think the clutch needs bleeding. Where is the clutch end bleed point on the bike ?

Question about the air intake tube. Are they made of plastic? mine is made of some course fibre.

. Now when I bounce up and down on the seat the suspension squeaks really loudly. Blue spring mono shock. I guessing I am going to have to put out the mono shock and grease the bearings?

Well that was my first 24 hrs of owning a 1100S

The std air filter can clog up quickly , it can be modified .
http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... 33&start=0

I've found plug bodies can rust badly, not just on the S..
My '99 bike requires a 14mm allen key for the gearbox although I think there may be more than one type?
Car type sump plug keys can be cut down.
Drive line can be clunky as normal , second opinion can help.
Changing Clutch fluid is covered here . Pipe is cabletied to the swingarm.
http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... ed&start=0
The primary air intake tube is made of a coarse material , and the last bit that enters the airbox is plastic,
Squeaking suspension is generally the paralever bearings joining the bevel box to the swingarm. There are no bearings that I'm aware of in the shock absorber.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

R-man

Postby R-man » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Nice clean bike.

Agree with Nab301 - the squeeking noise is most likely to be Paralever (caged needle roller) bearings, just forward of the bevel final drive.
Read carefully the many posts here on Boxertrix, and so long as you support the parts carefully (to keep em lined up and not damage the bearings) they are not such a tough job.

p.s. There is a bonded rubber bush in the bottom pivot of the rear shock, and that never squeeks...

For all the little hassles, they are still great bikes to ride
R1100S current
K1200RS (2005-07) Autobahn-stormer
V-Strom (2004-05)
VFR800 (2003-04)
-in the 70s & 80s there were lots more...

strommer

Postby strommer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:07 am

Thanks for the replies. Air heads, I can pull apart in my sleep. This is a different kettle of fish. The squeak is coming the top rear shock mount an sort of sorted that out.

I feel this bike has spent its life not outdoors, but maybe in a car port in a moist environment and lots little things have gone rusty and need pulling off and lubing up.

The S is 12 years old and has never had its Paralever bearings looked.Or has the gearbox sump plug ever been out.

Doing the usual BM checks of the final drive while the bike is on the centre stand. The final drive and drive shaft feel very smooth. In first and rocking the rear wheel. There is about 25-30 mm free play, measuring on how much the rear tyre moves.

Sitting on the bike with engine off and rocking the bike back and forward. You can make the final drive at the diff end clank.

Other than that. The S is a real diamond that just needs a little TLC.

The S in real life is neater than the photo suggests.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:30 pm

It's a nice looking bike, and sounds like it has gone to a good home too.

strommer

Postby strommer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:06 am

The general maintenance things keep coming with squeaky pivot bearings. BMW shore have cornered the market on tiny tapered roller bearings :)

Spent a couple of hours on a Friday afternoon replacing the pivot bearings.

Indonesian workshop style

Fitting the new races.

All back together.

There is lots of talk about these bearings and I have to agree. The bearings are too small for the job and maybe not the right bearing for the job. Personally I think a needle roller bearing would probably last longer than a taper rollers,

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:53 am

Interesting post matey, first thoughts were bike looks reasonable, beauty of these bikes is that most things are visible and on the surface things look quite nice but there is no guarantee that things will be sweet if previous owners do not follow the maintenance regime.

Thankfully you`re well equipped to deal with these matters and there are no end of guys on here that can help you out. Hope you enjoy the bike.

What are the roads like there?

chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

strommer

Postby strommer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:16 am

boxerscott wrote:Interesting post matey, first thoughts were bike looks reasonable, beauty of these bikes is that most things are visible and on the surface things look quite nice but there is no guarantee that things will be sweet if previous owners do not follow the maintenance regime.

Thankfully you`re well equipped to deal with these matters and there are no end of guys on here that can help you out. Hope you enjoy the bike.

What are the roads like there?

chris

The bike is a gem really. It has been re chipped and it such a smooth spread of power from 2000 rpm onwards with no surging.

The roads are like Isle of Man with nobody around.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks for sharing that, our road signage for twisties depict a kneedown m/cyclist with the words "To die for?"

Looks good. What`s the bike you are on?
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

strommer

Postby strommer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 am

boxerscott wrote:Thanks for sharing that, our road signage for twisties depict a kneedown m/cyclist with the words "To die for?"

Another cult bike the W800. One the most underrated tourers of the last few years. Along another one of those to die for roads.

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 am

strommer wrote:
boxerscott wrote:Thanks for sharing that, our road signage for twisties depict a kneedown m/cyclist with the words "To die for?"

Another cult bike the W800. One the most underrated tourers of the last few years. Along another one of those to die for roads.

Short shadows with great roads and scenery....perfect.
kernow,the last bit

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:22 pm

strommer wrote:

The roads are like Isle of Man with nobody around.

They look great, but do they all have 65 KM/H speed limits ? :wink:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

strommer

Postby strommer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:26 am

Most of the corners have no signs or safety barriers at all. Visitors here, have a lot of trouble getting their head around that and don't know how fast to go.

Return to “Boxertech”