Fork Corrosion

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Fork Corrosion

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:30 pm

Just wondered what everyone's experiences were with getting BMW to fork out for new parts is? (did you see what I did there??? ;) )

My Rockster is coming up for 28,000 miles in 11 months and the finish on the fork legs is frankly shocking. :( The main parts where the paint is flaking off are the lower parts (where the calipers bolt on) and the rear part of the fork leg just above the mounting bolts. Also the rear swingarm spindle nut (on the LHS) is corroded to feck. The calipers themselves are so corroded the brakes are starting to lock up due to the pads not being able to back off from the disc fully. (That's happened to me twice in the past 2 weeks).

I rung Vines about this and they were "less than enthusiatic" about my chances of BMW paying up; quoting things like "stone chip damage" and "non-regular cleaning". I'm quite annoyed by this - especially since I repeatedly stated when purchasing the bike my intentions to do around 30,000 miles in all weathers for at least 5 years and checking that the BM was good for it.

I'm especially annoyed about the corrosion on the calipers - I've run a Tokico braked bike for some years (ZXR400) and the calipers on that are no where near as corroded as the BM's, and I've also run a Zephyr550 through repeated winters with little or no cleaning and NEVER had a brake problem (albeit thats a different system (sliding calipers) and they were shite anyway.. ;) )

So - what experiences have you had with this sort of thing? And what are my chances?
non quod, sed quomodo

Lightrunner

Postby Lightrunner » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:20 pm

I've spoken to Darren down at Vines about the same problem and I'm getting new forks and fork brace at the end of the month. I asked about the wisdom of replacing it with the same naff paint but he told me that BMW have altered the paint they use so it shouldn't be a problem.

As to the caliper issue, which I've phoned them about twice and turned up once with the calipers still smoking (I was a little upset too) they've not offered to suggest anything more useful than I strip and clean them once a month.

If there was any benefit in a mass meet at Vines to enquire about alternative options then I'll happily turn up :D

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:42 pm

Lightrunner wrote:I've spoken to Darren down at Vines about the same problem and I'm getting new forks and fork brace at the end of the month. I asked about the wisdom of replacing it with the same naff paint but he told me that BMW have altered the paint they use so it shouldn't be a problem.

As to the caliper issue, which I've phoned them about twice and turned up once with the calipers still smoking (I was a little upset too) they've not offered to suggest anything more useful than I strip and clean them once a month.

If there was any benefit in a mass meet at Vines to enquire about alternative options then I'll happily turn up :D

hmm - strip and clean once a month is NOT what I expect from a £9,500 motorcycle.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
non quod, sed quomodo

Nero

Postby Nero » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:37 pm

Ricey,

Fork brace clamp replaced twice under warranty on my old BCR, the paint blistering was beyond unacceptable. The lower legs fared a little better, BUT the front calipers seized when the pads were low which resulted in the discs being scored. Vines do all my servicing, so naturally I took it there, they were non-plussed at the disc wear, not only did they tell me that they doubted it was warranty work but they also implied that the brakes had most likely seized due to lack of cleaning (The bike's used day in day out, all weathers & usually cleaned once a fortnight). The discs were replaced & I stood my ground despite them getting their 'area engineer' to assess the damage. They reluctantly agreed that the work & discs would be FOC.

My current R1100 is suffering horrendously in condition on fork brace & lower fork parts (where calipers attach). I've yet to phone Vines & get this sorted & was going to do this when it next needs a service.

Lightrunner - Are you getting the fork legs replaced as well OR just the clamp & lower forks parts?

My rear caliper part siezed a couple of weeks ago, shortly after replacing the pads. After just a short blat (without using the rear brake) the rear disc was too hot to touch - It's now miraculously cured itself.

This is the only bike I've experienced this with & I'm fecked if I should be stripping the brakes down to clean them once a month, regular general cleaning should suffice.

If you need to reference me at Vines re the replacement of discs under warranty then PM me.

Nero
(previously Maisytooz) - password log on probs.

Lightrunner

Postby Lightrunner » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:30 am

I agree that a montly strip and clean is not what I expected when I choose BMW... it seems an odd thing to be deficient in when (for me) the bike seems so much better than other's I've had.

I have to admit I'm not entirely sure which parts are getting replaced when I take it in. The brace and fork lowers are knackered and they tried to say that the fork lowers were due to stonechips... but I pointed at bubbling on the back of the forks which hadn't yet been flaked off and they agreed. In conversation he said they'd replace the forks but he may have only meant the lowers. I'm not that hot on correct terminology (didn't know it was called the fork brace until someone else called it that). What I can say is that if it's marked it's getting replaced. I'm also getting both mirrors replaced as there's bubbling on them too.

My front discs are starting to look a little shabby after having the brakes lock on three times now in 6 months. I've been lucky that it's only happened at speeds that I can handle and in straight lines. I feel that I'm being reckless to keep pressing my luck despite the now monthly strip and clean.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:23 am

Lo Nero (Maisy)

The problem with the brakes as standard is that the pads never have the chance to "lift off" from the discs - so ALL BMW's have this issue with brake discs wearing early. On the ABS bikes it's obvious why - on the non-abs bikes it's not so obvious - but I've worked it out.

Because the non-abs bikes use the same hoses as the ABS bikes (for manufacturing ease) - they are IMPOSSIBLE to bleed properly and always retain a certain "sponginess". This means that there's less "back pressure" pulling the pads off the discs when you release the brakes.

I've never seen a BM front wheel rotate easily. :(
non quod, sed quomodo

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:22 pm

Chuck the scabby brembos in the skip and get yourselves some nice AP calipers 8)
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:27 pm

boxerpan wrote:Chuck the scabby brembos in the skip and get yourselves some nice AP calipers 8)

How long do they last in ALL weathers??

do they have a weather seal??

not interested in higher performance (the EVO brakes are very good) - but longevity and weather resistance.
non quod, sed quomodo

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:48 pm

RiceBurner wrote:
boxerpan wrote:Chuck the scabby brembos in the skip and get yourselves some nice AP calipers 8)

How long do they last in ALL weathers??

do they have a weather seal??

not interested in higher performance (the EVO brakes are very good) - but longevity and weather resistance.

Nah mate - for racing use only :roll:
You want a modern motorcycle for use in all weathers ?????? You avin a giraffe mate :shock:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear

bright until you hear them speak.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:51 pm

RiceBurner wrote:I've never seen a BM front wheel rotate easily. :(

Mine does - and the bike has done nearly 115k now on the same calipers. I just wash it every weekend and occasionalyl spray brake cleaner on them when the pads are out. They are the Brembro ABS ones on a 2000 bike. The wheel rotates nice and free - it's probably cos the brakes don't work that well any more though, and the abs has been out of action for a while too :!:

Jason

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:01 pm

Jason M wrote:

Mine does

Ditto - although this is with the pre-Evo brakes. My 11R's front wheel spun freely aswell.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:43 pm

Gromit wrote:
Jason M wrote:

Mine does

Ditto - although this is with the pre-Evo brakes. My 11R's front wheel spun freely aswell.

Ditto 2 - 2000 brembos

Methinks Evo might not be quite the right name for a step backwards in technology :?

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:36 pm

FYI....all calipers will do that with enough salt/road grime on them.....it's all about prevention.I've seen exactly the same thing happen on a 929Fireplace....front brake stuck on and smoke coming out the caliper!And on a revere too!
It's something you should be very aware of....not a design fault..just happens sometimes :roll:
It never happened on my Evo Brembos on my 2001 model....123'000 miles.
Bailey.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:13 am

adamski49 wrote:Methinks Evo might not be quite the right name for a step backwards in technology :?

Adam

The mistake you're making is assuming "Evo" is short for "evolution", when clearly it's an abbreviation of EVO-stick :wink:

Glad I was able to clear that up for you.

Paul 8)
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:04 am

My 2002 model has Bmw badged calipers, but the back of them is marked Brembo. Can anyone tell me if these are the better or worse type, I have to say I've had no probs with them, but then they never see a wet day.
Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Return to “Boxertech”