Givi rear rack. 2003 R1100s.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Trumpetdude

Givi rear rack. 2003 R1100s.

Postby Trumpetdude » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:32 pm

So, is there a special night class required to fit the arms? I swear the instructions are guff and I'm not bad with a spanner but come On!

Anyone got priors with the fitting kit?

Ta!
Parping my way along... Actually yes, I do blow my own trumpet.

Motocod

Postby Motocod » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:22 pm

Funnily enough I've just ordered a set, so will let you know how I go. I looked at the pdf instructions (I know, goes against the man code) and they didn't look great, so I'm expecting it to be a tad tricky...

Nik

Al

Postby Al » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:14 pm

I have fitted said rack to my 1100, the accuracy of the rack fittings and the corresponding points on the bike leave a bit to be desired and a bit of tweaking is needed. I used tywraps to hold it in place and had to open up a couple of the holes to aid the fitting of the bolts.
I also sprayed the silver half round bit black to match the arms. Whatever you do though it is still ugly, but there is not a lot of other choice.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Trumpetdude

Postby Trumpetdude » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:02 pm

Cheers Chaps. The rear fixing is definitely a pain. I'll have another go tomorrow when I'm in less of rush. Like the idea of spraying the silver part black.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:57 am

Photos please when fitted. I seem to recall the Givi rack being fugly but it would serve me better using a top box most of the time (although I have the VFR for work which has a rack on it)
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Al

Postby Al » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 pm

Dave, it is fugly, but not a lot of options. I have a cheapo box on mine off ebay and it is an almost perfect colour match to the bike, and it makes my wife feel more secure when she is on the back.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Trumpetdude

Postby Trumpetdude » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 pm

Done! Forgot to take pictures as it ended up being a right pain in the hoop. Instructions and are best a cursory suggestion at the general procedure of construction to be undertaken.

There was some minor fettling involved too.

The holes that were in the to vertical plates needed widening from 8mm to 9mm and then I found the left was actually short he about 3mm so I had to elongate the hole again. The forward bolt spacer is only needed if you don't have the pannier arms and as for the instructions for fitting the MM plate (that fitted my box) they were printed with invisible ink on invisible paper.

I'll a few pics up tomorrow. I'm to recheck all the bolts after a 130 mile shake down today. It may be ugly but it's definitely handier than the two side panniers for easy access.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:11 am

I've seen images of the rack not fitted to the bike - it isn't expensive and I think I might have a spare top plate so for not a lot of money I could increase my load capacity for those European trips plus I've just bought a new Givi box for the Honda and it means I can get rid of my tank bag - anyone want to buy a Famsa tank bag, hardly used?
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Trumpetdude

Postby Trumpetdude » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Got the rack so I wouldn't need a tank bag :), also got a tail pack if really stuck. It's a pretty fine set up once on, already finding it really handy. Just make sure you have the right place for your box!

Motocod

Postby Motocod » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:39 am

Just out of interest, you said you had to open up various holes - did you have to drill them out, or did you do it with a file? I'm just mentally gearing myself up to it!

Does the job require removal of any bodywork?

cheers,

Nik

JoeyDeacon

Postby JoeyDeacon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:29 pm

I've just ordered one of these and if it's anything like the one that I fitted to my old Bandit then I'm prepared for mucho swearing.
Everything on the internet is a lie.

Trumpetdude

Postby Trumpetdude » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:57 am

Motocod wrote:Just out of interest, you said you had to open up various holes - did you have to drill them out, or did you do it with a file? I'm just mentally gearing myself up to it!

Does the job require removal of any bodywork?

cheers,

Nik

Hey Nick,
The hanging brackets are reasonably sturdy so I opened them out with a 9mm (I think!?) drill bit. The left hand side was particularly bad so I had to elongate the back of the hole quite a bit to bring it forward.

Also, painted the silvers parts black, looks a lot nicer!

Motocod

Postby Motocod » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:33 am

Just got home from a work trip to find a huge cardboard box with Givi written on the side in the hallway. So that's my sunday taken care of! Can't do it Saturday, I have a 2hr test ride booked on a new GS... :)

Motocod

Postby Motocod » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:06 pm

I found this online, in case it's any use - instructions for fitting the rack part to the arms, which weren't included with mine either.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/eggchaser/ ... s-givi.htm

I've attached the silver cast parts, and I'll have a look at fitting it all tomorrow.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:29 pm

That's the same box as I have - the rack isn't too expensive and it would mean I could use both bikes for work (I hate using a rucksack!). As mentioned above, not a lot of options - can I make my bike ugly tho?
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Return to “Boxertech”