24000 mile (pound! FFS!) question.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Trumpetdude

24000 mile (pound! FFS!) question.

Postby Trumpetdude » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:13 pm

So, the thought of paying a quarter of what I paid for my entire bike in services is weighing on my mind. Currently commuting East Lothian to Glasgow six times a week and by Saturday night that magic number will be glowing on my speedo. So...

How robust are these alt belts? I've another two weeks of the same commute (6 return journeys). The bike had a wee interim upon purchase at 20k so I'm not concerned about the regular fluid and filters. Also, Motorad out in Dalkeith are chocca for Sept, so even if I did want to sploosh the cash out it'd be a wait.

You may be asking, why bother with a costly BMW service? Well, it's got all the stamps so far and if it has the biggy then it should be easier to sell on, shouldn't it? Planning to use it for work in Wolverhampton (and some Welsh blasts) so the mileage is going to go up and up.

Any thoughts? Any properly trusted BMW competent bike garages in the Scottish central belt area?

I'm loathed to go back to the car as I'm usually travelling West through rush hour and really enjoy not paying for parking.

Input grateley appreciated!
Parping my way along... Actually yes, I do blow my own trumpet.

nab 301

Re: 24000 mile (pound! FFS!) question.

Postby nab 301 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:40 pm

Trumpetdude wrote:
How robust are these alt belts? I've another two weeks of the same commute (6 return journeys). !

Alternator belt should last over 30 k miles (scheduled @60 k km's)
Easy enough to check /change them unless the cover bolts are corroded.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Wot he sed
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Trumpetdude

Postby Trumpetdude » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Sweet, I'll eyeball it at the weekend. Ta!

Leytonman

Alternator belts

Postby Leytonman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:17 pm

I changed my first belt after the recommended number of miles. However last time I decided to just leave the belt to see what happened. After loads more miles than the recommended change interval it started to squeak a bit, indicating it was slipping. So I changed it. The bike has covered 114k with 2 belt changes.
Hooperman
R1100S - 1 gearbox, 2 clutches, 1 replacement engine > 124k
Panther outfit
and of course a Bantam

Trumpetdude

Postby Trumpetdude » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:11 am

Superb news that. Been having a good old natter with Motorrad (East Kilbride) recently and they said it should be fine, I'm doing about 700 miles a week just now so I was just being a bit cautious. They did put me on to to something else though. I've signed up to the BMW club (£27 per year) and there's discounts etc, but... New offer from Oct 1st, 20/20... 20% off parts and labour! I just need to wait until October 1st and that 24k service isn't going to hurt as much!, and, I'll get something to play with for a day or so.

Check out the club, it looks quite good!

Tapio

Postby Tapio » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:20 pm

I changed my alt. Belt @6000 km, as of BMW recommendations. It was way beyond expriration date. Some rubber torn off from the belt, but it was still functioning flawlessly.
So i wouldn't worry about exceeding the BMW recommendation a bit.

Anyway: there's two ways to change the alternator belt: 1st takes about 30 min, and the 2nd BMW recommended takes all day.

1st: take off the plastic cover. Loosen all three screws and nuts holding the alternator. Change belt. Stick a crow bar in between the motor and the alternator. Tighten all alternator screws and nuts while holding the belt tensioned with your crow bar. Put back the plastic cover. Done.

This isn't rocket science.
I'm sure even my mother could do this, while taking a short break from her knitting...

P.S a bonus, you beeing into horns: since my this years trip went to the balkans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6lp9iI3UJs
R1100S '04
K100RS '90
GSX1100 (1327cc) '81
Lada Niva '12
CCDV '72

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Tapio wrote:Anyway: there's two ways to change the alternator belt: 1st takes about 30 min, and the 2nd BMW recommended takes all day.

There's actually three ways to change the belt :lol:
Remove the cover , and the spark plugs , cut off the old belt ( if it hasn't failed) and wind on the new belt by turning the engine... doesn't seem to reduce belt life :wink:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Trumpetdude

Postby Trumpetdude » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:19 pm

Cheers Guys, (and I'll get to that YouTube link on WiFi). I've no problem with getting into the bike but due to time constraints (and having a bit of cash for once!) I've decided to leave the servicing up to bmw for a change. I'm a bit done with hours on my knees and only cuts and bruises to show for it (insert jokes (Ahem!) here!)...

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:47 am

alternator belts go on forever ,,, nice thing is that if they do let go , its not the end of the earth , not like a cam belt ,
i personally wouldnt go down the just cut it off and turn the new one on , because ,,
and as long as theres a reason its worth thinking about

if the last belt had worn a bit , and been adjusted a couple of times , when you wind on the new belt it will now be too tight , the belt will survive , but the alternator nose bearings wont like it.
yes i know bearings are steel , and belts are rubber ,, but its the heat that an overloaded bearing produces that does the harm.
just my thoughts
fot the ten mins it takes ,, do it properly.
i tend not to advise anyone to tension with a crobar unless they have a good ,, feel ,, for things either , same reason.
hth
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

Return to “Boxertech”