Fast flashing rear indicators

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BoxercupDave

Fast flashing rear indicators

Postby BoxercupDave » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Since acquiring the 1100S, the rear LED indicators fitted flashed fast, so, I purchased and fitted normal bulb type indicator units, but these came with 12v 10W bulbs. I removed the 12v 21W indicator bulbs from my Suzuki Bandit and tried them in the new indicator units and the indicators flashed normally, but the Bandit bulbs were too large to be able to refit the indicator lenses, so I then purchased smaller 12v 21W bulbs off ebay.
They arrived, and I fitted them and they fit the unit, but they still flash fast...what is going on?
I have contacted the seller and informed him that the bulbs are not 21W, even though they have 12v 21W stamped on them, am I missing something here?

bikerboy

Postby bikerboy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Ebay-probable inferior chinese rubbish

BoxercupDave

Postby BoxercupDave » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:56 pm

bikerboy wrote:Ebay-probable inferior chinese rubbish

Probably... :x
I am apparently getting a new set sent from the seller..... probably another inferior set!!!

I could only find one seller who caters for the small 12v 21W bulbs...unless anyone knows different?

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:36 pm

Maybe you still have the inline resistors fitted that the led blinkers required?

Trace the wiring back and check that there is nothing fitted that was not original.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

BoxercupDave

Postby BoxercupDave » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Boxered wrote:Maybe you still have the inline resistors fitted that the led blinkers required?

Trace the wiring back and check that there is nothing fitted that was not original.

Steve

Now theres an idea.... if I have the resistors fitted but 12v 21W lamps in... would it flash fast?

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:37 am

BoxercupDave wrote:
Boxered wrote:Maybe you still have the inline resistors fitted that the led blinkers required?

Steve

Now theres an idea.... if I have the resistors fitted but 12v 21W lamps in... would it flash fast?

I may have read this all wrong but if it had resistors fitted surely the LED indicators that were fitted wouldn't have flashed fast in the first place. However, I can't think of a reason for the standard bulbs to flash fast unless another one has failed somewhere.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Groceryrun

Postby Groceryrun » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Both right front and right rear turn indicators work together.
Both left front and left rear turn indicators work together.

If you still have an LED in the front, it might still cause a fast blink even though you've changed the rear to an incandescent.

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:23 pm

you could chuck something like this on

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/dual-l ... 1961-p.asp

should work with any combination of resistors/bulbs fitted, fitted one on a Daytona a while back to cure Led problems, worked a treat

Steve

BoxercupDave

Postby BoxercupDave » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:13 pm

Hayden wrote:you could chuck something like this on

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/dual-l ... 1961-p.asp

should work with any combination of resistors/bulbs fitted, fitted one on a Daytona a while back to cure Led problems, worked a treat

Steve

Considering thanks...but it almost doubles in price with postage!

BoxercupDave

Postby BoxercupDave » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:17 pm

f90x wrote:
BoxercupDave wrote:

Steve

I may have read this all wrong but if it had resistors fitted surely the LED indicators that were fitted wouldn't have flashed fast in the first place. However, I can't think of a reason for the standard bulbs to flash fast unless another one has failed somewhere.

One of the reasons why I wanted to change the indicators from the LEDs was because sometimes the flash rate was fast and sometimes normal. When I rode the bike away from the sellers house the indicators were flashing fast, so this was happening right from when I picked it up.
I have checked...and all four indicators flash fast, unless the four way flashers are switched on, and then they flash at normal speed, no matter what bulbs I have fitted.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Dodgy connection fooling system into thinking there's a bulb out? Appologies if this has been suggested
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

BoxercupDave

Postby BoxercupDave » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:38 pm

dave the german wrote:Dodgy connection fooling system into thinking there's a bulb out? Appologies if this has been suggested

Well... I am flumaxed, you may be right Dave, because, I have spent £39 changing the relay, changed my rear bulbs to 21W items, checked the cabling for anything connected inline, and still my indicators flash fast.

The only thing it can be is a dodgy connection....

It looks like a trip to the BMW shop, which I was trying to avoid because of the cost. :(

BoxercupDave

Postby BoxercupDave » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:28 pm

After a couple of weekends stripping the fairing off and changing the indicator relay, checking and re-soldering any loose connections I suspected, I still have fast indicators!
So bloody annoying! :(

Return to “Boxertech”