R1100S Retro Fit Heated Grips

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

jeznewsome

R1100S Retro Fit Heated Grips

Postby jeznewsome » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:46 am

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything.....

Is retro fitting BMW heated grips, to a Non ABS, 2000 MY R1100S (currently with switchable headlight, but would be happy if it wasn't) possible?

What bits are required apart from the grips and RH switches ...... additional wiring, fuses, relays?

Or do I just need to MTFU!

Al

Postby Al » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:43 am

You could try heated gloves, costs about the same probably, with gloves your whole hand is heated not just the palms and you can use them on any other bikes you have. Or as you say MTFU :lol:

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:33 am

When I ordered my non ABS bike, I wanted the heated grips and was told that I had to have the uprated alternator as well.
You may find that if you don't have the higher output alternator, you may drain the battery if you use all the electric stuff at the same time - worth checking.
John M

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:26 pm

It also depends if it's in the wiring loom. On the GS even the non-heated grips models had the wiring loom ready for it but I doubt that's the case for the S.
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Retro fitting at the dealers a while back was going to cost over £300 - that was without the larger output alternator but the dealer reckoned it wasn't really necessary as you wouldn't be using them without the engine running so shouldn't have any probs with battery drain (their words not mine). Ring Darren at Motorworks - he should be able to give you sound advice. Bikes fitted with heated grips came with the larger output alternator and bigger battery. If you get any info please post as I'm still thinking of going ahead with them. I would think the harness will have the necessary connectors - at least it would make sense to have them
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:25 am

^^^^^^^^^^ this!

I have the same bike. Darren sent me all the bits necessary. At the time they had the heated grips and switch on discount, making it a cheap deal.
Absolutely no problem with the smaller alternator and smaller battery.
Sweet to use on those chilly days!

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:06 pm

I was looking at Motoworks site prior to posting this......now sounds like I had better give them a call to see what the damage is.

Thanks for the info that I should be able t get away with the std battery and alternator.

dave1100s

Postby dave1100s » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:33 pm

MTFU :D

Mind you, my 1150GS has 'em, and I wouldn't be without them :D
We don't stop playing because we get old.....we get old because we stop playing!

70tno

Postby 70tno » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:14 am

Last year I bought a set off ebay for £35 and they seem to be fine so far.
You need to be careful of the sizes because the throttle one needs to be 28mm ID and the clutch side 25mm ID.
I had previously bought a "standard" set which were way too small.
Only the person who risks is truly free.

Black 1100s

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:54 am

Bits purchased (mix of motorworks and ebay) for BMW retro fit.

Any advice appreciated, particularly:

- Removal/fitment of grips
- Where the Grip elements plug into the bike (somewhere under the tank I assume)

Ta

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:42 pm

jeznewsome wrote:Any advice appreciated, particularly:

- Removal/fitment of grips
- Where the Grip elements plug into the bike (somewhere under the tank I assume)

Ta

For the right grip you'll remove the whole throttle tube. You need to dismantle the switchgear, undo the throttle cable, then twist it back round until it'll come off (it only slides off in one position). The left grip is simple and can just be peeled back or cut off depending on whether you want to keep the old grip or not.

The new grips go on really simply, just make sure you feed the wires through the bar first then secure the left grip with the 2 grub screws and reattach everything on the right.

On my GS the plug for the grips was under the tank however on the S I suspect it may be in the connector box inside the right of the fairing. That's where the switchgear plugs in which you'll presumably be replacing. I think you need to lift the tank to secure the wiring properly as it loops underneath and is cable tied in place.
2000 BMW R1150GS

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:18 pm

metropolis2k wrote:For the right grip you'll remove the whole throttle tube. You need to dismantle the switchgear, undo the throttle cable, then twist it back round until it'll come off (it only slides off in one position). The left grip is simple and can just be peeled back or cut off depending on whether you want to keep the old grip or not.

The new grips go on really simply, just make sure you feed the wires through the bar first then secure the left grip with the 2 grub screws and reattach everything on the right.

On my GS the plug for the grips was under the tank however on the S I suspect it may be in the connector box inside the right of the fairing. That's where the switchgear plugs in which you'll presumably be replacing. I think you need to lift the tank to secure the wiring properly as it loops underneath and is cable tied in place.

Cool thanks. When I had a quick look I noted the wiring going under the tank but not it coming out again! Hopefully it will all be clear in daylight (and be a bit warmer!) when I hopefully get to the job at the weekend.

All the bits have arrived. Both 2nd hand grips appear to warm up nicely when 12V is applied and I just need to check the switchgear is OK before stripping the old stuff off the bike. .......looking forward to warmer hands!

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am

Please post details of the installation - still tempted to do this with BCR
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:09 pm

dave the german wrote:Please post details of the installation - still tempted to do this with BCR

So was I but my friend wouldn't let me 'spoil the originality' of it! :lol:
2000 BMW R1150GS

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:46 pm

OK having purchased, grips, RH Switch AND the Aux Loom that I didn't know I needed until I started the job I am now a little stumped......

The Aux loom has an external waterproof fuse box, which after about 30 mins of faffing (and a moment of clarity looking at the mirror image box on the LHS of the bike....doh!) I worked out where to stuff, there is also a relatively long portion of loom with the +ve and -ve terminals for attachment to the grip wires (to the heater elements).......

........ where on the bike is this connector routed to? It doesn't look sensible to put it in either of the large fuseboxes on the inside of either side of the fairing.

If there is anyone with the knowledge I would be very grateful and a full write up will follow so people don't make the same mistakes that I have.

Return to “Boxertech”