Exhaust "Y" Pipe

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

MNinnim

Exhaust "Y" Pipe

Postby MNinnim » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:42 am

Hi All,
I can't afford a complete system but I've been told that just removing the CAT can make all the difference to the bike.
I have two questions;
1) Has anyone done this?
2) Which Y piece did you use on the standard exhaust?
3) Where can I get one from?
Thanks for the help,
Mark
ps the world is made up of three types of people, those who can count and those who can't! :D

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:33 am

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:47 am

The Laser's a good pipe but for a few extra bob a Zach mid pipe's a lot better, especially if you've no plans to get noisy cans (although they'll still fit if needed). The Zach has the securing tag on the end of the pipe which bolts to the silencers, the pipe comes in 2 parts making it easier to fit and the lambda sensor fits in the same place as on the original centre box ie you don't have to fart around with lifting the fuel tank to release more cable.

Couple of the guys on here have them and seem v happy.

hth :)

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:27 am

Just been looking at the Laser site and on the tech sheet for the 1100S centre pipe it looks like the centre stand (if you've got one) has to come off :? There are two mounting brackets which look as if they pick up on the centre stand locating holes.

The Zach system looks far superior. I've just e mailed Boxer Design in Germany to see what the price would be if we bought direct from them. If they mail back I'll let you know.

Motorworks sell the Zach for £225

Meanwhile if you want to look at the Zach system have look on here:

http://www.boxer-design.de/en/index.htm

Dave. 8)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:21 pm

Darth_1100S wrote:Just been looking at the Laser site and on the tech sheet for the 1100S centre pipe it looks like the centre stand (if you've got one) has to come off :? There are two mounting brackets which look as if they pick up on the centre stand locating holes.
Dave. 8)

Dave,

You're right, the centre stand does rest against the catalytic converter box. I believe that you will have the same issue with the Zach too. You can however get a gizmo from Wunderlich which attaches to the centre stand so that it rests against the frame when the centre stand is retracted. I think I paid ITRO £12 for one from SPC, but Motorworks should sell them too.

I have the Laser mid pipe, but if I had my time and money back again, I think I'd pay the premium for the Zach. The Lambda probe looks quite vunerable on the laser and the standard of finish on the Zach seems to be better. As Richard said, you also retain the bolt which allows you to securely attach the standard cans onto the Zach, which the Laser does not have.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Che

Postby Che » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:33 pm

What if the bike already has laser end pipes fitted? Could you still use the Zach Y-piece, or is it better to go for the inferior-sounding Laser Y-piece to mate with the Laser end pipes?

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:34 pm

Che,

Either Zach or Laser (or standard) mid sections will work with the Laser cans. There's no particular advantage to using the Laser mid section over the Zach (other than it's cheaper...)

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Darth_1100S

Postby Darth_1100S » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:14 pm

Paul just had a look at the cat on my S. The Laser doesn't use the centre stand mountings as first thought, it actually uses the ones that the cat mounts onto. There would deffo be a problem with the stand hitting it tho'.

If you don't mind me asking Paul, what did you pay for the Laser mid pipe? I'd just like to know what the difference in price is between the two.

Cheer- Dave 8)

Steve W

Postby Steve W » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:11 pm

Dave

Paul & I did a deal with 'Lind' in Norfolk for 2 mid pipes at something like GBP135 each with the full price at the time being GBP150 each.

This was about a year ago I think, unfortunately 'Lind' I believe are no longer BMW bike dealers.

Steve

Darth_1100S

Postby Darth_1100S » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:14 pm

Thanks for that Steve. So the Laser is quite a bit cheaper then? Leaves me to wonder if the Zach is worth the extra £75 or so.

Dave.

wadhams

Postby wadhams » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:41 pm

I have a full Remus race system fitted and it sounds blooming wonderful. This has twin pipes all through, keeping the front and balancer pipe.

However when I was looking they did not do a Cat only replacement.

Remus quality is very good and the sound is not too loud. I paid £430 for the lot fitted.

carlk

Postby carlk » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:02 pm

wadhams wrote:I have a full Remus race system fitted and it sounds blooming wonderful. This has twin pipes all through, keeping the front and balancer pipe.

However when I was looking they did not do a Cat only replacement.

Remus quality is very good and the sound is not too loud. I paid £430 for the lot fitted.

Mee too 8)

I believe they do do one now ask motorworks for info
traffic Dodger

bernsmartco

Postby bernsmartco » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:42 am

Hi guys,
Heres the url for zach direct - looks like they do MO on the mid pipe for £185. + may be a bit more postage to the UK.
http://www.zachauspuff.de/?page=produkt&id=9

I was going to get one but spent all my spare money on a S/S nut and bolt set.

Anybody know what the MOT position is when you remove the cat.?

Keep safe, keep :D
Bern

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:03 pm

bernsmartco wrote:Anybody know what the MOT position is when you remove the cat.?
Bern

Bern,

No problem at all removing the cat. The only thing they check at the MOT is that the end cans have a CE mark on them. Mine passed the MOT last year with Laser mid pipe and cans. Knowing winks from the guys in the garage about the noise it made, but they were happy it met the letter of MOT compliance because of the CE mark on the cans.

Cheers,

Paul

Darth_1100S

Postby Darth_1100S » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:26 pm

I've just had a reply back from Boxer Design (they must work late!) The Zach Y piece including delivery to UK is 285 Euro. That in sterling is £192.56p. Now that's a bargain!

All I've got to do is Tell the wife we're not going on holiday, cancel our week in Edinburgh, Sell the dog, .......Wonder how much her car's worth..........!!!

Dave.

Return to “Boxertech”