SPITFIRE spark modifier

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

jivebiker

SPITFIRE spark modifier

Postby jivebiker » Fri May 20, 2005 8:26 pm

A few years ago I fitted "Spitfire" spark modifiers to a TRX850. These things cause the spark to become a burst of sparks, instead of a single arc. (You may have seen the demo at bike showsThe bottom end of my TRX, which had been all but unusable under 3500rpm because of harsh vibes, became smooth as silk, and I got 5mpg more.

I have just found the Spitfire units in my garage (I kept them after bending the bike rather badly on a car), and am thinking of giving them a whirl on the S.

I will need to cut the HT leads to insert them, or extend the leads at the coil end. Do the HT leads unscrew from the coils? Has anyone tried Spitfires on any Boxer?
JiVeBiKeR

Whatever happened to Cherry Jubblies?

Merecat

Postby Merecat » Sat May 21, 2005 9:16 am

Damn
That useless bottom end revs thing was the one thing which really spoiled the TDM 850. Although it was never as bad as the TRX.
I put it down to the 270 degree crank and the attempt to make the engine have the feel a V twin. It never quite worked.

Not sure what effect the spitfire would have on a boxer engine, may be interesting.
Keep us posted.

Mick
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

oyster

Postby oyster » Sat May 21, 2005 9:50 am

The HT leads are 70 cm long, interchangeable. They have a unique right angle end piece with a rubber boot that engages on a threaded stud protruding from the coil. So to remove it, just grab the boot and pull it off the coil. The plug cap is also quite unique, with three plug tunnel sealing fins on the body. Not sure why they are there, when all the road griff can get in through the vent holes at the front of the head and fill the plug tunnel with sand and muck.
I have been trying to get a performance lead maunfacturer to match them, but as it wont be a high volume sales item, have not had much luck yet.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:33 pm

I'm sure i tried them on my MZ afew yrs ago. Didn't notice any difference. I guess you just can't improve on perfection!
Nigel B

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Return to “Boxertech”