Turbocharged R1100S ?????

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

gus

Postby gus » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Gromit wrote:
gus wrote:Hi
Chris has a few german mags with all the details on a couple of mettise turbo boxers. Could get them down to you at some point if you want.
Gus

Good man, Gus. :)

Hope Chris is keeping well - please pass on my best wishes next time you see him (I mean that sincerely).

He is and I will.
Gus

gus

Postby gus » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:02 pm

beachcomber wrote:
gus wrote:Hi
Chris has a few german mags with all the details on a couple of mettise turbo boxers. Could get them down to you at some point if you want.
Gus

Gus that would be appreciated - I'm a firm believer in -"if you don't know [ not sure ] - find out" !!

I've been involved with forced induction for over 50 years [ race and road ], but my Turbo experience [ and blow through ] is very limited.

This project WILL be happening, I'm collecting the R1200 on Thursday and I'm looking at turbo specs as we speak.

I know from conversations with CC and others that you get relatively small BHP gains for lots of money with an Oilhead ! Turbo will change all that. :twisted:

The folks over at TFI [ chips ] in the US have been very helpful in developing a new package for us, and have agreed to come on board with the Turbo project ................"the Oilhead is dead, long live the Oilhead" !!!!

Cool. I will speak to chris and get down to your workshop. Been wanting to see your bikes for a while. Looking forward to see what have planned.
Don't I just know how much money/effort for what seems so little gain power wise from the hex head. No turbo or supercharger tuning allowed for our race bikes. Which I think is a good thing!!! :lol:
All the best
Gus

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:27 am

Gus,

looking forward to meeting you .............. I know you have a hectic work schedule, but weekends are usually good for me and AC. That's when we do the bulk of our "scheming" - weekdays are taken up with the boring stuff like building C Types [ replicas ] !

Give us a week or two notice if you can. The Scream is currently stripped of the bodywork while we're attending to the wiring mods.

I'm collecting the R1200 donor tomorrow - onwards and upwards.

Yes for roadwork the turbo / forced induction route is the way to go - low boost and modest gains should be in the 30-40bhp range, with more to come if required.
"if at first you don't succeed - you've already been a failure once"

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:52 pm

beachcomber wrote:I'm currently looking at the space underneath the gearbox, it will mean an additional oil return scavenge pump - but they're readily available and inexpensive.

Are you going to use an electric or mechanical pump? There's one version of electric pump which uses a plastic impellor housing and it's quite prone to failiure. I don't recall the manufacturer's name though.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:25 am

Pete. wrote:
beachcomber wrote:I'm currently looking at the space underneath the gearbox, it will mean an additional oil return scavenge pump - but they're readily available and inexpensive.

Are you going to use an electric or mechanical pump? There's one version of electric pump which uses a plastic impellor housing and it's quite prone to failiure. I don't recall the manufacturer's name though.

This will be electric, the one we are looking at is the one we use for rear diff oil cooling rads on our D and C Type race cars. In the day we also used them on the RAM / Bardahl Trophy Cobra race cars.

Very efficient and reliable. We may fit one up to an otherwise stock R1200 we've just bought.

We also have a lead on a suitable [ maybe ] Turbo unit - we'll initially get in one of the Chinese copies to ensure packaging and trim is in the ballpark and then go from there.

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:08 pm

Mind you don't over-size it. I did that with my first mechanical one and aerarted the oil pretty badly.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Pete. wrote:Mind you don't over-size it. I did that with my first mechanical one and aerarted the oil pretty badly.

Yes good point, we have all the relevant flow figures for these units - as well as 25 years experience using them.

We're happy they'll do the job. Just looking for a suitable point to route the return oil.

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:28 pm

What's your target output? Normally I'd advocate sizing the turbo so that your target is 60-70% maximum compressor flow, no sense pushing it into the choke zone and elevating intake temps unnecessarily. I'm not so sure with a lower-revving twin though. On the one hand you don't want to make boost too early what with the boxer's propensity to pink at low revs/high loads but then again you have power pulses of half the frequency of a four cylinder screamer. I think I'd start at 75% and see how it performed then take it from there.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:35 am

Pete. wrote:What's your target output? Normally I'd advocate sizing the turbo so that your target is 60-70% maximum compressor flow, no sense pushing it into the choke zone and elevating intake temps unnecessarily. I'm not so sure with a lower-revving twin though. On the one hand you don't want to make boost too early what with the boxer's propensity to pink at low revs/high loads but then again you have power pulses of half the frequency of a four cylinder screamer. I think I'd start at 75% and see how it performed then take it from there.

Thanx for your imput Pete ........ duly noted.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:18 pm

Dont mean to poop on your parade, but as you already know, a turbo produces the power higher up the rev range. Right where the engine isnt so smooth or happy. What rpm do you think the will the power kick in?
I tend to short shift, using the low down torque to get me around.
I would vote for a supercharger, but my front wheel skips off the ground enough as it is. Any more poke and i'll look like a power ranger.
All in mho, as my car has a supercharger. A more suitable tool to reflect my increasing age!
I do wish i had the expertise to try all these things though, looks like great fun. Best of luck with it.

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Where a turbo makes power depends on the wheel sizes, wheel trim and housing area/radius ratio. You can have it making boost almost right off idle or higher up the load curve. There's always a trade-off of some sort though.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:34 am

Pete / Neil yes and yes.

We are choosing the relevant data to suit the relatively lazy twin. I did the same calcs for my AlfaSud hill climber [ IHI turbo ].

That said, I grew up [ mechanically speaking ] in the 60's and Mechanical superchargers are my first love. Shorrock blown Renault R8 Gordini race car, Marshall blown / injected Renault Dauphine [ Drag car ] and ....... a 427ci blown / injected / methanol Comp Altered drag car.

Regretably packaging,weight, bulk are against a blower for this application - however my Vanguard Estate Hot Rod IS getting an Eaton M45 blower ! There's also a Rover V8 with M112 Eaton sitting on the sidelines.

7.2sec / 193mph in 1972 ......................

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:33 am

The brand new [ and cheap ! ] Turbo unit has just arrived and the system packaging looks extremely doable.

I've also come up with a couple of ideas for the new body style .............

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:49 pm

[ImageScan 34 by Phil Mitchell, on Flickr][/img]
Ahh Renaults..had a Dauphine, Gordini, 10, 16..all great cars!
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:55 am

Mitch1100 wrote:[ImageScan 34 by Phil Mitchell, on Flickr][/img]
Ahh Renaults..had a Dauphine, Gordini, 10, 16..all great cars!

yep,
had all them and going back in time 4CV [ one with 16TS power ] and a Dauphinoise [ With 1108 R10 power ] and coming forward in the time line - Safranne, various Espaces - and two Alpine GTA turbos. We can count one as a Renault - the other was genuine Alpine [ Grey one ].

And my last [ but one ] Dauphine - 1108 blown / injected / methanol.

Last one was a roadgoing 16TS powered D/Gordini.

Return to “Boxertech”