Help, poorly r1200s won't start!

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Copper

Help, poorly r1200s won't start!

Postby Copper » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:45 pm

Hi,

My bike was running fine about six weeks ago and has only recently had a major service.

I took it off the road to replace a front wheel bearing. Unfortunately people on ebay who sell R1200S bearing kits don't send you the right parts so it took me six weeks to fit the replacements. During which my bike was stood outside minus a front wheel.

I finally got the bearings, fitted them and stuck the bike in the garage. It was due an MOT today so on sunday I washed it, normally I do this with the engine running but for some reason I didn't bother. After washing it I tried to start it the engine turned over sluggishly fired a few times but wouldn't start. I thought the battery must have gone flat after being stood up so I charged it but the next day still the same problem worse still there is a squealing noise coming from under the alternator cover.

I though the battery was duff so today took it to Bristol batteries they tested it said it was duff and £45 later I had a new battery. I have just installed it in the bike and, you guessed it exactly the same the batter only has enough juice to turn it over about 8 times, I can smell unburnt fuel at the exhaust.

Any ideas what is wrong where to start stripping it down?

Regards,

Jon

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Have you charged the new battery?
Depending on the type and when it was filled with acid it might nbot be in perfect health

ted

Postby ted » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:24 pm

can you put a spare plug into the coil and see if its sparking?

Droptarotter

Postby Droptarotter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:26 am

Also try some fresh fuel.
Could the squealing noise be rodents??

Cheers

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:15 pm

spark check first as its handy ,, then fuel , ,,,

but before either of those it has to be turning over well ,,
strangely enough i rebuilt two starters this morning.
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

Copper

Postby Copper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:18 pm

Hi thanks,

The battery came with the acid and I filled it myself.

I charged it again overnight and tried it still no go although it did fire more than previously.

I think its got damp in there somewhere and hopefully will slowly dry out.

How many times should a fully charged battery turn the engine over? It seems like it only turns over about 10 times before its flat. I wonder if the starter is on its way out?

Jon

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:29 am

Jump start it off a bloody big battery with its engine running,might do the trick.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:22 pm

The Battery on this bike is pretty wimpy and it has to turn against the compression and friction of a big twin, so I am not surprised its only turning over a few times before weakening.

Fuel can go off pretty quickly and I have heard of it causing issues. I have also heard about water collecting around the coils causing issues after cleaning. I would pull the coil sticks and make sure everything is dry. Pull the main spark plugs while you are there and check for fouling.

Squealing I am presuming is the alt belt? Damp again? Mine has never made a noise after a wash. Take off the cover and check belt condition and tension. It seems unlikely but perhaps problems with the alternator or drive are causing excessive friction which the battery is having to fight against. I have never heard of a seized alternator on this model, but its not uncommon in the car world. It should spin freely with this belt removed.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:33 pm

fresh battery and a squirt of easy start if it's been sat for a while can get it going. once it's running give it a good thrashing to clear any crap out of the injectors and then put new fuel in it.
my triumph is a bastard to start and will run badly if left for any amount of time. but a few miles with a firm right wrist will cure it

Copper

Postby Copper » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:08 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm leaving the battery on charge and trying to start it each day. Failed again today but it is trying.

I pulled out the top coil in the right hand cylinder (uppermost when on the side stand so most likely to collect water) it was bone dry. I have been working all week so haven't had much time to spend on it.

I've got a HD booster pack but that won't even turn the engine over, I don't think the big croc clips on it make a good enough connection on the battery terminals.

Can I get the easy start into the intakes without taking anything apart ?

Regards,

Jon

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:48 pm

Droptarotter wrote:Also try some fresh fuel.
Could the squealing noise be rodents??

Cheers

As in critters. :shock:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

ted

Postby ted » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:29 pm

i wonder if the washing is more significant than it appears, In a bit of a doomsday scenario - could significant amounts of water have gone down the air inlet on the right hand fairing - then into the airbox and then the cylinder? Could this also have happened when it was outside - ie large amounts of rain water? When a car head gasket fails (giving the same effect ie water into a cylinder) it is very slow to turn over as the engine tries to compress a liquid (which it cant).It then normally clears it and the cars starts up but usually misfires until the water is removed out of the cylinder. If water has got in there and left for several weeks it might have caused some form of corrosion in the cylinders. It might be wise to remove a plug from each cylinder and see how easy it is to turn the engine over by hand - if its pretty stiff it would explain the poor turnover rate by the battery. I have heard of restorers when starting old engines putting WD40 down the bore and turning over by hand to free off any seized rings etc.

Like i said, its a bit of a doomsday scenario and hopefully miles off the mark, bur it might be worth turning the engine by hand with the plugs out , just to eliminate it

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:13 pm

if its turning over at all , its not likely to be water in the cylinders etc ,,, dont panic mr manwering ,, probably just damp in the coil or hall sens or wires some where , park it some where nice and warm for a day or two , im sure that will help ,, id not be bothering with easy start either ,,, its not very good for anything other than taking sticky labels off new parts ,,
keep us informed on how things go

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:21 pm

just another thought ,,, may be worth taking the plugs out and giving them a clean ,, if you wire brush them and set the gaps again . it will do no harm , also when out put them in the plug leads , earth the plugs to the cylinder head , and hit the starter , it will give you a quick look at the spark , and clear the cylinders out too , while confirming the starters happy to wiz the engine over , [confirms the starters working , and the magnets havnt fallen off] make sure you earth the plugs , or you could damage the coils , if thats basic , sorry ... just thinking outloud.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:27 am

dysondiver wrote:
id not be bothering with easy start either ,,, its not very good for anything other than taking sticky labels off new parts ,,
keep us informed on how things go

+1.

Petrol mixed with air is very combustible.

...... If you can get a spark to it. :oops:

Return to “Boxertech”