pissing petrol

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

gus

pissing petrol

Postby gus » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:15 pm

Hi all
Just a quikie to remind everyone to check fasteners and such like.
About to go out for a ride with my mate and his new bike(Honda sp2).I start my bike up and get a very strong wiff of petrol,bike is running very rough aswell.Leg feels wet too!Look down and petrol is pissing out of the right side of the bike.On further inspection a hose clip has come loose where the rubber fuel hoses connect to the plastic tubes which go to the fuel pressure reg.Right bastard to get to with body work in place.Would not like this to happen when on the move,think colin edwards on the aprilla cube in germany a couple of years ago.Has this happened to anyone else?
gus
ps had a go for an hour or so on the SP2.Farrrrrrrking ell!

nab 301

Re: pissing petrol

Postby nab 301 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:57 pm

gus wrote:Hi all
gus

Did you park them side by side? the bars on the sp2 are down near the cyl heads on the S :shock:
Nigel B

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

gus

Postby gus » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:49 pm

Bloody hell
the things tiny compared to the s.I,m used to seeing acres of bike in front of me on the S,not alot in front of the SP.
I could get used to the power though!Hard as a plank of wood though.I was getting thrown out the seat most of the time.
Still looks bloody ace too.
gus

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:16 pm

Yeah lot to be said for the chasis on the S...very overlooked.
I've backed everything off on the Tuono....front is just too light....hit a ripple in the road and it winds you!Infact i've got the compression damping wound right off on the back and it's still too hard.....anyone got any cheap Ohlins??
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:50 am

No ohlins, I'm afraid, but I have some spare stock BMW springs (front one lightly crashed by Julian :wink: ) I might be prepared to let go for the right price. What length spring are you running on the Tuna's telelever at the front? :smilebox:

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

dave2wheels

Postby dave2wheels » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:44 am

Hi Gus
(sorry for the delay in replying but I didn't have a fuel leak then!)

I only had fuel misting around the pipes after they replaced the fuel clips as one of their recall notices-I had had no bother up to that point.

As the fuel smell got much stronger recently and I noticed a stain on the right side of engine. Turns out the fuel hose (angled piece at back of engine) had somehow become pinched/cut/nicked - could only have been sharp stone down the back but the bike has always had a hugger on.

You could feel the difference of if losing pressure bike has much sharper acceleration again now. Telltale sign is fuel smell as the staining on the engine RHS was tiny (up the the point that it literally exploded).

Dave

bikemad99

Re: pissing petrol

Postby bikemad99 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:19 pm

gus wrote:Hi all
Just a quikie to remind everyone to check fasteners and such like.
About to go out for a ride with my mate and his new bike(H*nda sp2).I start my bike up and get a very strong wiff of petrol,bike is running very rough aswell.Leg feels wet too!Look down and petrol is pissing out of the right side of the bike.On further inspection a hose clip has come loose where the rubber fuel hoses connect to the plastic tubes which go to the fuel pressure reg.Right bastard to get to with body work in place.Would not like this to happen when on the move,think colin edwards on the aprilla cube in germany a couple of years ago.Has this happened to anyone else?
gus

Gus,
in view of your recent posts,now seems a good time to tighten all your fuel pipes.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

gus

Postby gus » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:47 pm

Reg
Would you believe i changed then all on the day i had my crash.Along with new gearbox/bevel box oil and a general checkover.I was out doing a shakedown run when the unfortunate happened.
In hindsight i should have left the fuel leak alone.The bike would have gone up a treat with the magnesium covers providing the sparks.I would have then been able to claim,as i,m covered TPFT!
gus

Return to “Boxertech”