Air

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Andrew Burt

Air

Postby Andrew Burt » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:11 pm

Hello,

Can anyone advise or make a recommendation on the various air intake mods for the R1100S? Iv'e heard a about some of the advantages of doing this mod but only know of the boxer performance carbon fibre duct (expensive) and the one from San Jose BMW in the states. Are there alternatves to these two options?

Grateful for any comments, thanks in advance,

Andrew :?
The Big Banana

sandbar

Re: Air

Postby sandbar » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:11 pm

Andrew Burt wrote:Hello,

Can anyone advise or make a recommendation on the various air intake mods for the R1100S? Iv'e heard a about some of the advantages of doing this mod but only know of the boxer performance carbon fibre duct (expensive) and the one from San Jose BMW in the states. Are there alternatves to these two options?

Grateful for any comments, thanks in advance,

Andrew :?

I don't in any way claim to speak with authority on this subject, but I have been a little way down this route recently. Try reading down the following thread and see if you get any help from it.

http://212.67.202.165/~boxertrix/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2020

The route that you go down seems to me to depend on what you are trying to achieve. Power at the top or more useable mid-range.

Good luck

Sandbar
www.sandbarcomposites.co.uk

Andrew Burt

Air

Postby Andrew Burt » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:25 am

Thanks Sanbar,

Your response is aprreciated and the link was interesting. I might have a go at this to see what its like. If I don't like, I can simply re-plug the holes with suitably sized grommits.

Have you made any mod to the front end of the Air duct, like adding a super duct! take a look at http://bikes.sjbmw.com/docs/parts/parts ... b_cat_id=4

Any idea what a "lennies" duct is?

Thanks

Andrew :)
The Big Banana

sandbar

Re: Air

Postby sandbar » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:39 am

Andrew Burt wrote:Have you made any mod to the front end of the Air duct, like adding a super duct!
Any idea what a "lennies" duct is?
Andrew :)

No. It seemed to me that the major restriction is where it goes around the battery, so you either need to get rid of the restriction or let air in after the restriction. There doesn't seem to be much point in opening up the front of the inlet if the air still has to go through that restriction.

Lennies is the name given to the 'Induct' because I believe the guy who invented (and makes??) it is called Lennie! I believe it is the same thing as sold by Boxer performance.

I have not done anything other than shown in that thread, but in my mind I have got a mega-plan which involves moving the battery rearwards to under the seat where there is plenty of room if you use the single seat as seen on my show bike. Then have a mega pipe with no battery to go round and therefore no restriction. But I will not do it as I have decided to sell the show bike :cry: .

Sandbar

Andrew Burt

Postby Andrew Burt » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:38 pm

Thanks again Sanbar,

As I understand it, if you can smooth the airflow right along the standard duct, cutting out specifically the right angle into the airbox and the hopeless flexi pipe, there should be a general improvement throughout the rev range. Adding a scope to the front end is supposed to help pressurise the airbox at speed. The problem is that the after market products from the likes of boxer performance are so expensive. And why does it need to be Carbon fibre when you can't even see it! There must be some alternatives out there!

Anyway, it's a shame to hear your selling your bike, are you getting something else?

Regards

Andrew
The Big Banana

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:52 pm

Andrew Burt wrote:Thanks again Sanbar,

Adding a scope to the front end is supposed to help pressurise the airbox at speed.

I am unconvinced about the so-called ram effect. Even Kawasaki on one of their super-zoom, zillion rpm things only reckon about 5bhp gain in (from memory) about 140 and that presumably only applies at 150-ish mph. I reckon that the only way to improve it is to get rid of that sharp bend around the battery - or draw the air in afterwards. The original designs showed a large pipe from the air inlet in the side of the fairing into a pipe that went straight through the tank and then only had one right angle to go round and then straight down into the airbox. Advice from Ilmberger (who had a 132bhp 1200cc version) was to make holes in the inlet duct or get rid of it altogether. They (the Germans) can't do that for the road because of the noise. Their police would not even need to check it - they would be nicked immediately.

Andrew Burt wrote:Anyway, it's a shame to hear your selling your bike, are you getting something else?

Less (just) than 500 miles in 14 months just sitting in the garage doing nothing waiting for the odd meet or show just does not make economic sense. I hope to have a different show bike that has less money involved. :twisted:

Sandbar

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:05 pm

Andrew Burt wrote:The problem is that the after market products from the likes of boxer performance are so expensive. And why does it need to be Carbon fibre when you can't even see it! There must be some alternatives out there!

San Jose or Lennies are your options. Plastic injection moulds are prohibitively expensive to have made up and therefore only economically viable for production runs in the 10s of thousands - sales that BMW could only dream of :?
The present induct is a compromise of styling/engineering departments so you're stuck with it unless you want to remove half/all of it and put up with the induction noise. The other compromise on the induction side is the right angle that the mixture has to negotiate to get through the head - the boxer engine has limitations just from its basic design.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:03 pm

There is always this option (Ithink it was posted a good while back)
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/blackhole/b ... austs.html

No bends whatsoever in the intake.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:20 pm

nab 301 wrote:There is always this option (Ithink it was posted a good while back)
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/blackhole/b ... austs.html

No bends whatsoever in the intake.

Been in touch with that lot and they won't split the system so you can't have the just the intake parts - which is a shame :cry: and as for that abomination of an end can ???????? what's that all about ?
Lloyd

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:35 pm

[quote="
Been in touch with that lot and they won't split the system so you can't have the just the intake parts - which is a shame :cry: and as for that abomination of an end can ???????? what's that all about ?[/quote]

I don't know I think I could get used to it , especially as the $/ € combination is a lot better than the £stg/ € combination(and I still have a very rattly cat/collecter box.

1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
'03 Bullet 65 project..

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:58 pm

Go on then, I dare ya 8)
Lloyd

Andrew Burt

Thanks

Postby Andrew Burt » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:24 am

Thanks to all that responded, it's been helpful, looks like I've either got to put my hand in my pocket or get my drill out. Drill battery on charge as I write!

As for that abomination of an end can, I'm with Boxerpan, Go on then, I dare ya too :D
The Big Banana

sandbar

Re: Thanks

Postby sandbar » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:53 am

Andrew Burt wrote:Drill battery on charge as I write!

Keep us posted :shock:

Sandbar

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:02 pm

boxerpan wrote:Go on then, I dare ya 8)

I don't know what you mean, looks like something on aBSB stobart Honda.
Great for hanging the supermarket shopping bags on.
Seriously, the looks wouldnt worry me if the performance gains could be guarranteed, and I could work out what customs would want.
Then again i'm on record as being a fan of standard. Does anyone have a cat they don't want?
Nigel B

1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
'03 Bullet 65 project..

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:11 am

nab 301 wrote:
boxerpan wrote:Go on then, I dare ya 8)

I don't know what you mean, looks like something on aBSB stobart H*nda.
and I could work out what customs would want.
Then again i'm on record as being a fan of standard. Does anyone have a cat they don't want?
Nigel B

and look how well Stobarts Honda is doing !

Customs would as usual want you to touch your toes while they lined up to shaft you if the UK import folks are anything to go by :oops: How good are they in Eire ?

Unwanted CATs usually struggle to fetch £20 on Ebay, that may be the place to look or stick a line on Bits Wanted/For Sale section below.
Lloyd

Return to “Boxertech”