Gear box Clutch issue.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

roadburner

Gear box Clutch issue.

Postby roadburner » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Had an awful noise starting to come from the bike last time out, Whining/grinding noise when running and in neutral that went when i pulled the clutch in.
Difficult to tell how bad it was whilst riding due to not being able to hear much over the sound of the full lazer system, but when in gear on the stand and teh clutch pulled in the noise sounded liek a bucket of spanners in a washing machine.
First thought was the input splines even though it's a 2004 model with less than 30K on it, but quickly took it apart and there doesn't seem to be any damage.
took the box apart and can't see anything obvious (apart from what feels like a lot of lash between input and output shafts)
So finally my question is what is the likely culprit, Clutch? thrust release bearings( if it has any)?
or somethiing more obvious
Last edited by roadburner on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:26 pm

"Quickly took it apart" isn't a term you usually associate with removing a BMW bike clutch :D

Have you removed the clutch from the engine?

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Quickly is a relative term. Took about 3.5 hours which I thought was pretty good. Nope, haven't got the clutch off yet, my back had had enough by then. So I'll look at that tomorrow. I originally thought that if it's the clutch it'll be a cheap fix,and then I looked at the price of a complete clutch kit- Ouch!

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:36 pm

Pete. wrote:"Quickly took it apart" isn't a term you usually associate with removing a BMW bike clutch :D

?
yeh, my sentiments exactly, some people just know how to make you feel inadequate :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:16 pm

roadburner wrote:Quickly is a relative term. Took about 3.5 hours which I thought was pretty good. Nope, haven't got the clutch off yet, my back had had enough by then. So I'll look at that tomorrow. I originally thought that if it's the clutch it'll be a cheap fix,and then I looked at the price of a complete clutch kit- Ouch!

3.5hrs ain't bad those gearboxes can be a bit of a bitch to split. What method do you use, strip the whole back end down, hinge the subframe up or split the bike in two?

dysondiver

Postby dysondiver » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:43 pm

see what happens when the clutch comes off ,,,, that should tell tales
its not a boxer , its a 180 degree v-twin

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Pete. wrote:
roadburner wrote:Quickly is a relative term. Took about 3.5 hours which I thought was pretty good. Nope, haven't got the clutch off yet, my back had had enough by then. So I'll look at that tomorrow. I originally thought that if it's the clutch it'll be a cheap fix,and then I looked at the price of a complete clutch kit- Ouch!

3.5hrs ain't bad those gearboxes can be a bit of a bitch to split. What method do you use, strip the whole back end down, hinge the subframe up or split the bike in two?

Took the whole seat frame off first. TBH it's only one connection block and 4 bolts, so wasn't worth leaving it on. I was lucky however as the rear exhausts just slid off the link pipe, so was able to leave them on the frame.

Also had a look at the clutch and the friction plate looks ok. Could only be that if it is the clutch as the noise goes when the levers pulled in.
Can't see anything obvious now the box is split but the bearings (especially on the input shaft) seem to have a far amount of wobble in them. Couldnt get the i3 shafts to come out today although the input will move.. there's a guy near me that builds boxes for WRC cars, so I'll see if u can blag 20 minutes of his time on Monday.

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:45 pm

Todays update. bloke near me wasn't in today so had a go myself.
Heat gun on the case and got it to about 130C output shaft slid out but the intermediate shaft took a load of brute force with a slide hammer to get out. Anyway upshot is that the inter shaft bearing is shagged, so easy fix, I'll order a full set of bearings and seals tonight seeing as they're only a couple of quid each. Nice cheap fix at least, and a damn sight cheaper than a grand for a recon box

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Happy(ish) days!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:31 pm

I'm using a phone to look at the pics so not so easy to be sure, but the splines on the clutch don't look that clever. The small area which isn't used seems to show the used area as being somewhat worn.
You going to take the clutch off to check it over?
Have you seen the longer splined drive part on Pelican? It would make sense to change it since you have done all the hard work.
Nice spannering!

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:45 pm

Neil, splines on the clutch are fine, it's just a build up of moly grease ar the back that makes them look less worn.
Got most of it back together tiday after losing about 3 hours fighting to get the prop shaft on. Long story but my mate that helped me didn't make sure it was properly engaged so had to go back 3 stages.
Also how F'ing expensive is moly paste?
25 quid for a tube.

1200boxer

Postby 1200boxer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:04 pm

roadburner wrote:Neil, splines on the clutch are fine, it's just a build up of moly grease ar the back that makes them look less worn.
Got most of it back together tiday after losing about 3 hours fighting to get the prop shaft on. Long story but my mate that helped me didn't make sure it was properly engaged so had to go back 3 stages.
Also how F'ing expensive is moly paste?
25 quid for a tube.

I got a tube from BMW for 12 Euros.

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:22 am

in the end a mate sorted me out with the moly grease i just had to nip into M sport and pick it up. The joys of having contacts still in the trade.

Return to “Boxertech”