R850R gearbox changes

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

pc-uk007

R850R gearbox changes

Postby pc-uk007 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi,So many questions to ask sorry, I have had a really good ride of my new investment today and I have found gear changes are a bit clunky also when I try to change into first gear from second gear moving along it grinds but stationary it goes in no problem,

Do I change gearbox oil if so what oil grade??or is this normal and first gear has to be only used when stationary ??

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:34 pm

I think the 850 has a cable clutch (my 1150 is hydraulic), if so I would start here with re-adjustment before looking at more expensive options.

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Re: R850R gearbox changes

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:46 pm

pc-uk007 wrote: also when I try to change into first gear from second gear moving along it grinds but stationary it goes in no problem,

Do I change gearbox oil if so what oil grade??or is this normal and first gear has to be only used when stationary ??

1st gear is way to low to need when going along or cornering so why select it when moving - if you are slowing down by the time you'd need 1st your brakes will stop you.

I also found my 1100S and ST 1200st have the same issue so I just don't select 1st when on the move unless I can help it. When coming to a stop just snick it into neutral and then select 1st when you are ready to move off.

p.s. I have found that fully synthetic gearbox oil seems to work well with the BMW box of neutrals
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:58 pm

dark_knight87 wrote:I think the 850 has a cable clutch (my 1150 is hydraulic), if so I would start here with re-adjustment before looking at more expensive options.

Regards,
Russ

I have spoken to previous owners at my t bar and it looks as clunky gear changes are normal for these boxes so may it maybe normal thanks for input and will check clutch cable for adjustment.

pc-uk007

Re: R850R gearbox changes

Postby pc-uk007 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:06 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:
pc-uk007 wrote: also when I try to change into first gear from second gear moving along it grinds but stationary it goes in no problem,

1st gear is way to low to need when going along or cornering so why select it when moving - if you are slowing down by the time you'd need 1st your brakes will stop you.

I also found my 1100S and ST 1200st have the same issue so I just don't select 1st when on the move unless I can help it. When coming to a stop just snick it into neutral and then select 1st when you are ready to move off.

p.s. I have found that fully synthetic gearbox oil seems to work well with the BMW box of neutrals

Hi, Enjoying bike but just not use to animal and what gear that is selected on change down till you hear grinding noise Arrrghhh Ist gear, I will look at synthetic oils do you know what grade of oil these boxes take ??

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:32 pm

I'd happily try the grades suggested here:

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... n-oil.html

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:19 pm

Blackal wrote:I'd happily try the grades suggested here:

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... n-oil.html

Al :)
Wow not easy choosing oil grades is it.

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:26 am

Thank you for help with oil recommendations I have ordered 75w90 semi synthetic oil for winter use in my final drive unit and the five speed gearbox with intentions of changing it to 90 SAE oil for summer use and 20w50 mineral oil for my engine for winter and summer use.

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:12 pm

pc-uk007 wrote:Thank you for help with oil recommendations I have ordered 75w90 semi synthetic oil for winter use in my final drive unit and the five speed gearbox with intentions of changing it to 90 SAE oil for summer use and 20w50 mineral oil for my engine for winter and summer use.

Just a update of 75w90 GL5 oil I have been using over the past few weeks in my 5 speed gearbox, I have found my gearbox slipping out of first gear into neutral when pulling away from rest so have drained this oil from gearbox and refilled with SAE 90 GL5 oil, I do not have this issue with slipping out of gear any longer and the other gear changes do not seem to be so clunky either, I have now also changed the oil in final drive unit as well to SAE 90 GL5.

Return to “Boxertech”