2000 year R850R a failing to crank over engine

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

pc-uk007

2000 year R850R a failing to crank over engine

Postby pc-uk007 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi I have had this bike only a short period of time and this starting issue I have happened at the selling Honda dealer (not a BMW dealer) and was tested out by them and a new battery was fitted the charging system was tested and was told this engine has high cylinder compressions ?

occasionally after riding bike and stood a short while the engine will not crank over only a clunk from starter motor can be heard if I continue with pressing starter motor button only a clunk can be heard when starter button is depressed after 3 or 4 times pressing starter motor start switch it will then crank engine and engine starts as expected on one occasion I stalled bike while in traffic and same thing happened,

when testing this fault at home in my garage for starter motor failure I wanted to test it without engine firing up so used a jump wire to solenoid to just crank engine I have tested motor several times without any failures, typical when you want it to fail and you have a voltmeter to hand,

Has anyone here come across this fault with their bike ??

Groceryrun

Postby Groceryrun » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:09 pm

I would start with the starter motor.
The starter motor is exposed to a lot of clutch and spline dust.
On some of the old starter motors, the magnets came un-done.
On some of the old starter motors, the armature cover got loose and shorted the starter motor.

Take it off , have a look and clean it up at the lest.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:17 pm

As above - if the starter solenoid appears to be kicking the bendix in, then it could well be a "lazy" starter motor.

I chased around the belief I had a duff battery on my car for a while - until I bit the bullet and changed the starter motor.

Good luck

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Groceryrun wrote:I would start with the starter motor.
The starter motor is exposed to a lot of clutch and spline dust.
On some of the old starter motors, the magnets came un-done.
On some of the old starter motors, the armature cover got loose and shorted the starter motor.

Take it off , have a look and clean it up at the lest.

Interesting that that magnets come undone can this be checked by taking motor off bike as I will be checking for clutch dust contamination.

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:41 pm

Blackal wrote:As above - if the starter solenoid appears to be kicking the bendix in, then it could well be a "lazy" starter motor.

I chased around the belief I had a duff battery on my car for a while - until I bit the bullet and changed the starter motor.

Good luck

Al

Hi Al I will do the groceryrun tests if I can prove a starter motor failure while bike under its three month secondhand warranty period I will be able to get selling dealer to replace it without any cost to myself.

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:10 pm

What is your oil level like- could be too high?

If you get the issue again, try this: -

Remove the plugs and then try and crank the motor over on the starter, the motor should free up and turn over faster and faster, don't turn it over too much though only until it sounds a normal speed, now install the plugs and then see if she will run.

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:24 pm

dark_knight87 wrote:What is your oil level like- could be too high?

If you get the issue again, try this: -

Remove the plugs and then try and crank the motor over on the starter, the motor should free up and turn over faster and faster, don't turn it over too much though only until it sounds a normal speed, now install the plugs and then see if she will run.

Regards,
Russ

Hi Russ, Thanks for your input, Oil and filter changed level was correct before and after oil change , changing oil has made no difference to starter motor issue,

The fault appears to happen randomly and catches you out when you do not expect it, a real pain,

It will undoubtedly fail completely on me and then I will be able to trace the problem.

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:57 pm

I may have found my starter motor intermittent malfunction I have found the copper link strap from battery neg terminal to negative wire getting hot on cranking so removed the strap filed all mating surfaces to link strap, battery lug and neg lead refitted and now connection is not getting hot at all and so far touch wood no starter probs :)

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:25 pm

pc-uk007 wrote:I may have found my starter motor intermittent malfunction I have found the copper link strap from battery neg terminal to negative wire getting hot on cranking so removed the strap filed all mating surfaces to link strap, battery lug and neg lead refitted and now connection is not getting hot at all and so far touch wood no starter probs :)

Its been a few weeks now since I rectified this connection from battery and I am please to say starter motor has not given me any more problems. :)

Return to “Boxertech”