De-Cat pipe

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

RonB58

De-Cat pipe

Postby RonB58 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:25 pm

I was wondering what the advantages are of ditching the catalytic converter on my R1100S? Is there a power gain, more noise from the exhausts?
Also if anyone has fitted one which one?

Many thanks,

Ron

Magic Man

RonB58 Joined: 05 Nov 2016 Posts: 4 PostPosted: Wed Nov

Postby Magic Man » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:07 pm

I have the Remus pipes and the Y piece conversion, It sounds amazing and so I'm told smooths out the lower end rev range. My system came fitted with the bike but my son got his pipes from Motorworks. I would not go back to the standard set up.
Hope that helps, MM

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Hi,
Weight saving, improved looks, slight noise improvement on standard cans. No performance gains (in my opinion).
A good thing to do, however it can be a twat of job if bolts are seized or corroded, I had to drill out all of mine, and welly the exhaust off with hammer and block (thus weakening the welds on the end can, and fell apart) maybe I was unlucky?!
I got the Chinese one off eBay and it's good, but if your lucky there maybe a second hand one turn up.
For me, the best part of this is the looks and weight saving.
Hope this helps,
Rich

Magic Man

Weight saving, improved looks, slight noise improvement on s

Postby Magic Man » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Yes I have to say changing the pipes was a right ball ache! seriously hard work.

Britisherspy

Postby Britisherspy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:26 pm

My bike has a y-piece and standard can - its just nice as it is. I had a boxer cup a few years ago with Y piece and lasers cans - it sounded fantastic - but with the price of a replacement exhaust for these being pretty high I'm not sure the extra noise is worth ~ £300 or so.

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:44 pm

I think a lot of bikes sound great with more open pipes.
Anything V, like Guzzi's (although maybe not Harley's)
The best sound I ever heard from a bike was a Honda Firestorm fitted with twin Remus.
It sounded glorious.
However, BMW twins I think sound gopping with aftermarket cans.
I heard a GS the other day with one fitted, and it sounded like an old tractor with a blown manifold.
Horrible.
In standard trim, BMW's may have all the audio appeal of a Hoover aquamaster, but for me that is preferable to how they sound with open pipes.

RonB58

Postby RonB58 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:53 pm

I think the DeCat Y pipe is the way to go. First of all are the Chinese ones any good as that as all I can find online.
Secondly is there a better option or does anyone know of a second hand one?
My only worry is once I try to take the header bolts out that they shear off!

Ron

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:15 pm

Chinese one I have fitted seems a good quality, nice welds etc, slightly smaller diameter than the factory pipe, so a good clamp with adjustment is required.
No need too remove header bolts, just where the cat meets the down pipes. Take care to remove lambda sensor carefully.
Import tax applicable to Chinese decat, think it cost me around 180 all together.
Maybe others on eBay, think I recall seeing one.
Hope this helps,
Rich

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:17 pm

[quote="RonB58"]I think the DeCat Y pipe is the way to go. First of all are the Chinese ones any good as that as all I can find online.
Secondly is there a better option or does anyone know of a second hand one?
My only worry is once I try to take the header bolts out that they shear off!

Ron[/quote]

Ron, you wont need to touch the headers (unless you want to take them off for cleaning) the Y pce starts at the cat upto the twin tail pipes.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

RonB58

Postby RonB58 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:09 am

Yep I know I dont really need to take the headers off but do fancy giving them a buff on the burnisher!
Good to hear the Chinese Y pipe works, certainly the pics look very acceptable.

Thanks guys,

Ron

RSBowling

Postby RSBowling » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:19 am

http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21575

Was a thread I started earlier this year, has bit more detail on de cat.

I also want to remove headers. I have bought a fancy multi tool blade for cutting hard metal, going to attempt to slit the header bolts and brake them off the stud! Wish me luck!

Rich

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:26 am

If you only do one it should be the link pipe. I had a Remus link and Lasers on mine and it sounded fantastic but when the bracket for the lasers snapped I installed the standard silencer whilst the lasers were being repaired and the sound was still great (albeit slightly muted) and still had a bit of crackle on the over run 'and' it improved back pressure and made the bike less 'fluffy' from a low throttle. Mine 'did' have a lot of other mods though which may have contributed to the 'small throttle' fluffiness.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

RonB58

Postby RonB58 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:13 am

DeCat pipe ordered from Danmoto, seems to work out a bit cheaper than the Chinese ones even though it is the same thing.

Decided to pull the headers off and yep, 3 nuts sheared.

One thing I have noticed with BMW builds, they use steel bolts with threadlock and obviously no grease so corrosion is a major factor, much worse than any Jap bike I've worked on.

With the 3 remaining head studs I'm going to try heat and mole grips, if that fails I will try left handed drills.

If anyone has a better idea at removing studs with the cylinder heads intact let me know.

Cheers,

Ron

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:05 pm

I appear to be one of the few that hasn't had snapped studs when removing. I got a local bike breaker/dealer to cherry red the nuts and they came off OK. The threads on the nuts were knackered but the studs were OK - guess who regularly removes and lubes the threads often?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

RonB58

Postby RonB58 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Hi Dave,
I have only just got the bike and nearly every fastener has caused me problems but be sure once I get them all sorted they will be greased and loosened/tightened regularly!
Will use brass nuts on the new studs once I make them. I think 20mm into the head will be fine.
May use stainless for the studs as opposed to steel, though I'm tempted by brass.

Cheers mate,

Ron

Return to “Boxertech”